Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#354097 - 13/08/2012 17:36 To-do application
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm looking for a to-do application and I'm having a little trouble finding one that fits my requirements. Hive mind to the rescue!
  • Needs to have some sort of task dependency feature
    • I don't really care how it's implemented, but it needs to be able to support more than just a simple sequential dependency. (Being able to support sublists as tasks and having lists support both sequential and parallel completion would be fine, for example.)
  • Needs to support a smart list of things that can be done now based on those dependencies
    • That is, I want to be able to see a list that excludes things that depend on other things that haven't been done yet
  • Free
  • Needs to be usable on a Mac
    • Can be browser-based, native app, whatever, just not a Windows-only app
Any suggestions?

Ones I've looked at so far that (seem to) fail my requirements include:
  • Toodledo
  • Producteev
  • Do.com
  • Nirvana
  • Wunderlist
  • GQueues
  • Astrid
If you think that I've made a mistake with one of these, let me know. I may have.

#354105 - 13/08/2012 22:11 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Remember the Milk?

I'm honestly not sure if it does what you're asking for, as I haven't tried it in years, but I didn't see it on your list. The paid version mostly adds mobile support and syncing with Outlook.

#354108 - 14/08/2012 00:24 Re: To-do application [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

No, it doesn't. Here's a list of some more that don't:
  • Timegt
  • Tasque
  • Conqu
  • Task Coach
  • Todoplus
  • New York Minute
  • doit.im
  • Things
  • iProcrastinate
  • Task Unifier
However, it looks like Hiveminder might do what I want.

#354109 - 14/08/2012 01:26 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Basecamp?

Edit: I could swear they used to have a free limited version, but I no longer see that option.

#354129 - 14/08/2012 12:24 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

After trying to use Hiveminder for a while, I'm having problems. The biggest is that there's no way to see my whole hierarchy of tasks, which makes it really difficult to figure out how to put things in the hierarchy. Add on to that the fact that when adding dependencies, the only way to add one is to already know its UID....

Well, it's just more of a pain than a help.

After using it for a while, though, I've been able to come up with a better way of saying what I want: a tool that will keep a hierarchy of tasks and show me which ones I can work on right now. Hiveminder does that, but it's far too difficult to edit an existing hierarchy.

#354159 - 14/08/2012 21:41 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
TDL? I haven't used it in ages, but it worked well for me when I did. I'm not sure how complex your dependencies are, but for my simple needs, the sublists were sufficient. Open source, with fairly straight-forward code (I submitted a patch for a bug), so if it doesn't do what you want yet, it could likely be modified so that it did.

#354173 - 15/08/2012 14:12 Re: To-do application [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

As much as I am a command-line guy, using the command line for this sort of thing is just not working for me. (I also tried TaskWarrior, which has dependencies, and is also command line.) I don't want to constantly have to reference multiple sets of outputs in order to manipulate tasks. I left "mh" behind long ago.

I think that I've found a contender in Tracks. I dismissed it before because the available demo site was running an old version and didn't have the features I needed.

The dependency manipulation "gesture" is backwards from what I'd expect, but I think I'll get used to it.

#354179 - 15/08/2012 15:54 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
I left "mh" behind long ago.

Well, naturally. It was replaced by "nmh". wink

#354181 - 15/08/2012 17:04 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I also looked at Midnight Inbox (Classic) again. It actually comes really, really close, but its selection of workable tasks from its hierarchy is maddeningly backwards. Basically, you can have lists embedded within lists, but it presents to you as workable the first (uncompleted) item in each list, regardless of its position in the hierarchy. For example, in this list:
  1. Major Task
  2. Major Task
    1. Subtask
      1. Item
      2. Item

it selects 1, 2.a, and 2.a.i as the workable items, while I want them to be 1, 2.a.i, and 2.a.ii.

#354193 - 16/08/2012 12:36 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

FWIW, I'm taking this thread over to my Google+. If anyone is interested, I'll be talking about my experiences there. No reason to bore you guys with my braindumps.

#354195 - 16/08/2012 13:27 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
No reason to bore you guys with my braindumps.

I just got transferred to a new group writing software requirements (what the hell?), please, for the love of all that is holy, bore us with your braindumps.

#354200 - 16/08/2012 14:06 Re: To-do application [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, seriously, what's this BBS for anyway? smile

#354201 - 16/08/2012 14:16 Re: To-do application [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Fine. Crossposting it is.

#354202 - 16/08/2012 14:24 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I've been thinking a lot about task dependency over the last few days, and while what I initially thought I wanted was subtasks, it isn't. What I really want is task dependencies. After finally finding a few tools that supported subtasks, I found that what I wanted to do with them was really awkward.

The use case for this for me is that you look at a list of tasks and realize that you can't complete one without first completing another. I look at my list of tasks frequently and each time I have to realize that that one task is dependent on another is time wasted. So I would then want to mark that task as dependent on the other task. At that point, that task would be hidden from my list of tasks until its blocking task has been completed, at which point it would reappear in the list of tasks.

A trivial example is:
  1. Read "Getting Things Done"
  2. Purchase "Getting Things Done"
I obviously can't read it before I purchase it, and I don't want to be reminded to read it until I can actually do so. So I mark task 1 as dependent on task 2 and then my task list looks like:
  1. Purchase "Getting Things Done"
When I mark that task as complete, my task list suddenly looks like:
  1. Read "Getting Things Done"
It seems like this is doable with sublists, but it's not. Here's an example:
  1. Install Apache
  2. Install Linux
I can't install Apache before I install Linux. Fair enough. I mark task 1 as dependent on task 2. In the naïve sublist implementation, this looks like:
  1. Install Apache
    1. Install Linux
Now I realize that I also want to install MySQL:
  1. Install Apache
    1. Install Linux
  2. Install MySQL
I can't install MySQL until I install Linux, so I want to mark task 2 as dependent on task 1a. But with a sublist implementation, there's no way for multiple items to depend on a single item. You'd have to have some sort of group item containing both Apache and MySQL that depends on Linux, and then once Linux is completed, for that group item to explode into its constituent items.
  1. Install Apache / Install MySQL
    1. Install Linux
And then you get into problems with dependencies in the other direction. Say I now want to install PHP. But I have to install Apache first. But it's now part of a group with MySQL, which PHP doesn't depend on.

It's probably possible to come up with ways to force these scenarios into being represented by sublists, but it gets really awkward really quickly, and then you end up wasting time trying to figure out how to create the structure of your lists instead of doing productive work.

That said, having a more abstract dependency model can end up making things hard to visualize. I think the middle ground is to merely notice these dependencies as they arise in your task list and just mark them then. There's (probably) no reason to delve deep into the planning process for this sort of thing. Notably, making sublists forces you into that mode, assuming that your project gets even remotely complicated.

I think that the real answer is just to recognize that one task depends on another when it occurs and mark that dependency then and forget about it. That way you're not wasting time doing ridiculous planning, but you're also not repeatedly wasting time remembering why you haven't started on that one task in your list yet.

#354204 - 16/08/2012 15:55 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
I would love to be have a similar system at work, at the moment it's all done via email resulting in 100s of emails daily, most people mark as unread items not dealt with but it's totally inadequate and the people CCd on the task are just random based on the who the originator thinks should be involved.

I've looked at help desk systems before but they're either too simple/basic, or extremely complex so I'm definitely interested in your experiences too.

#354206 - 16/08/2012 16:00 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Just to get it out of the way, none of the following task management tools seem to support any sort of task hierarchy or dependency at all. Since this is a requirement for me, I'm not even going to bother reviewing them at all. (This is a lie. Jump to the bottom for a couple of very small reviews.)
  • Remember The Milk
  • Producteev
  • Toodledo
  • Astrid
  • Do.com
  • Wunderlist
  • Things
  • Todoist
  • Asana
  • Orchestra
  • Any.do
  • Conqu
  • Tasque
  • TimeGT
  • New York Minute
  • HubList
  • iProcrastinate (honorable mention for best app name)
  • doit.im
  • TaskUnifier
  • Firetask
Those are vaguely ordered with most well-respected and/or well-known at the top, based on my personal bias.

Again, none of these support any notion of task hierarchies or task dependence that I can find. If you think I'm wrong about any of these, let me know and I'll take another look.

That said, if I didn't have that requirement, I'm pretty sure I'd be using Asana. It looks nice, it works well, there are a huge amount of collaborative features, and I like the unique pricing model. The only thing I can think of that I'd add is native clients, and, honestly, the web app works really well. More than well enough for a Fluid/Prism-type app to seem native. Also, they provide a pretty solid looking API, so native clients should be possible through third parties.

It's also worth pointing out that the very first product that I tried was Producteev, and I've been using it to keep ordered notes on this whole process. I also use Evernote for note-taking, but it doesn't lend itself as well to structure. (Maybe if they fixed their awful editor ….) I think that if I was looking for something very simple, Producteev would be the way I would go.

#354207 - 16/08/2012 16:36 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK

#354209 - 16/08/2012 16:57 Re: To-do application [Re: LittleBlueThing]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Ugh. That would require me using Emacs. Not gonna happen.

#354213 - 16/08/2012 19:52 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
I am not sure there's an OSX version but there may be: Microsoft Project.
It's CPM-PERT based, all dependencies should be well dealth with.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#354215 - 16/08/2012 22:33 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
What I really want is task dependencies

Probably I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do... but it seems to me that you could accomplish this using (drumroll, please...) you guessed it: Excel.

Make a list of tasks, say 1-9, more or less in order of importance.

Task 1
Task 2
Task 3
Task 4
Task 5
Task 7
Task 8
Task 9

Now add an index column in front of it, modeled on the Dewey Decimal system:

1.000 Task 1
2.000 Task 2
1.100 Task 3 (Dependent on task 1.000)
3.000 Task 4
1.110 Task 5 (Dependent on task 1.100)
4.000 Task 6
2.100 Task 7 (Dependent on task 2.000)
2.110 Task 8 (Dependent on task 2.100)
5.000 Task 9

Now sort the list by the index:

1.000 Task 1
2.000 Task 2
3.000 Task 4
4.000 Task 6
5.000 Task 9

The task you want to do next is always at the top of the list. You can have tasks dependent on tasks that are dependent on tasks that are dependent, ad-infinitum, that is if you had a new task that was dependent on task 2.100, you'd add it and index it as 2.110.

When a task is finished, delete it from the list. It isn't real pretty, but you could make it so with a bit of conditional formatting.

Of course, as I said, I probably don't fully understand what you're trying to do. But this is how I'd do it if I weren't retired and not under pressure to do anybody else's tasks. Oh, wait... SWMBO... smile

tanstaafl.

#354222 - 17/08/2012 07:54 Re: To-do application [Re: tanstaafl.]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
you could accomplish this using (drumroll, please...) you guessed it: Excel.

Hammer.

#354223 - 17/08/2012 07:56 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK

make. It does dependencies. Or, design a DSL using Ruby and use rake.

#354226 - 17/08/2012 11:47 Re: To-do application [Re: tanstaafl.]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Other than completely agreeing with Roger (if someone made a tablet that just did spreadsheets, I can't imagine how excited you'd be to got get one), your system fails one of the basic requirements of task management (which I admittedly didn't state): that it show me all the tasks I can perform right now.

Quote:
1.000 Task 1
2.000 Task 2
3.000 Task 4
4.000 Task 6
5.000 Task 9

In that list, I can perform tasks 1, 2, 4, 6, and 9, but I have to scan through the whole list of every task in order to discover that.

#354229 - 17/08/2012 13:47 Re: To-do application [Re: Roger]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roger
make. It does dependencies.
I came ->this<- close to suggesting make. smile

#354232 - 17/08/2012 17:43 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Here's the "almost" list of tools that support some sort of task dependencies, but then fail in one manner or another.

Nirvana was mentioned by former Producteev users as one of the few tools that supports task dependencies. As it turns out, all it really has is the ability to select whether a project's tasks can be completed in parallel or if they have to be in series. There's no support for arbitrary dependencies, and no support for subtasks. I'm honestly not really sure how that helps. Otherwise it seems pretty nice.

Midnight Inbox Classic is a Mac OS X application. It supports task hierarchies, but not arbitrary dependencies. It has a to-do list that shows you the tasks that you can work on right now. That list also shows upcoming tasks ordered at the bottom of the list in a different color, which could be handy for letting them not get completely out of sight. When I first started trying Inbox Classic, I thought it was going to be the one. But then I realized I was confused by how it was selecting what tasks I could perform. I finally realized that it was marking the first task in every list as doable, regardless of the depth of the location of the list.

In my mind, if I have a list that looks like this:
  1. Purchase milk
    1. Drive to store
      1. Get driver license
      2. Get car keys
I have to perform steps i and ii in any order, then proceed to step a, then step 1. Inbox Classic told me that I could perform any of steps 1, a, and i; and after I completed i, I could then proceed to step ii.

It's possible that I could reverse my ordering so that this makes sense, but this seems to cause the incompatible dependency problem even earlier, plus it makes the final goal seem insignificant. Somehow I feel like I should be working up a hill, not down it.

TodoPlus supports hierarchies, but doesn't seem to have a doable task list. It also only runs on Macs through Mono (an implementation of Microsoft Windows .NET framework), so it looks like a Windows application, and a notably ugly one at that.

ActiveInbox is a Firefox and Chrome plugin that deals with your tasks directly within Google Mail. First off, this is a paradigm used by Microsoft Exchange, and it's never worked well there (IMO), so I'm immediately turned off. It also seems to support only hierarchies. To be honest, I was so turned off by everything being an email that I didn't really explore this one in depth. It did not appear to have any sort of task dependency.

Google Tasks is the tasks widget available in Google Calendar. It supports hierarchies, and if you check off a parent, all of its children autocomplete. But that's it. It even forgets which children you'd already completed if you accidentally complete a parent task and then uncomplete it. Again, not very useful. (BTW, it wasn't obvious to me how you can subordinate a task in Google Tasks. Simply press tab when a task is highlighted and it moves it in one level.)

GQueues is a third-party Google Apps plugin. It supports task hierarchies, but it doesn't appear to have any way to show only the doable tasks. Not really all that useful for me. I might as well just have a list on a piece of paper that I cross off as I go along.

#354268 - 19/08/2012 17:04 Re: To-do application [Re: wfaulk]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK

meh given you're linux/commandline then it's 50/50 you were emacs or vi smile

I think org-mode is about a 95% fit ... I just found this commit message:

"This adds two new tests to `org-agenda-skip-if': 'todo-unblocked and 'nottodo-unblocked. These match like 'todo and 'nottodo, but only on unblocked todo items. This type of test is useful when compiling custom agenda views containing lists of currently actionable todo items. "

All stored in plain marked-up text too - but nm ... such is religion laugh

#354269 - 19/08/2012 17:12 Re: To-do application [Re: LittleBlueThing]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By: LittleBlueThing
meh given you're linux/commandline then it's 50/50 you were emacs or vi smile

Only emacs users think they make up 50% of editor usage.

#354276 - 20/08/2012 01:26 Re: To-do application [Re: JBjorgen]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
Only emacs users think they make up 50% of editor usage.
smile

Attachments
real_programmers.png

#354281 - 20/08/2012 09:54 Re: To-do application [Re: tanstaafl.]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I had to use ed once on a system that didn't have anything else installed. That was an awfully traumatic experience that I never want to repeat.

#354282 - 20/08/2012 14:13 Re: To-do application [Re: Tim]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Tim
I had to use ed once on a system that didn't have anything else installed. That was an awfully traumatic experience that I never want to repeat.

When I started my CS studies in 1979, they DEC VT100 had just been introduced, but we still had a combination of ADM3a's and DecWriters - so a line editor was the only choice...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >