Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#360898 - 28/01/2014 00:40 Heating water in a stadium seat
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
I couldn't think of a better place to ask this than here.

Since the NHL and Yankee Stadium have found a way to make concessions so expensive even New Yorkers who are used to the regular ridiculously high prices disgusted, I wonder if there is a way to make hot water for tea and cocoa in my seat. The good part-they allow outside food and factory sealed bottled water into the stadium. The bad-no thermoses, no metal or glass containers, no coolers or hard sided cases. No access to electricity. The full list of prohibited items is on this PDF.

What I do have that I can bring in are two soft sided insulated bags, and those handwarmer packets. Would the combination of handwarmers in the insulated bags with some pre heated water bottles be able to get to somewhere around 130F or higher, or is there a better way I can't figure out without bringing along any of the prohibited items? Also keep in mind, NYC lacks places like Bass Pro and Cabellas. Actually, most of our sporting goods stores suck.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#360900 - 28/01/2014 10:20 Re: Heating water in a stadium seat [Re: Heather]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Only thing I could think of is a MRE-style chemical heater (iron, magnesium, salt, and water). I never tried to heat a bottle of water with it, though. No clue how ugly that would be (since you would be putting the bottle in the boiling water). It also lets off some steam, not sure if the people around you would freak out.

That might be something to play around with at home to see if you could get away with it in a stadium.

Edit: The ones I found for sale individually include the same pouch the MREs come with. Typically you fill the pouch, wrap the top, put it in the box with the main entree and lean the box against a rock. I don't know how well that would work without the cardboard box to support it.

Edited by Tim (28/01/2014 11:34)
Edit Reason: Added info

#360904 - 28/01/2014 16:48 Re: Heating water in a stadium seat [Re: Tim]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: Tim
It also lets off some steam, not sure if the people around you would freak out.

Yeah. Good luck with that, given that we live in a world when an electronic cigarette can spark a terror alert.

#360907 - 28/01/2014 23:11 Re: Heating water in a stadium seat [Re: Tim]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: Tim
It also lets off some steam, not sure if the people around you would freak out.

The people around me would probably not freak out. The police and security would.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#360910 - 29/01/2014 04:56 Re: Heating water in a stadium seat [Re: Heather]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I'm guessing this would be out too, but an 8.4v NiMH high discharge pack (radio control car style) and a 12v in-car water heater thing (that you put in a cup) might work. Lot of power in one of those packs...

#360911 - 29/01/2014 11:05 Re: Heating water in a stadium seat [Re: altman]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I figured a battery pack and wires would have a better chance of somebody freaking out over.

#360912 - 29/01/2014 11:51 Re: Heating water in a stadium seat [Re: Heather]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
These days, people are going to freak out over pretty much everything.