Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#159839 - 07/05/2003 16:49 Damn Family Guy DVD!
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
Finally got around to purchacing this only to discover it has been edited. I am greatly disapointed. I never thought I would see the day when they would edit the DVD version of something.
1. I'm talking bout the 'Bin Laden' reference.
2. Yes, I live in a closet with no contact to the outside world and did not know they edited it.

#159840 - 07/05/2003 16:58 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: Satan_X]
davekirk
journeyman

Loc: Las Vegas
But isn't having the DVD set great anyway? I can't wait for the next one.

#159841 - 07/05/2003 17:14 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: Satan_X]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I hate when Cartoon Network edits out Prof. Farnsworth saying "Holy Zombie Jesus." That phrase is on the DVDs though. I didn't know the Family Guy DVD was edited.

#159842 - 07/05/2003 17:38 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: Satan_X]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Well, for a bit of a possible explanation, there's this Usenet posting... Not sure if it's accurate or not, but it explains why it might have been edited out. If it is true, it paints Seth out to be a real hypocrite, and makes me kinda just want to download all the episodes off of Kazaa or iMesh instead of supporting him.

#159843 - 07/05/2003 19:11 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: tonyc]
Satan_X
enthusiast

Loc: Ramsey, NJ
From a Seth MacFarane interview on tvshowsondvd.com:

I noticed "Road to Rhode Island"...there's some footage missing; an Osama bin Laden joke was cut.

There was some debate over that. I kinda stayed out of that debate because I didn't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. There are arguments for keeping it in and arguments for taking it out. The argument to keep it in is that's how the show aired and it was broadcast this way and it aired two years before September 11, and so there's a bit of entertainment historical value there. And obviously the argument for taking it out was that because it was one of the biggest tragedies, there was some thought that it might bring down the rest of the episode when that comes up. There was some thought at one point of putting it on separately at the end, and that was really...I guess it was a legal decision that Fox made to leave it out. It's unfortunate in that it's a part of the episode that was produced and was aired and is sort of gone forever, but it's a small loss in the grand scheme of things.

Now, you were almost involved in that whole tragedy...

Yeah, that came up at one point. I said, "Look, I'm probably as close to that incident as anybody at Fox." There was one point where I was arguing to keep that scene in. Yeah, I was booked on that flight and I was drinking the night before and hung over and I missed the plane by about 10 minutes. It was a very close call for me.

How has that affected you?

The only reason it hasn't really affected me as it maybe could have is I didn't really know that I was in any danger until after it was over, so I never had that panic moment. After the fact it was sobering but people have a lot of close calls; you're crossing the street and you almost get hit by a car....this one just happened to be related to something massive. I really can't let it affect me because I'm a comedy writer. I have to put that in the back of my head.

Well, I'm glad you got drunk the night before.

Yeah, alcohol is our friend. I think that's the moral of that story.

Yeah, drinking can save your life.

Absolutely.

#159844 - 07/05/2003 19:26 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: Satan_X]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the clearup. Debunks the "Seth didn't want it there" theory, and shows that Fox has no balls. Still doesn't put the clip back in, though.

#159845 - 07/05/2003 23:17 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: Satan_X]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
If you want to be pissed off, read this review of the disc. It sounds like the video is terrible.

Fox Home Entertainment presents The Family Guy in its original 4:3 full screen format. It has also presented it in "Jagglevision," making it nearly unwatchable amid all jagged lines, shake and shimmer and enough edge enhancement to sharpen the Cutco factory. Sure, the colors are accurate and nicely saturated and blacks true, but if you are susceptible to epileptic seizures, you may want to avoid this set.
These transfers look merely bad on a progressive scan player, and like a truly horrific GoodTimes reject on a standard machine.

#159846 - 08/05/2003 00:54 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: Satan_X]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I never thought I would see the day when they would edit the DVD version of something.

I know how you feel. The same happened to me when I bought the DVD of "Dumb & Dumber". The scene where Harry gets diarrhea because Lloyd put some laxative in his drink (or food, can't remember) was almost completely cut out.
I was really annoyed when I noticed this because for me that was the best part of the movie.

Edit : 1000th post ! W00t!

Edited by Archeon (08/05/2003 00:55)

#159847 - 08/05/2003 10:15 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The same happened to me when I bought the DVD of "Dumb & Dumber". The scene where Harry gets diarrhea because Lloyd put some laxative in his drink (or food, can't remember) was almost completely cut out.
Lemme guess, you bought that version of the DVD at Wal-Mart.

#159848 - 08/05/2003 14:36 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: tfabris]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Lemme guess, you bought that version of the DVD at Wal-Mart

Erm, no. I bought it from an online shop. But that version is the only version of the movie that is available on DVD here in Belgium. (that was the version that was being sold in all the stores I went to anyway)

I have no idea what wall-mart is, but going by your description I guess it's a shop where no true A/V fan would want to be found dead. Is that accurate ?

#159849 - 08/05/2003 14:42 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I guess it's a shop where no true A/V fan would want to be found dead. Is that accurate ?
It's a large chain of department stores, which have a reputation of censoring the music and videos that they sell. For instance, they have been known to refuse to sell certain albums unless they are a censored version.

#159850 - 08/05/2003 14:48 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
For example, they just recently started refusing to carry the magazines Maxim, Stuff, and ... something else like that; FHM, maybe? Regardless, magazines that feature scantily -clad women, but certainly no real nudity.

#159851 - 08/05/2003 14:48 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Wait a second... There *aren't* 3 Wal*Marts per town in Belgium yet?

#159852 - 08/05/2003 14:55 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: tonyc]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

It's a large chain of department stores, which have a reputation of censoring the music and videos that they sell.

That sucks. No, that really doesn't sound like the type of store I would frequent.

Wait a second... There *aren't* 3 Wal*Marts per town in Belgium yet?

No, I never even heard of them before.

I take it that's a good thing ?

#159853 - 08/05/2003 14:58 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
They refuse to carry magazines where the people aren't even nude, but they sell guns. So they're violent prudes

Seriously, I consider Wal-Mart the most useless store on earth. There's one relatively close-by which was the 2nd largest when it opened, and I haven't been in it in months, or bought anything there in at least a year. Never mind that it's all that's open in the early AM.

#159854 - 08/05/2003 15:04 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: Daria]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
So they're violent prudes
That pretty much describes the so-called former ``silent majority'', doesn't it?
I haven't been in it in months, or bought anything there in at least a year. Never mind that it's all that's open in the early AM.
Exactly.

It'd be one thing if you could ever find anything, you weren't constantly impeded by crap lying around in the aisles, the employees were ever friendly or even not rude, or you could manage to get through the checkout line and pay for your purchase in under thirty minutes (maybe they could try using more than three of their fifty registers), even in the wee hours.

But it's not.

#159855 - 08/05/2003 15:55 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
"This year's Small Business Owner's Day is brought to you by Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart: if you own a small business, we'll crush you!"
-Daily Show

#159856 - 08/05/2003 16:13 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

With all this Wal-Mart bashing, I gotta post Carla's lyric. This is about a small midwestern town's fight to keep them out:

We Don't Need a Wal-Mart
By Bob Malone and Carla Ulbrich
www.carlau.com

12 miles to the East... a Wal-Mart sets
12 miles to the North... another one yet
12 miles to the South... that’s right, you bet
That's why I say... we don’t need a Wal-Mart

We don’t need a Wal-Mart... I’d rather have trees and grass
I’d rather have a hemherroid... or an algebra class
They got no scruples, they got no class
We don’t need a Wal Mart, they can kiss my — butt

So we said "Hey, Wal-Mart, we don’t want you,"
"We won’t rezone." They said, “Oh yeah, we’ll sue”
So now we got 3 lawyers all getting their due
Thank you Wal-Mart, that’s mighty neighborly of you

We don’t need a Wal-Mart in our community
The best things in life aren’t cheap... they’re free
We could do without the pleasure of this kind of company
We don’t need a Wal-Mart in this locality

A store so big you got to have a map
Aisles and aisles of cheap imported crap
It’s what some folks like to call progress
I call it proof that sometimes more is less

Don’t really have to think too hard
About whether I want one in my backyard
118 towns already said no
We’d also like to tell you where not to go

We don’t need a Wal-Mart... we already got three
How many big-ass ugly grey buildings with a red stripe do we really need?
I wish Sam was alive so he could hear me
I’d say... "I’d rather have a frontal lobotomy, than a Wal-Mart in front of me."

#159857 - 08/05/2003 16:56 Re: Damn Family Guy DVD! [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
It'd be one thing if

Wait, so you should at this Wal-Mart?