Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#129797 - 09/12/2002 12:29 Dyson vacs
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Ok... Here we are, back at domestic appliances and gadgets again...

As someone else indicated in a past thread, Dyson, excellent UK-based maker of vacuums and washing machines, now has a US presence. They have started selling three upright models in the US. I've written to them about other models, but at this time, they have no plans to retail anything but the three uprights stateside. Arrrgh.

I'm interested in the DC08 (www.dyson.co.uk) but it obviously needs to be 110v. I don't relish buying one and then having to use it with an ugly transformer. What's the likelihood of having one modified for use here in Canada? They're not cheap vacuums by any stretch, but if someone's already going to pay large coin for something like a Miele, I think that money is better spent on a Dyson. If I had any interest in this beyond my own consumer needs (and if there weren't already about a thousand vacuum shops in the Toronto area), I might consider selling the brand. Hmmm, maybe there's money to be made in wholesale for these...

People keep bugging me for a Christmas gift list (not something I normally do). I should just say HERE: I want a Dyson DC08 Hepa/Turbobrush and one of their dual-drum washers. Or some cash and a plane ticket to the UK.

Bruno

#129798 - 09/12/2002 16:15 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: hybrid8]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
I was told by someone who did domestic cleaning for two households that the Dyson is not all it's cracked up to be. One house had a Dyson, the other had a Sebo. The Dyson had an inferior reach into corners and generally didn't pick up dirt as well compared to the Sebo. We now own a Sebo and wouldn't trade it for anything, they are well designed, modest, tough, easy to dismantle, and dare I say it, they are a damn fine example of German engineering!

I know the Dyson's look really cool (I'd love one of their washing machines) but after a while they start to look 'tatty' where the dirt scuffs up the inside of the clear cylinder. OTOH, Sebo's are nothing to look at - if you're that fickle go for the Dyson and dump it as soon as it starts to look scruffy

#129799 - 09/12/2002 18:30 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: AndrewT]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Do you think they're going for irony with their web site (a whole row of housewives happily operating Sebo cleaners) or did they just copy their brochure from the 50's? The products certainly don't seem to have changed much since then!

Rob

#129800 - 09/12/2002 20:33 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: hybrid8]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
If you want a mega cool washer (OMG did I just say that!?)
check out http://www.maytag.com/mths/products/apl_family.jsp?family=Neptune+Washers&domain=Washers&cs=0&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

We got one of these with the touch screen programming, its so easy even I can use it now my wife has programmed it
Just check the clothes in, select the "work shirts" program, add powder and hit start.
She even programmed the dryer with the same names to make it all husband proof.

Beware! The end is nigh!!!!!

#129801 - 09/12/2002 21:35 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: ashmoore]
tman
carpal tunnel

Hmm... Wonder if the next version will be network ready like that Electrolux fridge!

And to think I just whack everything into the washer and choose colours. May explain why some of my stuff goes weird after I wash it a few times...

- Trevor

#129802 - 10/12/2002 01:37 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: hybrid8]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Can't help you on the 110 volt issue.

But I just bought a DC08 with HEPA and Turbobrush a couple of weeks back [the purple and bright green model].

And I got to say that the Dyson is the best vacuum I've ever seen (and used).

That turbobrush really pulls the pet hair out of the (100% wool) carpet, cleans the cat hairs off the furniture that other vacuums wouldn't touch.

I can't say about the dual-drum washing machine - I thought that was an old idea.

Maybe santa will be nice and give you a DC08 running on 110 volt, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
The main issue I can see is that the motor is probably specially designed for 240 volts, so you'd need a special 110 volt motor.
It is possible that the motor from the 110Volt upright could be fitted into a DC08, but again thats a real unknown, and then you would have to replace the "pull out" cord with a 110 volt certified one (which would need to be much thicker than the 240 volt power cord and so the retractable cord thingy wouldn't probably work, or you'd end up with a really short power cord).

BTW: As for others comments the clear plastic "drum" getting scruffy/scratched ion the inside, its probably a easy part to replace and if thats all that goes wrong with a Dyson then thats a small price to pay for a decent vacuum.

#129803 - 10/12/2002 03:30 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: number6]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
If you can get a 110v version, you really need to buy it! Dyson do the best vacuum cleaners ever. Not to put too fine a point on it - they suck. Big time! Before I got my first upright Dyson, I hooved the whole house with my previous machine. I got 6 full drums of dust/fluff/gakk from just the downstairs carpets with the Dyson - and upstairs under the beds I retrieved whole flocks of bunnies.

Dead easy to clean as well - washing up liquid does the job perfectly, and the filters are very cheap now.

My only gripe would be the point at which the cable goes into the body - I managed to wear down the insulation inside by frequent use, until the wires shorted and gave me an interesting spark show for 10 seconds. Easily fixed though.

I was never convinced by the dual drum idea for washing machines though. Just seems to provide far more failure points.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#129804 - 10/12/2002 04:45 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: AndrewT]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
the Dyson is not all it's cracked up to be

The Dyson is phenomenal as far as the Boxer household is concerned, over previous cleaners, it picks up between 2 to 3 times the volume of dog hairs.

#129805 - 10/12/2002 06:05 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: AndrewT]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
I've heard good things about Sebo cleaners as well, although if I was after a bag-based cleaner I'd probably go for a Miele.

I was dissapointed with the performance of the early Dyson models, but the turbobrush models are much better.

#129806 - 10/12/2002 09:23 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: frog51]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

My only gripe would be the point at which the cable goes into the body - I managed to wear down the insulation inside by frequent use, until the wires shorted and gave me an interesting spark show for 10 seconds. Easily fixed though.

I'm glad to hear that is easily fixed - my Mum's (4 year old) Dyson just did the same thing this past weeked, and I've been nominated to fix it when I go back for Christmas. She rates the Dyson BTW..

#129807 - 10/12/2002 09:58 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: genixia]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Yup, 4 screws total - 2 to get into it, 2 for the connector block, then shorten the cable by 4 inches and screw everything back together. Total repair time about 5 minutes.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#129808 - 10/12/2002 14:32 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: frog51]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Thanks guys - that's exactly the task I have (already) been nominated (by the mother-in-law) to carry out as my "Christmas Task" .There's a fair number of Dyson fans on this board. Seems that these products have a similar heritage - good design, good service support.

Seriously - my wife has been bullying me to replace the (perfectly functional) VAX 2000 we've had for the last 8 years. Dammit, it's not even reached it's guaranteed first service yet, why should I change yet?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#129809 - 10/12/2002 16:52 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: schofiel]
AndrewT
old hand

Seriously - my wife has been bullying me to replace the (perfectly functional) VAX 2000 we've had for the last 8 years.

The VAX 2000 was quite ahead of it's time but perhaps it's time now to buy a PC

#129810 - 11/12/2002 04:40 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: schofiel]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
We had the VAX before the Dyson - different as chalk and cheese, the VAX was complicated, cumbersome and not very effective. The Dyson is easy to maintain and really effective, as well as being light enough to take up and down stairs.

#129811 - 11/12/2002 08:40 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: frog51]
tman
carpal tunnel

Same thing happened with my Dyson but I didn't get the show. When fixing it I put some heatshrink tubing around the cable however to strengthen it. It's a bit dangerous for it to even happen though.

- Trevor

#129812 - 12/12/2002 07:51 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: tman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Ok, all these side topics are interesting, but... Who's going to convert a Dyson DC08 to 110vac for me?

Bruno

#129813 - 15/06/2004 22:58 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I'm not one to revive really old threads, but i'm trying to conserve resources, so I thought I'd recycle. Sort of like using an old newspaper to line a birdcage.

I got one. Woohoo! Took delivery of a brand-new Dyson DC11 (Telescope) on Monday morning. As mentioned in a previous thread, they were recently introduced in the US. I must have been the only one that didn't see their commercials on US TV.

I have not given it a workout yet, but the sheer wow-factor has left me impressed since I cracked open the box. Actually, even the box was smart, with full-colour printing and matte finish on all 6 sides. No wonder these things aren't cheap.

Theres currently no Canadian distribution nor retail availability, so I had to eBay. Ended up saving US$100 when compared to SRP though. I hope Dyson does well in North America and that they consider bringing over the DC08 I mentioned in the original posting, as well as their washing machines (though it will be a while before I need to replace the existing one).

Hopefully I'll take a little break from the home gadgets for a while. Had to pop for a new lawn mower a few weeks ago as well. Quite happy with it too: B&D 24V cordeless electric (I was sick and tired of gas mowers).

Bruno

#129814 - 16/06/2004 20:40 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: hybrid8]
thrasher
enthusiast

The telescope dyson is great, I bought one from best buy a month ago.Best vacume my wife has ever used.I had the stand up dyson before that so I gave it to my mom and she loves it.She said it was way better than her electrolux.

#129815 - 03/07/2004 13:14 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: hybrid8]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
You guys have convinced me to go check out some Dyson vacs today since my old Hoover has a cord with bare wires that keeps tripping my GFI outlet, the bumpers are gone and it's taking paint off the baseboards and the motor isn't sounding too good lately. I think it's time for a new one and I might as well get a good one that will do the job of picking up cat hairs and litter

MKI #017/90

whatever

#129816 - 03/07/2004 15:42 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: Laura]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
If you have cat hair on carpets to deal with then make sure you get a Dyson with a "turbobrush". I thought the turbobrush was going to be just a noisy gimick. I was wrong. It is very noisy, but it picks up cat hair so easily.

Having the handheld turbobrush is also useful, very good for cushions, curtains and stairs. I got the DC08 Animal that comes with both, though I'm not sure that model is available in the US yet. I'm guessing the "turbine" head on the DC11 is the same or similar to the "turbobrush" on the DC08 (it basically has a fast spinning brush built into the head, powered from the airflow).

#129817 - 03/07/2004 16:17 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: andy]
Laura
pooh-bah

We have the DC07 Cyclone Animal Upright Vacuum available over here for $499. Seems a lot for a vacuum after spending around $150 on my last one, course it didn't hold up well to daily usage and you have to add in the cost of bags and it didn't really seem to pick up that well.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#129818 - 03/07/2004 16:31 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: Laura]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Do you really want an upright ? I have to admit I can't see why anyone would want an upright vacuum cleaner, they are just so much more cumbersome than a cyclinder.

#129819 - 03/07/2004 16:34 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: andy]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

It's easy to find Dyson uprights over here, but not so easy to find the cylinders.

[Edit] Although it looks as if the DC11 is finally becoming more widely available.

Edited by genixia (03/07/2004 16:41)

#129820 - 03/07/2004 16:58 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: Laura]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Laura, you might want to find out if the turbo brush is available separately. When we bought our DC07 we really wanted the red model with the low floor tool attachment (lots of wood floors, no pets) but couldn't find it anywhere local. We then discovered that they sold the low floor tool separately for $40 in Best Buy, so bought the yellow model instead. So it cost us $10 more than the red one would. (Which was still cheaper than shipping would have been)

If you don't need the floor tool, and they do sell the turbo brush separately then that may be a slightly cheaper option.

#129821 - 03/07/2004 17:31 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: andy]
Laura
pooh-bah

I've never thought of getting a cyclinder because I always thought they didn't pick up as well and were more cumbersome than the uprights. I'll check them both out and see which I like better. The DC11 looks to be available.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#129822 - 03/07/2004 17:33 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: genixia]
Laura
pooh-bah

I have wall to wall carpet in just about every room and a few cats here and there so the low floor tool isn't important to me but the turbo brush is.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#129823 - 03/07/2004 22:53 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: hybrid8]
Laura
pooh-bah

I'm a new Dyson owner too! I also bought the DC11 Telescope and plan to give it a good workout tomorrow. I compared it to the Animal upright and decided to give a canister a try. Seems easier for cleaning under furniture which I tend to avoid since it's usually a pain in the butt.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#129824 - 03/07/2004 23:23 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: Laura]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Quote:
I'm a new Dyson owner too! I also bought the DC11 Telescope and plan to give it a good workout tomorrow. I compared it to the Animal upright and decided to give a canister a try. Seems easier for cleaning under furniture which I tend to avoid since it's usually a pain in the butt.

I hadn't noticed that new model (DC11) was out.

From the Dyson web site it looks like Dyson have combined the previous models offering of two seperate brush heads into one brush that combines both hard and soft (e.g. carpet) brushes into one.

The model I have (DC08) has a seperate carpet/pet hair brush and that works wonders with the volume of fur the cats shed over everything.

Be prepared to be amazed at the sheer volume of pet hair and dirt it drags out of the carpets - even though you'd swear the carpets were already clean.

And unlike other vacuum cleaners, you can see the dirt its collected almost from the first instant you run the brush over your floors.

The one thing that does amaze me is how come most of the fur that the Dyson picks up is brown coloured - when we only have one cat with brown fur.

#129825 - 04/07/2004 00:37 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: number6]
Laura
pooh-bah

I'm wondering now if I shouldn't have gotten the DC07 Animal.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#129826 - 04/07/2004 00:46 Re: Dyson vacs [Re: hybrid8]
AndrewT
old hand

I've probably said this before but Sebo vacs beat Dyson hands down. Sure, they don't have the geek-appeal of the Dyson and from their website you can't really appreciate their ingenious but simplistic engineering. Oh, and I love the design-appeal of Dyson gear

Regarding the official testing: We (me and SWMBO) were all for buying a Dyson until 'she' got to try a Sebo. After trying two Dyson's and then a Sebo the Sebo was declared the winner

We now own one: It eats pet hair and its self-levelling thingy keeps it against the floor pretty reliably. Ok, it uses bags, unlike the Dyson, but given its superior cleaning ability it's worth a little extra on consumables IOHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >