Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#10088 - 05/07/2000 11:46 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: rob]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

I don't think there have been any real conclusions about the sound stage issue, which is what interested me in the first place :) I guess the only real conclusion is that low bitrate MP3 files definitely destroy the sound stage, that higher bitrate files may or may not destroy it, and that what we really need is WAV playback to prove for sure how good the empeg hardware is.

Sounds about right.. It's not really fair to blame the Empeg for mp3's shortcomings..
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#10089 - 05/07/2000 13:06 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: Magsy]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
. . . Audiocatalyst, which without a DOUBT, is the worst sounding encoder u can get ( . . . ) Usin an encoder such as Lame, I really can barely tell the difference between mp3 and wav

Thanks for the links, I'll study them more closely and will certainly have a go with LAME and check for myself. (I passed testing Frauenhofer as they wanted some US$250 even for trying it out ). It's funny that, although the second link you quote is really negative on AudioCatalyst, the first link recommends it as it is supposedly LAME based:

link2
Check out this page ( . . ), highlighting Xings (ACAT`s) below par performace. (http://www.r3mix.net/)

link1
Usin an encoder such as Lame (http://www.sulaco.org/mp3/), I really can barely tell the difference between mp3 and wav.

quote from this site:
Commercial software which supports or uses LAME:
. Audiograbber. Windows ripper/encoder
. CDcopy Windows ripper/encoder
. Easy CD-DA Extractor Windows ripper/encoder, includes LAME binaries.
unquote

. . confused . .

Henno
mark2 nr: 006

#10090 - 05/07/2000 13:12 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: Henno]
dionysus
veteran

In reply to:

Thanks for the links, I'll study them more closely and will certainly have a go with LAME and check for myself. (I passed testing Frauenhofer as they wanted some US$250 even for trying it out ). It's funny that, although the second link you quote is really negative on AudioCatalyst, the first link recommends it as it is supposedly LAME based:

Audiograbber and audiocatalyst are technically different products...
-mark

#10091 - 05/07/2000 13:15 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: rob]
Henno
addict

low bitrate MP3 files definitely destroy the sound stage, that higher bitrate files may or may not destroy it, and that what we really need is WAV playback

How big a deal is it to do WAV for Emma / Mark ?
I'd love to do a comparison

Henno

#10092 - 05/07/2000 14:07 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: dionysus]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Audiograbber and audiocatalyst are technically different products...

Not really, from what I can see. Basically, Audiocatalyst is the Audiograbber front end with the Xing encoder bundled and hacked permanently into the MP3 menu.

#10093 - 05/07/2000 15:00 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: Henno]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
If you are feeling brave, and fancy playing around in the developer image, there is some information and code on the developer site to allow you to push a raw file out of the empeg (using dd if memory serves)
I don't know if it would work on a Mk2 though, as I need to sort out my cross compiler...

So it is possible, just not from the player software at the moment... =)

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 for sale 4 gig #30, apply within)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#10094 - 05/07/2000 15:08 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: Jazzwire]
Henno
addict

If you are feeling brave, and fancy playing around in the developer image, there is some information and code on the developer site to allow you to push a raw file out of the empeg

Nah, not that I'm scared or don't fancy playing around with the developer image, but I know nothing about Linux, so I'll have to pass until someone else cracks this, or empeg provides WAV support (pre-Beta, may be?)

Henno

#10095 - 05/07/2000 15:08 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: Henno]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
It should be fairly trivial to write a small application that simply plays a WAV file, without the rest of the player around it. I know that Kim Salo already has this working, as his GPS project plays sound samples on the empeg.

Integrating WAV into the player is a bit more involved. We need to change the architecture to accommodate multiple CODEC's, which is something that will become a lot easier when we switch to the new MP3/WMA CODEC's from ARM.

Rob

#10096 - 05/07/2000 15:18 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: rob]
Henno
addict

It should be fairly trivial to write a small application that simply plays a WAV file, without the rest of the player around it

I'll ask Kim. Thanks

Henno

#10097 - 05/07/2000 15:36 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: Henno]
Magsy
new poster

Ok, I have used ACAT recently, i have 2.1 on here now, its fine for ripping, just not encoding.

To answer the Xing related thing. Um, your way out :)
Audiograbber is just that, it grabs the tracks, it has an inbuilt front end for making mp3`s using external enocders, such as XING or lame, that the only relation.
It just acts as a gui for Lame.
ACAT is audiograbber, with xing built in.
I`ll get flamed for this, but if you want Opticom Mp3 Producer Pro 2, let me know..

#10098 - 05/07/2000 15:55 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: Magsy]
Henno
addict

Audiograbber is just that, it grabs the tracks, it has an inbuilt front end for making mp3`s using external enocders, such as XING or lame, that the only relation. AudioCatalyst is audiograbber, with xing built in.

You're right. The encoder settings for AudiCatalyst (2.1) say that they are for the Xing encoder.

Henno

#10099 - 06/07/2000 00:07 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: dionysus]
teemcbee
addict

Well - I didn't blame them at all! I just asked if they see anything out of this tread which should be canged. I'm pretty sure that my sound-quality-feeling will be satisfied with the Mk2.

(currently I have to listen to a tape-deck! I think everyone knows how noisy that is...)

TeeMcBee

#10100 - 11/07/2000 00:19 Re: Opinions on empeg sound stage [Re: Magsy]
Amarth
journeyman

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
I am also preparing for an Empeg mark2 and first time really got into encoding .mp3's. I have a lot of CDs (well, a couple of hundred) but ran into the problem of finding a decent mp3-encoder.

After a little work and research, I hear a lot of people were using things like MusicMatch 5.1 (www.musicmatch.com) or Xing's AudioCatalyst (www.xingtech.com) - while I have heard they were getting 'excellent reviews' from the magazines, I got really concerned whether they had covered the usual 'packaging','ease of use' etc. aspects too much.

I saw a comment about the LAME encoder (http://www.sulaco.org/mp3/) which seems to be an open source project, their webpage lists AudioGrabber (http://audiograbber.com/) as one commercial software that can use the LAME engine. I will myself give that one a try as many of my musician friends are referring AudioGrabber as a top-notch rip-utility.

#10101 - 11/07/2000 07:10 Opinions on LAME? [Re: Amarth]
dionysus
veteran

Has anyone actually tried LAME? What's people's opinion's about it? I would like to include a little section in the FAQ about what PEOPLE (and not biased reviwers) think about the different encoders...
-mark

#10102 - 11/07/2000 08:04 Re: Opinions on LAME? [Re: dionysus]
Kureg

In reply to:

Has anyone actually tried LAME? What's people's opinion's about it? I would like to include a little section in the FAQ about what PEOPLE (and not biased reviwers) think about the different encoders...

Well, I followed that link posted here not too long ago. http://www.r3mix.net/

It gave some pretty staggering results. It's makes a rather strong claim that Xing AudioCatalyst chops off the high frequencies above 15khz intentionally (and may be the reason for it being so damn fast). That really concerned me, although I've never personally noticed it when listening to a song. So, I downloaded LAME. The url above indicated that LAME was the only encoder that didn't mangle the song badly.

I encoded about 10 songs at the highest quality VBR setting of both encoders (normally, I encode my songs in Xing AudioCatalyst 2.1 at the higest VBR setting).

I did several of my own unprofessional and probably inconclusive tests, but they at least helped me formulate my own opinion. The first test was simply to play the song from beginning to end using the WAV first, then the LAME mp3 second and then the Xing mp3 last (for all 10 songs). The second test was to find a spot in the song that had a lot of high frequencies, then open up three players each with a different form of the song (wav, lame mp3 and xing mp3). The section of the song (2 or 3 seconds) was played in sequence using all three players in the same order as above.

Now these tests aren't in any way highly scientific. I just did them to try and decide if it was worth re-encoding my collection all over again. The nice graphical display at r3mix.net is probably true but I wanted to know how it sounded.

The biggest difference I noticed was that LAME takes much longer to encode the song (5 minutes for the song as compared to Xing's 45 seconds).

Through all the songs and tests, I could not tell the difference between Xing and LAME encodings at the highest VBR setting. At times I thought there might have been a difference between the mp3's themselves, but they both sounded identical to the original WAV file so the effect was probably pyschological.

I think the strongest selling point I can offer to LAME is that it is FREE, and it is a high quality encoder. It is probably a higher quality encoder than AudioCatalyst 2.1 but I couldn't tell the difference myself. For anyone out there who hasn't bought a good encoder yet, a good one is available for free and I would see no reason to purchase one. Another program that makes a great companion to LAME is the EAC (ExactAudioCopy) program (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/), which is also free (I believe the author wants a postcard for registration, but the software doesn't appear to be crippled in anyway). These two products together make almost the same thing as Xing AudioCatalyst (without the speed).

Xing AudioCatalyst 2.1 has the benefits of speed and the look and ease of a little more professionalism. I didn't notice any of the quality sufferings that r3mix.net claimed existed, but I might just be deaf! I'm quite happy with it myself. If you've already been using Xing AudioCatalyst 2.1, I don't think there is a need for you to re-encode all of your songs again.

On the other hand, my tests were only with the highest VBR setting. r3mix.net indicated that even the highest VBR setting in Xing suffers the high-freq flaw, but I sure as hell didn't notice.

These are just my opinions of what I heard. I am not arguing any technical differences between the two, and I have not compared the CBR settings of the encoders (so for all of you out there that use a constant bitrate, you may have to do your own tests). Also, I only did testing with 2.1 of Xing. Prior versions will likely produce different results.

Hope this is helpful. Consider this just a review as others will have their own opinions.

Kureg

#10103 - 11/07/2000 10:18 Re: Opinions on LAME? [Re: Kureg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Good coverage, there, Kureg.

I'm currently re-evaluating my encoding options, and looking at Fraunhofer, LAME, and Xing (Audiocatalyst).

I spent a lot of time with two different versions of the Fraunhofer command-line encoder, and for me, they did the best job at fixed bitrates. Unfortunately, they don't do VBR, so it's into the bitbucket with them.

Now the race for me is between LAME and Xing. Both encoders have had recent improvements which significantly improve their sound quality. I have personally verified that Xing badly mangles an 18khz sine wave, so the complaints that Xing discards high frequencies sound valid. However, almost all MP3 encoders discard frequencies above 16k, with only LAME claiming to handle those high frequencies at all. Even if LAME does reproduce those high frequencies, can it possibly be doing them accurately? Maybe there's a reason the other encoders discard them.

The only thing about LAME which scares me is an admitted flaw that can be found in its own documentation:

Note: VBR is currently under heavy development. Right now it can
often result in too much compression. I would recommend using VBR
with a minimum bitrate of 112kbs. This will let LAME increase
the bitrate for difficult-to-encode frames, but prevent LAME from
being too aggressive for simple frames.

This means that I have to specify a "bitrate floor" of 112kbps in the command line. Which, although understandable, means that I'm not getting the full bang-for-the-buck out of the VBR format. In other words, why go to the trouble of doing VBR if you can't have it compress the simple frames below 112? The result is larger file sizes, and the whole point of VBR was to get smaller file sizes.

As far as encoding speed, the LAME encoder, although slower than Xing, is much faster than Fraunhofer. So I'm considering doing some long-term testing with LAME. In fact, I've just added some encoder presets to my Jack program to support LAME. We'll see how it goes.

#10104 - 11/07/2000 13:07 Re: Opinions on LAME? [Re: tfabris]
Kureg

In reply to:

This means that I have to specify a "bitrate floor" of 112kbps in the command line. Which, although understandable, means that I'm not getting the full bang-for-the-buck out of the VBR format. In other words, why go to the trouble of doing VBR if you can't have it compress the simple frames below 112? The result is larger file sizes, and the whole point of VBR was to get smaller file sizes.

What I've noticed on a few files is that the minimum bitrate seems to be a preferred minimum bitrate, and that there is a "force" option elsewhere. There are parts of the song that compress more than the minimum should limit, but hovers very close to that mark. This is very distinguishable in the fade-out portion of a song (at least for me ).

Kureg

#10105 - 12/07/2000 01:22 Re: Opinions on LAME? [Re: Kureg]
danthep
enthusiast

Loc: new zealand
With regards to speed, when you turn all the high quality options in lame you enable all sorts of paranoid acoustic analysis, probably much more than xing is doing. That slows it down lots.

Secondly, lame is designed for portability; it works on lots of different OSes, and lots of different CPUs. If you just want speed on the x86 platform, try GoGo. It a varient of lame targeted at top speed on the x86 platform. It has assembly optimisations, as well as MMX, 3DNow, SSE, and Athlon enhanced 3DNow optimisations. It's fast!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4