Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#296463 - 09/05/2007 04:42 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: petteri]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Spoiler:
Zbuvaqre naq Flyne: jura lbh'ir tbg n penmrq xvyyre ba gur cubar jub arneyl xvyyrq lbh, lbhefrys, gura frr jung xvaq bs fzneg be qhzo zbir gung lbh raq hc znxvat. Jub gur uryy pbhyq ur pnyy, naljnl?

Flyne naq Uveb: gur nqiregvfrzragf znqr vg frrz yvxr Flyne ybbxrq hc juvyr gvzr jnf sebmra, ohg gur fubj znqr vg frrz zber yvxr Uveb ybfg uvf pbapragengvba naq erfgnegrq gvzr. Na nygreangr gurbel vf gung ur arrqrq gvzr gb npghnyyl or va zbgvba gb znxr gur fjbeq npghnyyl phg Flyne. Tvira nyy gur frghc nobhg gur ohfuvqb pbqr naq jungabg, V'z tbvat jvgu "ybfg uvf pbapragengvba."

Bu penc, Vfnnp-fna vf qrnq: Abj, sbe pregnva, jr unir rivqrapr bs gur qviretrag gvzryvarf. V'ir nethrq orsber gung jr pbhyq unir orra ybbxvat ng n fvatyr gvzryvar nyy gur jnl nybat. Abj, Uveb abgrf gung jung jr frr guvf gvzr nebhaq vf qvssrerag sebz jung ur fnj orsber. (Trr, Uveb, ubj nobhg ebyyvat gur pybpx onpx rneyvre gb tb pung jvgu Vfnnp orsber ur qvrq?)

Yvaqrezna: Abj jr xabj, sbe fher, gung Yvaqrezna naq gur Crgeryyv zbz ner va pnubbgf naq jnag gur obzo gb unccra. Na vagrerfgvat dhrfgvba vf jurgure gurl fbzrubj neenatrq sbe gur pbvapvqragny ohzcvat gbtrgure bs Crgre &nzc; sverobl. Gung'f cebonoyl whfg fbzrguvat gung trgf svyrq haqre "ybgf bs pbvapvqragny zrrgvatf unccra va guvf fubj."

Jung arkg sebz Uveb? Ur'f pyrneyl tbg gb trg gur fjbeq svkrq. Ohg qbrf gur gvzr geniry fghss jbex jvgubhg gur fjbeq? Crgre pna gvzr geniry nf jryy, naq jr xabj ur pna qb vg jvgubhg gur fjbeq.

Crgre tbrf xnobbz? Znlor. Vg'f orra sbefrra / sberfunqbjrq, ohg guvf vf pyrneyl gur ovt zlfgrel. Yvxrjvfr ubj gur ynfg irfgvtrf bs gur "byq" Flyne jrer jvcrq bhg jura ur xvyyrq uvf zbz naq gur "V pbhyq or Cerfvqrag" yvar. V thrff lbh pna'g unir n fhcre-ivyyvna gurfr qnlf jvgubhg tenghvgbhf cneragny vagrenpgvba. *fvtu*

#296464 - 09/05/2007 05:00 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: DWallach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Spoiler:
Uveb abgrf gung jung jr frr guvf gvzr nebhaq vf qvssrerag sebz jung ur fnj orsber.

Ur znl unir fnvq gung, ohg V qba'g xabj gung jr pna gehfg gung jung gur punenpgref fnl vf "gehr". Nsgre nyy, shgher Uveb jnf pbaivaprq gung fnivat gur purreyrnqre jbhyq fnir gur jbeyq, ohg gur purreyrnqre jnf fnirq va uvf gvzryvar naq ur qvqa'g xabj vg.

Jnf gurer nal npghny rivqrapr gung jung unccrarq va guvf rcvfbqr qvq abg unccra va gur shgher rcvfbqr'f cnfg? V qba'g guvax fb, ohg V pbhyq or jebat.

#296465 - 09/05/2007 06:01 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: andy]
adavidw
addict

Loc: Utah, USA
Quote:
Quote:

24 just gets more and more insane with every episode. That show knows no limits to poor writing, continuity, time lapse and of course with some performances so bad they deserve special award recognition (even the Razzies are too good for them).

Why on earth are you watching it then ? Surely life is too short to carry on watching TV that you know sucks ?

We stopped watching 24 sometime early in season 3, it already sucked big time then.

I missed 24 when it started, but heard all of my friends talking about, so I figured I'd get into it eventually. I can't just pick up a show halfway into it. If it's got any kind of running story at all, I've got to start at the beginning. So, when the episodes started rerunning on cable, I set up a wishlist on TiVo to catch them until I had enough to start at the beginning.

Just last night, about 2/3 of the way through season 3, I decided, "F this. This show is retarded". I figured after watching 2 2/3 seasons of this and seeing the show have to resort to the same plot devices over and over, the exact same setups, and the exact same conflicts, I was sure to only get more of the same. By this time, I had the entire remaining run of the show up to last nights new episode on the TiVo, and I deleted it all.

I was second guessing myself today. Like Bruno, once I started into it I felt a sort of obligation to finish. But I'm feeling pretty good tonight about my decision to kick. I'll be able to put that ~82 hours (minus commercials plus who knows how many other seasons they'll make) to much better use, and my TiVo's breathing a lot easier now with so much more space available.

#296466 - 09/05/2007 10:29 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: adavidw]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
I can't just pick up a show halfway into it. If it's got any kind of running story at all, I've got to start at the beginning.

I am just like that as well. However, I think you'll agree that it makes almost no difference what order you watch the seasons of 24.

#296467 - 09/05/2007 10:33 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Spoiler:
Qna, V nffhzr lbh'er ersreevat gb zr (V pna'g gryy jvgubhg dhbgvat, juvpu vf jul jr'ir zbirq gur Urebrf qvfphffvba gb nabgure guernq). V unir gb qvfnterr jvgu lbh, gubhtu. Nf gur "urycshy" erpncf unq whfg gbyq hf n srj zvahgrf orsber, Zbuvaqre jnf abj va pbagnpg jvgu "Gur Pbzcnal," fb cerfhznoyl ur'q pnyy gurz. V qba'g guvax ur'q or fb qhzo nf gb pnyy gur pbcf. Jung gur uryy jbhyq gurl qb?

Edited by Dignan (09/05/2007 10:33)

#296468 - 09/05/2007 13:54 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I responded on the "spoilers" thread rather than over here...

#296469 - 09/05/2007 14:38 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: adavidw]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
Quote:
Just last night, about 2/3 of the way through season 3, I decided, "F this. This show is retarded".

I said that after suffering through the first season. I don't see why people consider the show to be good.

#296470 - 09/05/2007 15:22 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: RobotCaleb]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:
Just last night, about 2/3 of the way through season 3, I decided, "F this. This show is retarded".

I said that after suffering through the first season. I don't see why people consider the show to be good.

Well, they certainly keep you on the edge of your seat, and Jack Bauer is definitely one of the most badass characters around (he's so tough he doesn't have to pee).

Aside from that the writing is dull, the plots aren't very creative, most of the characters do really dumb things that no sane person would do, and the whole show is repetitive. Other than that, it's great!

I wish someone would create a list of the dumbest TV characters of all time, just so Kim Bauer could be right there on the top. She is the stupidest character ever. yet somehow she became a computer technician worthy of CTU in just three years (between season two and three). Riiiight...

#296471 - 09/05/2007 18:39 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: DWallach]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
Maybe somebody needs to do something analogous to the Phantom Edit for 24.

I've got seasons 1 to 4 on DVD, which the wife and I have watched in large chunks, which means that I can skip past the "last time on 24..." stuff. It also meant that we could skip past all the Kim and Teri bits, making the whole thing much shorter and more enjoyable.

24 ain't high art, but it is enjoyable, as long as you don't take it too seriously.

#296472 - 09/05/2007 18:46 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: Roger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Roger, just wait until you see Season 6... IMO, the difference to past seasons is night and day. As if I need to say it again, not in a good way.

#296473 - 09/05/2007 20:10 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: hybrid8]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I gave up on 24 after season 3- though had it been on TV I'd have probably stopped midway through (we'd already purchased the DVD set).

I really enjoyed season 1 and 2, though.

Someone gave me season 1 of Prison Break on DVD for Christmas and we really enjoyed that, though I haven't watched any of Season 2 yet.

I still like Lost, though I understand most have given up on it these days (I haven't watched the past three weeks due to my wife being out of town, though, so no spoilers!).

Also, Earl is still a main staple for us as well.

We never did get into Heros. I'll probably buy the DVD set after the end of the first season if you guys still give it the thumbs up, though

#296474 - 09/05/2007 20:28 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I totally don't understand why people are badmouthing Lost these days. It's like they had a couple mediocre episodes and everyone bailed. It feels to me largely like the same show it always was, only they've told you a good portion of the backstories of all the characters, so you don't get these huge character reveals anymore. But, then, people complain when they introduce new characters, which is the only way you're really going to have that same sort of huge character modification any more.

Then people get whiny that they're not revealing anything. Well, of course they're not revealing the main mystery; they've got 48 more episodes to go after this season. But it's not like they're not adding any more information.

People are just whiny. They want to know the secret behind the magic trick, but once they find out, they're not going to be interested any more. Losers.

#296475 - 09/05/2007 20:48 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I totally don't understand why people are badmouthing Lost these days. It's like they had a couple mediocre episodes and everyone bailed. It feels to me largely like the same show it always was, only they've told you a good portion of the backstories of all the characters, so you don't get these huge character reveals anymore. But, then, people complain when they introduce new characters, which is the only way you're really going to have that same sort of huge character modification any more.

Then people get whiny that they're not revealing anything. Well, of course they're not revealing the main mystery; they've got 48 more episodes to go after this season. But it's not like they're not adding any more information.

People are just whiny. They want to know the secret behind the magic trick, but once they find out, they're not going to be interested any more. Losers.
Oh good. I am glad I not the only one who feels this way, because you've pretty much nailed my feelings IMHO. I don't know why I ever listen to the opinions of people not on this forum

#296476 - 09/05/2007 21:04 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I'm still very interested in Lost and it's still one of my favorites. Every now and then there's a weak episode, but even those have some interesting elements. Every now and then one of the back stories is also somewhat weak. I'm fine not knowing everything, but to keep people interested they need to wrap some details while introducing other plots before the series ends.

Lost has suffered a bit by not having as well developed a story line ahead of time as it could have. There have been a lot of details and changes that were last minute decisions, not the least of which has been cast turn-over. A seemingly very well developed play book is why I think Heroes is doing so well.

#296477 - 10/05/2007 00:27 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Another that I started from the begining with is Prison Break, and this season has also been a complete clusterf&ck.
Hmmm, I missed this the first time around. So not worth getting when it comes out on DVD? Too bad, cause I really liked the first season a lot.

#296478 - 10/05/2007 00:30 Re: TV sucks [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The second season didn't really hold a candle to the first. I came really close to stopping to watch it, but the last few episodes were pretty interesting, and made me interested in next season. If you can wait, I'd wait for a report on season 3 before investing in season 2, either fiscally or temporally.

#296479 - 10/05/2007 00:32 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

* applause *

Bitt, you hit the nail on the head. I agree with your comments 100%.

Personally, I thought season 2 of Lost wasn't as strong as the first, but that's to be expected of many shows. Besides, I think season 1 of Lost is one of the best seasons of TV ever made, so it's hard to live up to that.

But that doesn't matter, because that's not what turned people off of the show. I think most people bailed early on this season just because, like you said, "they weren't revealing enough." I have to ask these people what show they're watching, because as far as I can see they reveal stuff all the time. There's constantly new information. The only thing is that most of the information brings up new questions, but I love that.

It's okay, though. I feel sorry for the people who bailed on Lost, because most of them did it before the third season really picked up. The first Desmond flashback episode was probably the mark of the turnaround, and easily the strongest episode of the second and third seasons as of yet. It seemed to me that the show really found its footing again and has been doing really well ever since. His other flashback episode was nearly just as good.

Quote:
A seemingly very well developed play book is why I think Heroes is doing so well.

Bruno, you know I like Heroes, but I think it's unfair to say to say that before the first season is even done. Who knows what the play book will look like 3/4 of the way through it's third season. I'm not as confident as you about it.

Edited by Dignan (10/05/2007 00:36)

#296480 - 10/05/2007 00:58 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

It's safe to say based on interviews with the people behind both series. Early on the producers of Lost made it very clear they had some ideas but that it was very open. The people behind Heroes seem to have a better grasp of making sure the show maintains its hook, but still wraps up enough plot lines to keep people from getting bored as well as picking up new viewers.

The HUGE mistake with Lost was taking it off the air for so many weeks. That's what killed it for many people. Some didn't come back to watch and others were expecting some big explanations in the first new episode.

I'm not sure whether to be glad or sad that JJ Abrams isn't with the show any more. Het let Alias go to complete garbage which was evident by the third season. Thankfully Lost is holding on strong right now.

I think Heroes is a more enjoyable (and creative) program than even the first season of Lost. It started really strong for me because of the similarities to Unbreakable.

#296481 - 10/05/2007 01:02 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

A somewhat new "sitcom" I'm enjoying is Notes from the Underbelly about 30-somethings in L.A. having their first baby and dealing with their changing lives.

Things are also looking good for a 7th season of Scrubs which is good news. #1 hospital/medical show IMO.

#296482 - 10/05/2007 01:49 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well, I certainly can't disagree with your statement about the breaks, but naturally you can't blame the show for that.

I'm constantly frustrated by the networks and their horrible scheduling. The only explanation I can give is that they fear the off season and are deluding themselves into thinking that multiple two-month long breaks aren't the same exact thing.

*edit*
Just to be fair, it's not like Heroes is immune to the extended breaks. In just it's first season, it's had two seven week breaks.

Edited by Dignan (10/05/2007 01:54)

#296483 - 10/05/2007 01:51 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: hybrid8]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Amen. Scrubs is a great show. I was really disappointed that they dropped 3lbs after 3 episodes. That was a cool show as well. Well, the first three episodes were good, anyway. Firefly is still on top of my "I can't believe they canceled this" list, though.

#296484 - 10/05/2007 08:22 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: hybrid8]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Early on the producers of Lost made it very clear they had some ideas but that it was very open.
Open in the sense of the individual characters, but the overall plot was mapped out over 5 seasons very specifically. The first season was an introduction, the second revealed the hatch, the third focused on the others, the fourth and fifth . . .

Personally, I've really enjoyed the show, and I still trust it that we are going somewhere specific (not like the x-files where they just invented stuff as they go along). I can't wait until we can get into Heros, though. Sounds like a solid show.

#296485 - 10/05/2007 08:24 Re: TV sucks [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Quote:
If you can wait, I'd wait for a report on season 3 before investing in season 2, either fiscally or temporally.
Ah, thanks for the feedback. We might do exactly that.

Too bad, though, I really enjoyed season 1 a lot.

#296486 - 10/05/2007 08:28 Re: Heros on 4-30-07 [Re: Dignan]
adavidw
addict

Quote:
Quote:
I can't just pick up a show halfway into it. If it's got any kind of running story at all, I've got to start at the beginning.

I am just like that as well. However, I think you'll agree that it makes almost no difference what order you watch the seasons of 24.

At the end there, I became pretty convinced that it made no difference what order I watched the individual episodes.

Ugghh. My head still hurts.

#296487 - 17/05/2007 08:18 Lost on 5/16 [Re: adavidw]
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Spoiler:
Fb vs gur pnfgnjnlf arrqrq gb phg bss gur wnzzvat fvtany pbzvat sebz gur haqrejngre Ybbxvat Tynff ungpu, jul abg whfg frire gur yvar ehaavat npebff gur ornpu naq vagb gur jngre? Vg jbhyq frrz gung gur yvar cebivqrf ryrpgevpny pncnovyvgvrf gb gur Ybbxvat Tynff. Frirevat gur yvar zvtug fgbc gur fvtany (nffhzvat gung gurl qba'g unir n lrne bs erfreir onggrevrf qbja gurer).

#296488 - 17/05/2007 09:26 Re: Lost on 5/16 [Re: Cybjorg]
adavidw
addict

Spoiler:
Gung jnf zl svefg gubhtug, gbb, ohg V guvax gb or fnsr, lbh'q unir gb nffhzr gung cbjre jnf pbzvat sebz nabgure fbhepr, naq gur pnoyr jnf whfg sbe pbzzf. Vg nyfb frrzrq yvxr gbb fznyy bs n pnoyr sbe gur cbjre erdhverzragf gung n ynetvfu fgngvba zvtug unir (nffhzvat ovt chzcvat naq oernguvat znpuvarel).

#296489 - 18/05/2007 02:32 Re: Lost on 5/16 [Re: Cybjorg]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't know how much the real world applies to Lost, but there's no way that a cable that flexible and that size could possibly be carrying enough power for a station that size. The survivors have to assume that it's at least as big as the hatches, plus it has a lot more power consumption in life support systems if it's underwater.

#296490 - 18/05/2007 10:15 Re: Lost on 5/16 [Re: wfaulk]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Not only that, but wasn't the cable frayed? I'm wondering if the ladies under the sea are with Ben or leftovers from the original Dharma gang....

#296491 - 18/05/2007 11:44 Re: TV sucks [Re: hybrid8]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
You have no idea how much TV could possibly suck until you live with an 18 year old female. The only thing my TV has on it anymore are goofy assed reality shows, something about deals and Heroes, oh and CSI: Miami. The only reason I know it was Miami is because during one show when I stopped in there to talk, she turned to me and (looking completely serious) goes 'a lot of shit happens in Miami'. I hope she wasn't serious, but it was really hard to tell if she wasn't. It occasionally gets hockey when I chase everybody else out of there because I don't feel like watching it on the crappy 19" TV in my room. I had no idea how bad it was until last night... they were watching some hairdressing competition.

I weep for the future.

#296492 - 18/05/2007 12:12 Re: Lost on 5/16 [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Bitt, it would have been nice if someone had mentioned the possibility of cutting the cable. Like hurly or Charlie (seeing as he was expecting to die). Then it could have been dismissed by Sayid while consulting the plans

As it stands, even though it may not be the power cable, it could be the communications link going to some antenna/array to do the scrambling.

Over all I can say this has been a very good season of Lost. So much for the nay sayers.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >