Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#146059 - 27/02/2003 10:13 Are you my friend?
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
What exactly are we, anyway? I find myself quoting members of the board just like I would anyone else I know. In the conversations when someone asks who I'm talking about, it ends up sounding like ".... well, um ... [insert screen name]... uhh, I mean John... this guy... he lives in [far away place]... no I've never actually seen him....nevermind....". Personally I've found many of my relationships on the board to be quite close and the one meet I've made it to seemed more like getting together with friends than strangers.... Anyway just seeing if anyone feels the same....

#146060 - 27/02/2003 10:34 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: revlmwest]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
The irony of this thread being started by a preacher is just rich.

#146061 - 27/02/2003 10:43 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: canuckInOR]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

In a way, I have always thought of the board as kind of a neighborhood. (Recent events visible in my choice of wording.) Many of us have different skills, talents, jobs, etc., we don't always get alone and discuss different points of view, but all are brought together through common interests, discussion and the magic of empeg.

The word "community" pops up in a lot of threads. Perhaps that is it. But it does seems a bit more "friendly" than just community - a word politicians use when they want to sound warm and fuzzy about something.

#146062 - 27/02/2003 10:59 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: canuckInOR]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Okay.... since I've teased you already, and have now had a chance to think about it a bit, I would say...no. But something close to it. Through the BBS interaction, I feel like I know y'all well enough to say that I wouldn't hesitate to call most of you friends the instant we meet. In the meantime, I probably consider you all as "fellow BBS members," although given the impressive level of non-idiocy on the board that's a rarity on most of the other boards I've seen, that's not quite descriptive enough. It's a gray area.

Does that help?

Okay, gotta go to work. Enough pillow talk for now.

#146063 - 27/02/2003 11:11 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: revlmwest]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Are you my friend?

yup.

#146064 - 27/02/2003 11:19 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: revlmwest]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Yes, I think we are all friends here.

#146065 - 27/02/2003 11:22 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: robricc]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I dunno...I think Bitt wanted to kill d33zY a couple times.

#146066 - 27/02/2003 11:25 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: revlmwest]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
The whole concept of online friends and relationships is a topic of great interest to me, so let's see what kind of perspective I can offer. I grew up on dialup BBSes, and in high school, made many good friends from my own BBS or others I frequented. Several of them are still close friends of mine to this day. In each case, the way we became friends usually started off with some common ideas or perspectives we were expressing. My BBS, and the others I visited, were very message-board focused, so the people you began to identify with were, initally at least, people who were expressing views similar to yours. However, as time goes on, I started to make "friends" with people who were expressing completely different ideas, because the people with similiar ideas were kinda boring. These other people, with different ideas, were at least using logical arguments, and I started to choose my "friends" based on who made the most sense, not necessarily who I agreed with.

Eventually, through BBS get-togethers and such, my "friends" would become friends (no quotes) and we would spend time together on the weekends, etc. Back then, you actually dialed in to communicate, so chances were the people you were communicating with were within easy meeting distance. Sometimes, when I met certain people, they were nothing like I had expected, and there was no "chemistry" for lack of a better word. Conversely, sometimes, people I had largely ignored or underestimated based on their online personna were very cool in person. It all depended on how much of themselves they decided to share, versus how much they decided to keep to themselves. Or, sometimes, how much I read into their words on the BBS.

The Internet has changed things quite a lot. My chances of conversing online with someone from, say, Cambridge, were quite low in the dial-up BBS days. Now it's a regular occurrence. There are much wider and more diverse views here. This BBS attracts people from a very wide age range, whereas my BBS was mostly kids in their teens, with some 20 and 30-somethings sprinkled in occasionally. The sheer volume of discussion can be increased because the BBS isn't limited by the number of phone lines you have. All of these are improvements on the old-style BBSes, most of which have vanished from existence.

There are drawbacks, of course. The "cozy, friendly" aspect of dialup BBSes is one that I have yet to see duplicated on the Internet. This place feels more like "home" than does any other site on the Internet for me, but it still doesn't approach the way things were. Some of the things mentioned above as advantages could qualify as disadvantages in this context. Because of the more diverse user base, maybe it's harder to get cohesive discussions going. Kinda how when cities evolve, people of different ethnic groups create their own little neighborhoods (Chinatown, Little Italy, etc.) so they can be with people they can relate to. In this respect, the Internet's broad reach is a bit of a drawback. Maybe there are times that people just want to be with "their own."

Here, we all have a common bond that's rather trivial, if you think about it. We all own a little electronic music gadget. That's what brought us here. Some people (a majority of the BBS, I'd say) comes just for that. Info on features, support, etc. Then there's those of us who devote at least part of our BBS time to non-empeg discussions. So we come for the geeky stuff, and stay for the good conversations we have here on just about every random topic you can think of.

Drifting back to your specific question a little bit, because I've never been able to attend any of the owners meets, I don't feel like I could call anyone here a true friend, without the quotes. Despite the fact that I grew up with electronic acquaintances who became real friends, or perhaps because of that fact, I tend to separate someone's online personna from the person they really are. Often they are close, but sometimes, they are night and day. So I try not to make any assumptions about what a person is really like based on the person they are online. Maybe it'll give me a clue, but until a true in-person meeting happens, everyone is kind of in "pen pal" status.

That's not to say that I don't have "friends" (quotes) online. I respect and admire a lot of people on this BBS, for the knowledge, opinions, and sometimes humor that they bring. Anyone who contributes regularly here is, to one extent or another, a "friend." But since I don't know any of you beyond what you choose to share on the BBS, it's a lot harder for me to place anyone in the friend category, where frankly, there aren't many open positions, so to speak.

You know that feeling you get when you've read a particular writer's column in the newspaper so much that you feel like you can identify with them? That's sort of what takes place here. We all don't know each other in a conventional sense, but we know each other by how we express ourselves here.

In your particular example, though you are somewhat new to the BBS (less than a year if I recall), you're a regular contributor, and I tend to enjoy reading your unique perspective on some of the "deeper" issues we discuss here. You're obviously a religious man, but you don't let that define who you are, and don't feel the need to tell everyone here that Jesus is the only God, something I've gotten from more than a number of people in my lifetime. You seem like you'd be a fun guy to talk to and hang around with, and, oh yeah, you just happen to be a preacher.

Now, that's what your online personna tells me, but there are a lot of things I would never know without knowing you in a more conventional sense, hence the reason I distinguish between "friend" and friend. When I'm referring to one of you in a conversation with one of my friends, I tend to use the rather unwieldy term "online acquaintance" to make the distinction clear to the person I'm talking to.

So, to summarize, if the words and ideas we express here are truly representative of who we are, then when a meeting does take place, I'm sure we would be proud to call each other friends, without the quotes. Until then, the distinction between "friend" and friend, for me at least, is just a result of the fact that we haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet.

#146067 - 27/02/2003 11:27 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: revlmwest]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Are you my friend?
Yes.

Not the same kind of friend as people who've met in person and spent time together. But I think it's perfectly OK to refer to an online acquaintance as a friend.

#146068 - 27/02/2003 12:04 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: revlmwest]
Redrum
old hand

Re: Are you my friend?

-----------------------------

Fity dollars I be yo friend soldjer boy, me wuv you wong time.

I'd say “pen pals” would fit best.

#146069 - 27/02/2003 12:06 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: Redrum]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

<wipes off monitor>

#146070 - 27/02/2003 12:12 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: revlmwest]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I'd like to think so

Actually, I think it depends on the BBS member. I've met members of this board in real life, but I don't really consider them friends because I haven't talked to them since then. I hadn't even talked directly to them very often on the board when they were posting.

I guess it's like real friends. Some people you come into contact with on a sei-regular basis, but you never do stuff with them, and I don't really consider them friends, but I'm firendly towards them. Sometimes I guess it's like that on here.

I can relate, though. I often talk about people on this board, and am never sure how to refer to them. I wish I had a "speech macro" or something that stood for "on the empeg board".

#146071 - 27/02/2003 13:06 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: Dignan]
revlmwest
addict

Loc: Hartsville, South Carolina for...
Ok... so the whole thing came out a little touchy feely.... I see that most of you gleened what I'm talking about. For example I sent something to Mark in Canada. When trying to explain in the office why I was sending a package to Canada, it was easier to say I've got a friend there rather than "I met a guy on the internet [insert youth minister snickers] who needed a router but they wouldn't ship to Canada. Friend seems a little strong but nothing else seems strong enough.

#146072 - 27/02/2003 13:21 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: revlmwest]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Friend seems a little strong but nothing else seems strong enough.
I dunno, in the case of Mark, I think Friend isn't strong enough. We all owe him big time.

#146073 - 27/02/2003 13:26 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: revlmwest]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
insert youth minister snickers

Do those sound different than traditional snickers? Or is there some new kind of Snickers bar out marketed towards youth ministers?

#146074 - 27/02/2003 13:47 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: tonyc]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
insert ... snickers
I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth.

#146075 - 27/02/2003 14:30 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: revlmwest]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
In reply to:

Are you my friend?

Yup, and for all my friends here on the BBS I've decided (as soon as I get 2 new sets of buttons from Rob) to start making transparent buttons to help get people up and running with illuminated buttons... Well hopefully if things go well. But not to get off topic.

Yeah I consider most people here my friend... In a weird geeky kinda way. Although I still haven't made it to any meets, I need to do that.

#146076 - 27/02/2003 14:56 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: lopan]
suomi35
enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
I'd also love to make it to a meet.

#146077 - 27/02/2003 15:07 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: suomi35]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Me too!

Let's have the next US meet down in Albuquerque. Then I could make it. hhhhh

- trs

#146078 - 27/02/2003 15:15 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: trs24]
suomi35
enthusiast

When would you like to have it? I could go for some real green chile and different scenery

#146079 - 27/02/2003 15:17 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: suomi35]
trs24
old hand

Funny, I was thinking that exact same thing. I could definitely go for some green chile and a change of scenery as well. This office is gettin old to look at.

#146080 - 27/02/2003 15:21 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: trs24]
suomi35
enthusiast

While we're on the subject, have you ever been to Indian School Road in Albuquerque?

#146081 - 27/02/2003 15:22 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: suomi35]
trs24
old hand

It's within walking distance!

#146082 - 27/02/2003 15:24 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: trs24]
suomi35
enthusiast

Wow, that is cool! I have heard some great things about that place. You up for a mini-meet then?

#146083 - 27/02/2003 15:27 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: suomi35]
trs24
old hand

Yeah - we could represent the entire southwest empeg chapter.

- trs

#146084 - 27/02/2003 15:29 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: trs24]
suomi35
enthusiast

How about sometime in March?

#146085 - 27/02/2003 15:31 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: suomi35]
trs24
old hand

I don't know - we're in the middle of the best green chile season right now. Plus, there won't be anymore snow on the slopes here by then... so maybe we should consider moving the meet to say..... Durango? hhhh

- trs

#146086 - 27/02/2003 15:33 Re: Are you my friend? [Re: trs24]
suomi35
enthusiast

Durango would work pretty well for me too, although I'd really enjoy Indian School...

Maybe we could work in Purgatory or Wolf Creek too???

#146087 - 27/02/2003 15:36 Snowing in Denver [Re: suomi35]
suomi35
enthusiast

WOOHOO!

#146088 - 27/02/2003 15:41 Re: Snowing in Denver [Re: suomi35]
trs24
old hand

That settles it, then - the meet will be in Denver!

- trs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >