Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#294129 - 24/02/2007 12:10 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: drakino]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Did he know he was losing a future sale with that "facts" crap
Yeah, which is when he said "I'm sorry sir, I'm just telling it like it is."

I should have asked for his supervisor, but I was too mad at the moment to really make intelligent conversation. So I sent Ford an email explaining it all- yup, I sent an email. OOOOOH- I'm a tough guy

#294130 - 24/02/2007 14:39 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: DWallach]
music
addict

Quote:
Quote:
there are a number of seemingly pristine Audi TT Quattro roadsters on eBay right now for @ $16,000 average price...anyone have any experience with these cars? I would love to hear some opinions...

[...]
I'd be particularly hesitant about buying the first model year or two of the TT's with the DSG, because you're getting something really, really new and different from previous transmissions. How reliable will these things be? Do you want to risk it?

I saw an article recently (can't remember if it was print or online) which listed the used Audi TT as one of the best "bang for the buck" deals for used sporty cars. I know it specifically listed some years as "stay away" but gave high marks to other years. I'll see if I can recall where I came across this.

And, yeah, I've been wanting to test-drive a DSG car for a while, but haven't done it yet. I guess I just didn't want to get my hopes smashed like they were after driving the SMG cars from BMW -- SMG sucks bigtime in my opinion.

Also, if you really really want some serious information about TT's I can put you in touch with a friend of mine who has (with his wife) owned three of them and is quite knowledgeable about what mechanical changes were made in which year and what goes wrong and what to look out for, etc., etc.

#294131 - 24/02/2007 16:39 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: music]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Cool, and thanks for the offer..I'll have to google the "DSG" because I haven't heard of that particular transmission before. I'm primarily interested in this auction.

I love the idea of being able to cruise down the 401 in an all-wheel drive car with a six speed tranny!

#294132 - 24/02/2007 19:14 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: Robotic]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Quote:
....Appologies to JeffS for the threadjack, but car threads can and often do go in many directions at once.

/me envisioning Jeff sitting in his thread at the alignment shop.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#294133 - 24/02/2007 19:33 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: jimhogan]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
Didn't Ford just lose about 12 billion dollars last year? That's got to work out to a boatload of money per car produced...

So by not buying a Ford, you're actually saving them lots of money !!!!

Randy

#294134 - 24/02/2007 19:39 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: The Central Guy]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
So by not buying a Ford, you're actually saving them lots of money !!!!
Doh! Foiled again!

#294135 - 24/02/2007 21:57 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
Then I figured maybe someone here might have some thoughts about what is available in my price range. So any thoughts? I don't really need a family car, but I'm not stuck on a sports car either. I just want something fun to drive if I'm going to spent 2.5 hours in it every day.

I was going to stay out of this one, but I just can't stand it any more.

Jeff, you need to take the larger view, not focus on immediate gratification.

First, If you want a car that's "fun to drive" you couldn't do better than the Lotus Elise. And after about two weeks you'd be taking the bus to work instead of driving, because "fun to drive" does not translate into enjoyable to commute in. It's noisy, harsh riding, cramped, no a/c... but boy, is it ever fun to drive.

The amount of time you will spend in a car in "fun to drive" mode is insignificant compared to the amount of time you will be using the car for transportation. You need to buy a car that is first of all enjoyable to be in, and then start narrowing the field by fun to drive criteria.

Second, unless you are quite wealthy, don't even consider buying a new car. The idea of throwing away $4,000 or more in depreciation the moment you sign the papers is ludicrous. Now, maybe the idea of having a brand new, never been owned before car is really important to you, and worth the money. In that case, go for it. But if fiscal sanity is any part of the equation, do consider the used market.

Getting back to the first point... just remember that you will seldom be in a situation where you can utilize the amazing performance of something like a WRX or other high performance car, and the penalties you pay in enjoyability the remaining 98% of the time are scant compensation for those few "fun to drive" moments that you have.

My recommendation? Buy a used Lexus or Infiniti or Mercedes -- some nice luxury car that may be a little bit less "fun to drive" but more enjoyable to be in. You know -- quiet, good air conditioning, responsive handling, adequate power, smooth ride, good sound system. Then, with the money you saved by buying the car used, buy yourself a toy -- a used Miata or some similar "fun" car. You'll have the best of both worlds.

But, what do I know? I drive around in a 14 year old Ford station wagon...

tanstaafl.

#294136 - 24/02/2007 23:18 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: tanstaafl.]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
My recommendation? Buy a used Lexus or Infiniti or Mercedes -- some nice luxury car that may be a little bit less "fun to drive" but more enjoyable to be in. You know -- quiet, good air conditioning, responsive handling, adequate power, smooth ride, good sound system.

I'm convinced. I bought a low-milage '02 Volvo S80 last year for under $20k and haven't regretted it once. The used luxury market is very good to buyers - three or four years and you can cut the price of the car in half. Best bang for your buck, IMO.

#294137 - 24/02/2007 23:59 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: cushman]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I just bought this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonbauer/398897520/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonbauer/400221531/in/photostream/

Lot's of bang for the buck. I think it has all of the grace and pedigree of a Lotus Elise (well, I may be exaggerating a bit) but with more function.

No one mentioned that the MX-5 is now available with that power retractable hard top. It's great, but the car is hard to find...

- Jon

#294138 - 25/02/2007 00:07 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: tanstaafl.]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Buy a used Lexus or Infiniti or Mercedes
Well, this is pretty much my plan, I think. I really like the Infiniti, but I'm going to try a few others as well. But yeah, if I take my time I can probably get the car I want used and save quite a bit.

#294139 - 25/02/2007 04:59 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I intend my next car to be a used Mercedes 4Matic E class wagon. I think its the best built car on the road, but definitely not terribly "fun" to drive (though they handle very well and have adequate power).

You'd be amazed at how much car you can get for $25-30k in the used E-Class market right now, as the body was just recently updated.

The D "diesel" tempts me, but isn't available in a 4Matic wagon. The D can do almost 700 miles per tank.

If I decide to go purely for comfortable, reliable transportation at the least possible cost, I'll get a used Crown Victoria. These are designed for fleet use and are *extremely* rugged. Check ebay for the prices on 2 year old Crowns (or Mercury Marquis) with all the options. Its an absurd amount of car for the money. Not fun to drive by any means, but quiet, comfortable, and fairly powerful. The adjustable pedals are awesome.

I don't believe in car payments. If I don't want to throw down the cash for the E, I'll get the Crown. I highly recommend paying cash for less car, but I understand that is regarded as an absurd idea these days.

Edited by TigerJimmy (25/02/2007 05:01)

#294140 - 25/02/2007 05:32 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: TigerJimmy]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Now I can't resist staying out of the conversation; TigerJimmy sparked my memory.

There are some great overlooked used cars out there. 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII is a damn BEAST (Mustang cobra engine) with all the luxury trimmings, a modding community, and decent gas mileage. Pay no more than $7000 for a quality car. $3k for initial maintenance and extras, and your other $20k for yourself.

For more luxury (and convertible), look for a used Benz CL under $40k. The CL is the first Benz to get the newest technology, looks hot, and is exclusive (around me, anyway). Or get a CLK and keep $10k from your budget.

TigerJimmy, you are a smart man. My used W210 E320 4matic wagon has given me 10k miles quite nicely. It will learn to be responsive if you demand it. Just watch for the known problems (pm me for details).

Redrum, tanstaafl, and other wagon lovers, you're right on as well!

Music, you could be a contract automotive personal shopper with your clear thinking. Good work.

#294141 - 27/02/2007 16:37 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Ok, well after a couple of test drives, I have changed my mind about a lot of what's important to me. Apparently my tastes are growing up (a little).

-Apparently size does matter- for whatever reason the smaller cars just don't appeal to me, nor do 4 doors. The 4 doors don't feel sporty enough, and the roadsters feel too small. The G35 size coup is exactly on target.

-Comfort and "nice little doodads" are a lot more important to me than I thought. I guess I'm just a sucker for buttons and gadgets, but driving that Infiniti got me addicted.

-I am completely over wanting a Mustang. Not just because of the Ford credit thing, but I just realize I want something different from a car than sexy and fun. Obviously I would have said differently two weeks ago.

Bottom line, I think I can probably get a used "Luxury" car pretty well equipped for under 30K if I look hard enough and I will be happy and comfortable with both the car and the payment. I'm going to probably take a few months without a car payment before I take the plunge, but in the mean time I'm going to see what else is out there. There have been a lot of suggestions in this thread, but my focus is now a little more narrow and my goals are different. So I'm humbly going to ask again, but this time here is what I want:

A nice, comfortable car that I can get used for under 30K, is slightly sporty (meaning 2 doors, not 4), is really comfortable, isn't too small (the size of the G35 is perfect), and is well made an will last. Obviously a great sound system is a must (including a way to install an Aux in), and while doodads and gadgets are not strictly important, the certainly can sweeten the deal

Roadsters, wagons, 4 door sedans, and SUVs are all out. Just not what I'm looking for right now.

Are all of the BMW 3 series cars smaller, or do they make some more along the lines of the G35? I'd think that looking at used Audi's might be the way to go; are the models that music mentioned comparable to the G35?

It might seem like I've settled on the G35- truth is I sort of have. After having driven one I basically fell in love. I haven't driven the Audi's or looked at used BMWs yet, though, and I might like one of those even better. Besides, two weeks ago I was settled on getting a brand new Mustang, which I now know would've been a mistake. I'm also not sure I'll be able to find exactly the car I want used, so it'll be helpful to have more options. Thanks for all the help so far- this is an awesome forum.

#294142 - 27/02/2007 17:39 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
All 3-series BMWs are the same size. The next size up is the 5-series, and they're liable to be too big for you. Also, I don't think that they come as coupes.

Speaking of which, I don't really understand why you're so opposed to 4 doors. Is it that the styling isn't sporty enough or that you think those two extra hinges somehow compromise the car's performance? Actually, you can get a G35 sedan (the "sport" package) that has more power than the G35 coupe.

#294143 - 27/02/2007 17:41 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Cool, Lexus makes good cars. I'd recommend them, though I've never been in a G35. My parents have always had a company car, and their last two have been the LS430. Fantastic cars.

The Mini is definitely not what you're looking for if your after a slightly larger car now, but I still recommend test driving one. They're simply a hell of a lot of fun to drive. It's like a long free ride at the go kart tracks.

#294144 - 27/02/2007 17:50 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Is it that the styling isn't sporty enough or that you think those two extra hinges somehow compromise the car's performance?
It's all about the styling and how the car looks to me. My mother in law drives the sedan and I enjoy driving it, but I don't care for the looks as much. No accounting for taste, I suppose, but it seems to me that the G35 couple is perfect cross between "sporty" and "grown up" ("grown up" isn't the right word, but hopefully you'll take my meaning).

I could be swayed on the 4 door thing, but I've been paying attention to cars as I've been driving to work the last few days and I've yet to see a 4 door car I like.

#294145 - 27/02/2007 17:50 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Lexus != Infiniti

Lexus is the Toyota luxury marque. Infiniti is Nissan's. And, while we're at it, Acura is Honda's.

#294146 - 27/02/2007 17:52 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Okay, that's fair. When I hear "sporty" in reference to cars, I think performance, not looks. But as long as we understand what you mean, there's no problem with preferring a car based on looks.

#294147 - 27/02/2007 17:59 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I'd suggest you go over to Edmunds or Yahoo Cars and do some comparisons. I plugged in midsize coupes and very few cars come up. Even fewer when you remove the ones that are over $50k. Basically, you're left with the G35, the Mustang, the Toyota Camry, the Honda Accord, the Pontiac G6, and the Chevrolet Monte Carlo (yuck!).

You might want to check out a new Camry. They changed the styling this year. I think it looks pretty neat, but I've not been in one.

There are other coupes available in the same general size range, but the G35 is just big enough to be classified as a midsize instead of a compact.

#294148 - 27/02/2007 18:49 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
I haven't driven the Audi's or looked at used BMWs yet, though, and I might like one of those even better.

A quick search on Auto Trader you can get 2004 Audi S4's for 30K. It is a 4 door, but not as big as Audi's 6 series. I personally loved the interior styling of the Audi's, which was one selling point for me. You should seriously give one of them a test drive! On my '99 I was able to directly hook my empeg up to the factory speakers/amp with a harness from the UK. Other people hookup a phatbox through the disc changer interface, though I'm not sure on the newer cars.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#294149 - 27/02/2007 18:59 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Although it doesn't meet your 2-door standard, definitely check out the Acura TL. I don't think you'd be disappointed. One of my buddies has one with pretty much all the options and it's a pretty nice ride.

#294150 - 27/02/2007 19:23 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Lexus != Infiniti

Lexus is the Toyota luxury marque. Infiniti is Nissan's. And, while we're at it, Acura is Honda's.

Serious brain fart there. Of course, I know all those company associations. I was mixing Infinity and Lexus in my head, possibly because my parents have had company cars from both. I tend to like the Lexus vehicles more than Inifinity. I wasn't a big fan of the G35. The Q45 was nice, but I still like Lexus more.

#294151 - 27/02/2007 20:31 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
music
addict

Quote:
I want...

...an Ariel Atom!

Oh wait, I mean the inverse of that.

Quote:
Are all of the BMW 3 series cars smaller,

Blasphemy!
If you put a 3-series from the last 5 years or so next to one from the 80's, you'll see the new one is about 50% bigger (and about 50% heavier).
Their little sporty car has become a big ol' semi-luxury cruiser.
(Though it still maintains best-in-class performance despite becoming a big fat pig.)

And a more serious answer: you might want to take a look at the 4-door 3-series. It might be just enough bigger and still be sporty enough for you. And also the 2-door might not be as small inside as you think.

Quote:
I'd think that looking at used Audi's might be the way to go; are the models that music mentioned comparable to the G35?

TT coupe might be too small for you (possibly), and the A4 might be too stodgy for you (possibly). But as mentioned above, the S4 might be your "goldilocks" car. (not too hot, not too cold, just right)
It is a good car for a responsible family man who still wants to tear it up occasionally, but can throw a baby seat in the back at other times.
You'll just have to see if the lines of the car look good in your eyes.

All the A4/S4/330ci/G35 are all popular with 25-40 year old techie males for good reasons. So you probably will be happy with any of them.

I immediately ruled out the G35 a few years ago for no other reason than that it was not Empeg-able. But I enjoyed my test drive!

And based on a very limited sample size, I believe the G35 interiors tend to start rattling more than the BMWs when they get older, but that could just be luck of the draw, or difference in my friends' driving habits.
(And ALL cars seem to start rattling apart any more. The price you pay for replacing 50 pounds of screws with little plastic pop rivets.)

#294152 - 27/02/2007 20:52 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: JeffS]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
Roadsters, wagons, 4 door sedans, and SUVs are all out. Just not what I'm looking for right now.

Gasp! Heresy!

tanstaafl.

#294153 - 01/03/2007 01:47 Re: Buying a new car . . . [Re: music]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Ariel Atom is so 2004. Ariel Atom 2, Chevy Cobalt SS engine, eats Hondas for breakfast. According to some magazine I read at the barber. Now THAT'S a car on my must-buy list.

#294154 - 07/04/2007 08:46 Re: Buying a new car . . . Porsche perhaps? [Re: FireFox31]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My top choices for a two door would definitely be between the BMW 3 series and a Porshe 911, or a Porsche Cayman S.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2