Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#22108 - 08/11/2000 21:08 BBS Question: Input box width?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
As I've noted elsewhere on this BBS, I tend to bounce back and forth between IE and Netscape for various reasons.

My problem is that, for some strange reason, the width of the text box for typing in a message varies widely between the two browsers. On IE, it's very narrow, and on Netscape it's very wide.

I know I can adjust the number of columns in my user profile, but the best I can do is to come up with a happy medium between NS and IE, and in that case, the width is slightly irritating for both. If I adjust it so that one is perfect, then the other one is completely unusable.

You'd think that they'd have straigtened out this sort of thing after all these years?

Anyway, does anyone have any solutions? Or perhaps there's something Paul can do in the stylesheets?

#22109 - 09/11/2000 03:39 Re: BBS Question: Input box width? [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Stop using Netscape, obviously...

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#22110 - 09/11/2000 07:52 Re: BBS Question: Input box width? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I have a feeling it's due to Netscape 4 not fully supporting the CSS that is in use to set the font size on the posting box. Mozilla and IE do support it properly.

#22111 - 28/11/2000 10:40 Re: BBS Question: Input box width? [Re: andy]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
Yes and where can I get IE to linux !!!

Mark
wait for mk III with a USB Host/slave
(USB->GPS)(USB->Bluetooth)(USB->You name it)

#22112 - 29/11/2000 07:58 Re: BBS Question: Input box width? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
The problem really lies in the poor handling of CSS by IE and NS. Neither does a good job, but IE is fractionally more consistent about it.

The best solution is to bin them both and use Opera, which has got the only decent CSS implementation I've seen so far.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#22113 - 29/11/2000 13:10 Re: BBS Question: Input box width? [Re: schofiel]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Begin rant.....

I would argue that the best solution is not to use style sheets on anything important. This bbs is an excellent example. A year ago it was perfectly readable in any of the half dozen browsers I tend to switch between (lynx, OmniWeb, Mozilla, iCab, Netscape, IE) in fact I used to read this BBS with lynx most of the time, because for sites where you really only care about the text it is so much faster than a traditional web browser. The only browser that I am aware of that will still view this site reasonably well is I.E. which I despise. The whole point to the web is that it is supposed to allow everyone to view data regardless of what browser or OS they use. It really bugs me when that is thrown out the window for gimicky thinks like web site "styles".

.........end rant

-Mike

#22114 - 29/11/2000 16:32 Re: BBS Question: Input box width? [Re: mcomb]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
The solution to this is to use something like XML with XSL stylesheets.
For normal browsers the server combines the two to form nice standard HTML. More "advanced" browsers can obtain the data and stylesheet seperately.
I've been asked to evaluate just such a product for a work project, and it seems to be the best of both worlds.

Now, if I could just get Mozilla to work through MS proxy server's backdoor authentication...

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)