Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#298463 - 30/05/2007 00:23 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: loren]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
By all means dump as much as you can. Takes a lot less time and effort.
Be Ruthless!

You can look at it as a chance to get new better spec stuff should you find you even need to replace the binned items.

#298464 - 30/05/2007 17:48 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: tanstaafl.]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Quote:
PS - anyone have any tips about the actual logistics of MOVING? Gotchas and stuff that happened to you that I might not think of?

I could write a fscking book!

Well, he mentioned in the next sentence that he's doing a self-move with a Penske truck, so all this will be avoided.

A result of my last move, which entailed packing a 26' moving truck:

* It takes way more time to pack the truck than you think, especially if you're trying to be careful about both filling the space, and even weight distribution.

* Get tie-down rope. Lots of it. I bought 200' of 1" webbing from REI (my new company was footing the bill for the move), and used all of it.

* Everyone looks to grocery and liquor stores for free packing boxes, but hardly anyone hits up the pet stores.

* If parking is a problem where you're at, go down to city hall, and get them to reserve a spot for the truck. The parking folks will come put no-parking/tow zone signs out the day before, and give you a number to call to have people towed. In LA, it cost about $50, but it was far less aggravating than just hoping to get lucky with a spot big enough for a 26' moving truck.

* If you have the time, write the contents of boxes on the box (or on a paper taped to the outside of the box). At the very least, write the room on the box.

* If you have to (or get to, if the company is paying) spend money, do your best to spend it on things that you'll keep and re-use -- such as clear plastic storage containers, rather than cardboard boxes. It's a tax write-off.

#298465 - 30/05/2007 18:02 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Everyone looks to grocery and liquor stores for free packing boxes, but hardly anyone hits up the pet stores.

Also try freecycle.org. There's likely to be someone who just moved somewhere near where you're leaving who can't wait to get rid of those now useless boxes.

#298466 - 30/05/2007 19:03 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: canuckInOR]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
At the very least, write the room on the box.

Good advice. We did this, which made it go much more smoothly. On the other hand, all of the boxes that we couldn't figure out what to do with got labelled "Bedroom 3". Bedroom 3 quickly filled up

We also numbered each box, and had a list showing which box number went into which room and a brief description of the contents.

Makes it much easier to find things in the first few days when you've not finished unpacking.

#298467 - 01/06/2007 23:55 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: tanstaafl.]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
I have purchased (for the princely sum of $1.00) an old 45-passenger school bus.

tanstaafl, you are a king among men. That's a brilliant solution.

#298468 - 02/06/2007 04:20 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: canuckInOR]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
Very nice, everything I keep in mind for moving people.

The only thing I have to say is avoid penske trucks.. budget does a better job with keeping their trucks working.

I recently did a cross-country move (MN to CA) in a penske (E300 16' truck) worked ok.. the truck was limited to 75mph, which sucks, but worked ok as a cruise control.. (most rental trucks don't have cruise)

I wish they had a diesel/manual option in the non-commercial rentals.. would make driving a lot less sucky. 4 speed autos are TERRIBLE at getting over mountains.

#298469 - 04/06/2007 17:16 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: SuperQ]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The only thing I have to say is avoid penske trucks.. budget does a better job with keeping their trucks working.

Heh. Penske was multiple steps up from my previous experience, which was with U-Haul.

The only trouble I had was getting the truck started -- until I figured out that you needed to push down on the key before trying to turn it (this was an International truck -- I don't know if that feature exists in other makes). I have no idea if the truck was limited, or not -- I didn't get anywhere close to 75mph.

#298470 - 04/06/2007 17:18 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
The only trouble I had was getting the truck started -- until I figured out that you needed to push down on the key before trying to turn it (this was an International truck -- I don't know if that feature exists in other makes).

Heh. How old are you and did you ever drive an American car? That's a "showing my age" thing that hadn't occurred to me.

#298471 - 04/06/2007 19:35 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
The only trouble I had was getting the truck started -- until I figured out that you needed to push down on the key before trying to turn it (this was an International truck -- I don't know if that feature exists in other makes).

Heh. How old are you and did you ever drive an American car? That's a "showing my age" thing that hadn't occurred to me.

I'm 32, and yes, I've driven American cars -- mostly as rentals, so nothing older than the late '80s (a Ford Ranger, which so greatly coloured my experience with American vehicles I'll never buy another one). My regular ride is a Nissan (can't wait for that new Jag -- I hear it's going to have fantastic styling... ), and it's been a while since driving any American vehicle, old or not. If I'm not mistaken, though, didn't they require you to, after inserting the key, push in on the key, before turning it? This was definitely an insert key, and push down on the key -- the key cylinder was horizontal on a vertical dash, and you pushed the key toward the floor.

#298472 - 04/06/2007 21:39 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Oh, I seem to have gotten my directions confused.

I thought you meant "in" by "down".

Nevermind.

#298473 - 02/07/2007 02:50 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: wfaulk]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I'm here, unpacked (from the truck, no where near from the boxes), and it all went pretty smoothly. Penske rules. Fark U-Haul. Whomever suggested getting a ton of rope (I think CanuckInOR) thanks, I wouldn't have remembered that and it was invaluable. I bought a cheap spool of rope and it was perfect.

Got my first few flights in the past couple days and still can't believe this is my new home. It was 107 f'n degrees today in the valley, not used to that by a LONG stretch. All of this walking around barefoot in shorts and a t-shirt at night is freaking me out.

Thanks again for all the advice guys!

#298474 - 02/07/2007 04:18 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: loren]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Welcome to the valley! Now there are 3 empegs that I'm aware of here.

Did you make it to Big Cottonwood Canyon and back for one of those flights? It's awesome how far you can go along the front. What really sucks about the heat is you'll get used to it, then we'll cool off and see highs in the teens or 20's in January. Then comes the heat again.

Welcome again!

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#298475 - 02/07/2007 05:33 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: mlord]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

If you want to keep the babe, you must go east with her, and paraglide in Franconia Notch etc..

Loren, no offense bro, but listen to that sage advice. If you leave her for a year, you better plan on losing her. The odds are stacked greatly against you in that situation.

#298476 - 02/07/2007 19:37 Re: Moving from SF to SLC, and life advice [Re: Waterman981]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Quote:
Welcome to the valley! Now there are 3 empegs that I'm aware of here.

Did you make it to Big Cottonwood Canyon and back for one of those flights? It's awesome how far you can go along the front. What really sucks about the heat is you'll get used to it, then we'll cool off and see highs in the teens or 20's in January. Then comes the heat again.

Welcome again!

Thanks! I haven't flown the mountians yet, still unpacking. Had a few flights here in my backyard though. Will be heading up to Olympus some point very soon.

Quote:
Loren, no offense bro, but listen to that sage advice. If you leave her for a year, you better plan on losing her. The odds are stacked greatly against you in that situation.

1. Too late
2. She decided to leave ME for a year to move to Boston for a residency, which was followed by this decision, the reasons for which were outlined in the first post. I don't resent it in any way, it's something we knew was going to happen in our relationship for years. Neither of us are in any sort of denial about how difficult this is going to be and what the odds are. But we are smart enough to know that holding each other back and building resentments about it over years is WAY more likely to kill our relationship. As much as I hate the saying, this is one of those "if you love something let it go" type situations. Losing her would annihilate me for quite a while, but being with her and being unhappy and unfulfilled would be almost as bad. I don't think it's too healthy to rely solely on a person to make you happy. It's got to be a balance.

Hell, we don't even know if we want to live in the same place after this year is up. It's all incredibly difficult and we'll either get through it or we won't, but this path is the one that feels (and reasons) right despite the hardships it entails. At any rate, we're going to try our hardest to make it work, frequent visits, lots of talking, video conferencing, etc. Odds schmods.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2