Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#312812 - 09/08/2008 02:35 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: cushman]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Originally Posted By: cushman
My iPhone seems to have trouble switching back and forth between EDGE and 3G seamlessly, sometimes I will get a very strong EDGE signal then it will drop to a 0 bar 3G signal. I just turned off 3G unless I really need it (am in a good area and need to do some heavy surfing) and that fixed a lot of my signal issues.

Bear in mind that "bars" are a very arbitrary indicator. Unlike zero-bar 2G when you'd be lucky to get a single byte of data to/from the network, I still get very passable 3G data speeds with zero-bar 3G. Also, camping on 3G networks is pretty much the same power as camping on 2G - it's just when you actively use the network that 3G starts sucking power.

Hugo

#312813 - 09/08/2008 02:42 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: Cris
The case is annoying me, the right hand side is fine, a smooth tactile finish, but the left side of the phone is not put together correctly, this is really annoying me now, I notice it every time I touch the device. I am thinking about returning it, but it feels a little petty doing that.

I don't know how the retail stores for the phones work in the UK, but here in the US, it's a very painless process. You make an appointment at the Genius Bar, walk in at the appointed time, and walk out 10 minutes later with a new phone.

If there is an obvious defect in the casing, I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation doing it. The company *expects* people to return items with defects. They know that they can't make 100 percent of them perfect. And when there *are* defects in the field, they want to know about them so they can make their assembly and quality control procedures better.

In other words, there's nothing petty about returning a product like that. Don't think twice.

I second this; the product should not have cosmetic imperfections. Take it to an Apple store and ensure you examine the replacement before you accept it - I've had preproduction units with sharp bezel edges on one side and they're not nice to use.

I know it's not very english to complain about small cosmetic details, but do it. I'm getting better at it now I've been here a couple of years smile

Hugo

#312828 - 09/08/2008 18:47 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: DWallach]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Quote:
Does that mean you can't stuff multiple addresses into the account prefs like you can in the full Mac OS version of Mail?

I know you can set up multiple accounts. What it won't let me do (and I've tried several ways) is set up my account at gmail.com with an email address other than my @gmail.com address.

If you set it up manually, instead of selecting GMail, you can. The GMail setting ends up using your address as the login name as well, but manually will let you set them independently. Google offers help on this here.

Also, if you sync mail settings to the phone from OS X Mail, the multiple addresses trick Bruno was speaking of will work. While the phone won't let you insert a comma in the address field, it does get synced over. You then can click on "From" when composing, and select any one of the valid From addresses you have on the phone.

#312829 - 09/08/2008 18:51 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: altman]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: altman
Beyond that, it'd be nice if the phone would erase itself if someone kept trying to crack your PIN, but I don't believe it does that... I should file a bug really!

This is possible, but not exposed as a setting on the iPhone directly. Instead, you need to create a configuration profile with the iPhone Configuration Utility, and deploy it to the phone. It allows PIN requirements to be set, along with when to wipe the device if the wrong PIN is put in too many times.

*edit* Nevermind, it looks like it will allow the device to be locked out, but it doesn't wipe the phone. I couldn't find any specifics on how this works, so no idea what has to happen to unlock the phone if the wrong PIN is given too many times.

Edited by drakino (09/08/2008 19:07)

#312853 - 11/08/2008 12:29 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: drakino]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
If you set it up manually, instead of selecting GMail, you can. The GMail setting ends up using your address as the login name as well, but manually will let you set them independently.

Excellent! That's what I was missing.

#312856 - 11/08/2008 14:36 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: DWallach]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Originally Posted By: DWallach
If you set it up manually, instead of selecting GMail, you can. The GMail setting ends up using your address as the login name as well, but manually will let you set them independently.

Excellent! That's what I was missing.

Unless I missed it somehow that still gives but one email address (and potentially one more for each other account, in the from/cc/bcc thing); the , separated syntax even when sync'd over from a mac seems to have no effect.

#312861 - 11/08/2008 15:20 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: Daria]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: dbrashear
Unless I missed it somehow that still gives but one email address (and potentially one more for each other account, in the from/cc/bcc thing); the , separated syntax even when sync'd over from a mac seems to have no effect.

This is how it shows up on mine. First picture is the e-mail settings, showing a comma separating two addresses. Then when composing an e-mail, I can tap From, and up comes a selector showing 4 addresses (2 from my miniinfo account, and 2 others from 2 more accounts). This is with iPhone firmware 2.0.1, syncing from an OS X 10.5.4 machine.

Attachments
iphonemail0.jpg

iphonemail1.jpg

#312865 - 11/08/2008 16:10 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: altman]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I second this; the product should not have cosmetic imperfections.

Thanks Hugo. I don't think advice gets better than that wink

I am on the road at the moment, and I am loving the iPhone, email seem to be better now I have turned fetch to manual me.com seems to be doing it's job and push it working again. Again the maps function proved useful in finding a good place to eat.

Still pretty happy, battery life seems good but I am not so sure it is going to be good enough to last a day in a year or so time.

Cheers

Cris.

#312871 - 11/08/2008 21:38 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: Cris]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
My co-worker got his last week, and the battery drains from full to dead in just under two hours, with NO use. He went to ATT to get it changed out, and they refused. He got the manager, who apologized, and said they'd take care of it. Two days later a box from Apple arrived. An empty box. They want him to ship it back to them so they can repair it. He went back to ATT today and the only way they would let him out of the store with an Iphone in his hand is if he BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE. Once Apple received the original, they'd refund the Original price.

That, my friends, is shitty customer service.

#312872 - 11/08/2008 21:46 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: lectric]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, I had the exact opposite experience when I needed to get my iTouch exchanged at the Apple store. It was a completely painless procedure and was some of the best customer service I've ever received.

Hope that AT&T's terrible service doesn't reflect badly on Apple.

#312874 - 11/08/2008 21:49 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Apple won't let you leave with an unactivated iPhone. The old iPhone 2G they'd let you leave with it and activate it at home but a significant portion were hacked instead. They didn't want that to happen this time.

Edited by tman (11/08/2008 21:55)

#312875 - 11/08/2008 22:06 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: tman]
petteri
addict

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Went to a At&T store today, will get an iPhone in 7 to 10 days. I went to an Apple store last week and could have walked out that day with a phone. My AT&T account is tied into my company's account so I get a 5% discount on my monthly bill, therefore for some reason I must by the phone from a AT&T store.

The AT&T manager there wasn't happy with the arrangement. I wonder how many sales he's lost because he doesn't get any phones.

#312876 - 11/08/2008 22:19 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: lectric]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I bought my 3G at the Apple store. It had an odd problem where the home button would be very difficult to press when the dock connector was attached. After 3 weeks of ownership, I decided it bothered me enough to make an appointment at the Genius Bar. The tatted-up pierced dude behind the counter verified my complaint and swapped my phone for a new one on the spot without my asking.

That, my friends, is excellent customer service.

#312885 - 12/08/2008 03:50 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: lectric]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: lectric
That, my friends, is shitty customer service.
Sadly, thats about what I'd expect out of AT&T. While I don't get along with the people at the Genius bars much, they at least do their job and replace hardware when needed. Apple corporate seems to keep a very tight leash on the stores and their policies, unlike AT&T and their stores.

Edited by drakino (06/11/2008 23:20)
Edit Reason: nitpick edit

#312886 - 12/08/2008 03:54 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: tman]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tman
Apple won't let you leave with an unactivated iPhone. The old iPhone 2G they'd let you leave with it and activate it at home but a significant portion were hacked instead. They didn't want that to happen this time.

I walked out the door with my iPhone still in the shrinkwrap, though I did go through the AT&T upgrade procedure at the store on their little PDA checkout devices. Came home, plugged in the phone, and was presented with the same iTunes activation system as my iPhone last year.

#312889 - 12/08/2008 05:31 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: robricc]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Originally Posted By: robricc
I bought my 3G at the Apple store. It had an odd problem where the home button would be very difficult to press when the dock connector was attached. After 3 weeks of ownership, I decided it bothered me enough to make an appointment at the Genius Bar. The tatted-up pierced dude behind the counter verified my complaint and swapped my phone for a new one on the spot without my asking.

That, my friends, is excellent customer service.

Ditto.

I ordered my 3G the day they were available to order online from O2, it (should have) arrived on launch day (but the delivery bloke couldn't be bothered to, so he took it back to the depot without even attempting to deliver - so I collected the next day). After a couple of days the accelerometer failed, I phone O2, spoke to the monkeys who told me to try everything that I'd already tried before speaking to them, they then transferred me to Apple.

Apple told me to make an appointment with the genius bar at my local store (luckily Cambridge has just got an Apple store due to the posh new shopping arcade), took it in, they verified that the phone was faulty and replaced it there and then, the phone hadn't even come from them!

Adrian

#312890 - 12/08/2008 07:22 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: robricc]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Originally Posted By: robricc
The tatted-up pierced dude behind the counter

Is that a prerequisite for the job? It's the same over here.

Andy M

#313041 - 17/08/2008 04:34 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: drakino]
Daria
carpal tunnel

This is how it shows up on mine. First picture is the e-mail settings, showing a comma separating two addresses. Then when composing an e-mail, I can tap From, and up comes a selector showing 4 addresses (2 from my miniinfo account, and 2 others from 2 more accounts). This is with iPhone firmware 2.0.1, syncing from an OS X 10.5.4 machine.

I can't get it to do it for Gmail, but you're right otherwise. Hm.

#313042 - 17/08/2008 04:39 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: Daria]
Daria
carpal tunnel

I got mine at 9:01am in Pittsburgh, 24th in line, opening day. At 9:35 it finished activating and I left smile

Things I want:
-hwpen updated for 2.0
-bluetooth keyboard
-bluetooth a2dp (i have been poking at frameworks trying to figure out what might be done here; don't want a fob)
-bluetooth obex
-better tethering than socks.
-streaming wma (though i will probably work on that this week)

It's nice as a replacement for my old phone. It's not good as a replacement for my Treo, yet.

Also, I got a small scratch in my screen; I might learn about polishing glass frown

The bluetooth tethering is disappointing. I am working on getting the kernel so I can look at loadable modules. After poking at ffmpeg I discovered that vlc4iphone does windows media audio streams, so I don't need to worry about that: I can have CD101 on the iPhone.

#313051 - 18/08/2008 02:12 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: lectric]
altman
carpal tunnel

The device must have got pretty hot for that to happen - 1150mAh battery = 4.255Wh = about 2 watts per hour or maybe a 30C rise above ambient. Did he complain of it getting hot? Did it operate normally in those 2 hours?

Still, the ATT customer service sounds very sucky... I don't think the same would have happened if he'd got it from an Apple store, but I realize this isn't exactly convenient for a lot of people.

Hugo

#313067 - 18/08/2008 14:17 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: altman]
Cris
pooh-bah

Is anyone getting connection issues?

It seems to come and go, I think on local signal strength. Sometimes the phone just isn't useable and several times this weekend I was unable to hold a conversation as the phone would just drop the call over and over again. My other o2 phone seemed to be ok.

I have seen a couple of reports in other places of this, but it's really hard to get it to repeat. Sometimes it's fine ???

I am assuming this could also be the source of my email problems. Would I be right in thinking a break in the 3G network could cause the email app to hang, or at least take a while to pick the connection back up?

Battery life also truly sucks, even with WiFi, bluetooth and 3G turned off I only got half a weekend of standby time out of it this last weekend (no access to a charger) and this is with very little use. I am beginning to think I have got the runt of the litter here, there just seems to be too many things not quite right with this unit. I must get myself down to that Apple Store!

Still love it though, when it works the email is great, and having Safari in my pocket is just great I find myself using it for all sorts.

New niggle - The person who decided to put that switch at the top left of the phone needs a smack smile It's just too easy to knock the phone into silent mode in your pocket. Can I disable it's use anywhere ???

Another niggle - When you update your apps (when it prompts you) it rearranges your icons on your home screen. Annoying!

Also, who decided an iPhone case has to cost £30 ??? (I know there are cheaper options, but the ones you can buy in the shops all seem to be about that).

Cheers

Cris.

#313068 - 18/08/2008 14:34 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: Cris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I've also heard reports of people complaining about connection problems. Interestingly, have a look at this.

Battery life: I also think it's reasonable to expect that with all those features turned off, you should get a weekend's worth of standby time out of the thing. Assuming you weren't using it to surf and talk the whole time, of course. I don't know what its specs actually are, though.

Agreed that repositioning the software icons after an update is a pain. I'm sure that's something that everyone complains about and that they're going to fix eventually.

Switch: I happen to really like that switch. I like being able to check it for its silent-mode without having to pull it out of my pocket and punch buttons, like I would have needed to do with my old phone. If you get one of those rubberized sleeves for the thing, the switch will be recessed more and will be less likely to accidentally get moved. But like you said, that's another £30. smile

#313071 - 18/08/2008 14:49 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: tfabris]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
I think DealExtreme has the rubber covers for a just couple of bucks.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.500

Edited by Robotic (18/08/2008 14:50)

#313072 - 18/08/2008 15:05 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Switch: I happen to really like that switch. I like being able to check it for its silent-mode without having to pull it out of my pocket and punch buttons, like I would have needed to do with my old phone.

I like the switch as well, as it's been the easiest phone I have owned to quickly throw into silent mode. The one downside that I can see to it is the inability to have a location/time aware ringer though. A friend of mine had this on his old Symbian phone, where he could have it go to silent automatically at specific times, or in specific locations. His phone didn't have GPS, but it could keep track of the cell towers and signal strength to estimate where he was. If he went to the movies, his phone switched to silent automatically.

I suppose this might be possible still on the iPhone where the software overrides what the switch says, but it would also require running an app in the background. Thats still a nono in iPhone land sadly. It would be nice if they could open it up a little bit, like offering crontab like functions when the phone is not actively being used.

#313073 - 18/08/2008 15:49 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: tfabris]
Cris
pooh-bah

I've also heard reports of people complaining about connection problems. Interestingly, have a look at this.

Hmmmmm, yes I think I may be one of the 2% then. At least I hope so smile

It is a very strange problem as it doesn't do it all the time in the same locations. Our building at work is a good example, generally 3G is very bad in the building and it's about 50/50 that I can take a call without being cut off and that's right in the centre of Leeds! I am not big user of the phone part of the iPhone but I still notice issues, where as with other phones I have it's never been an issue and I never gave it a second thought.

I wonder if there is a link between my case issues and the cutting out problem? ie something inside not quite right by a tiny fraction?

I can see the advantage of a switch for that function, just not so keen on it's positioning. I really like the idea of GPS position or time sensitive ringer settings!

Cheers

Cris.

#313074 - 18/08/2008 17:21 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: drakino]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Switch: I happen to really like that switch. I like being able to check it for its silent-mode without having to pull it out of my pocket and punch buttons, like I would have needed to do with my old phone.

I like the switch as well, as it's been the easiest phone I have owned to quickly throw into silent mode. The one downside that I can see to it is the inability to have a location/time aware ringer though. A friend of mine had this on his old Symbian phone, where he could have it go to silent automatically at specific times, or in specific locations. His phone didn't have GPS, but it could keep track of the cell towers and signal strength to estimate where he was. If he went to the movies, his phone switched to silent automatically.

I suppose this might be possible still on the iPhone where the software overrides what the switch says, but it would also require running an app in the background. Thats still a nono in iPhone land sadly. It would be nice if they could open it up a little bit, like offering crontab like functions when the phone is not actively being used.

The switch is brilliant.

I would love the ability to automatically switch alerts to silent during specific time periods, like monday to friday 10pm till 8pm I want emails to be silent so I don't get woken at 3am by the latest viagra offer and maybe 10pm till 11 am on the weekends.

Adrian

#313078 - 18/08/2008 22:14 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Try turning push off - wifi doesn't suck power unless the phone is awake (ie, it doesn't affect standby time), but push can, depending on network conditions etc.

With a minimal config you should get weeks of standby...

#313079 - 18/08/2008 22:50 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: altman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK

With a minimal config you should get weeks of standby...

Minimum meaning 3G off ?

#313084 - 19/08/2008 00:38 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: altman]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Yes, the device DID get quite hot. I also agree about the apple store, but the closest one is an hour drive away. At any rate, it's now sorted. We have a friend who is a rep at another store, and she told him the names to ask for when dealing with the PITA rep. The guys eyes got a little wider when he asked for the rep's supervisor by name. After he said his supervisor wasn't available his eyes got yet wider when my friend asked for his supervisor's supervisor by name.

After that, the whole attitude changed.

#313096 - 19/08/2008 14:03 Re: So who got a new iPhone today? [Re: Cris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Cris
Hmmmmm, yes I think I may be one of the 2% then. At least I hope so smile

So does the 2.0.2 update from yesterday fix your connection issues?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >