Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#93504 - 13/05/2002 10:49 Celine Dion kills your iMac..
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Read about it here.

So when do the class action law suits begin? And who actually paid for this CD?

#93505 - 13/05/2002 11:00 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, we've been talking about this one (and related copy protection issues) in other threads. Some good information about the copy protection schemes can be found in Andy McFadden's CDR FAQ.

I'm not sure I buy the "must be sent in for repair" bit. You know most Mac users, if the CD won't eject by dragging it onto the trash can, they think it's broken. I'm sure that there's ways for the end-user to get a CD out of there as long as they're not mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers.

And I also don't buy that it really damages the firmware.

Although I think it's cool that (according to the article) the Episode II soundtrack is protected. One of the users on this BBS mailed me a protected CD from Europe recently, because I wanted to mess with cracking it just to see if I could (which I did successfully by the way), and I've been itching to try my hand at some others.

#93506 - 13/05/2002 11:03 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Knuckle draggers... I love that term.

It seems that most Celine Dion fans aren't the ones most likely to be bothering to rip to mp3 anyway... odd.

I hope Phillips is successful in enforceing their standards to use the CD logo...

(sorry for the repost btw - I usually skip some of the copy protections threads - they turn into flame wars sometimes..)

#93507 - 13/05/2002 11:09 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I would think this is a good place to put such threads. I don't see how this is really on-topic for the empeg forum. Thanks for posting it. It made me mad, but not because of anything you did

#93508 - 13/05/2002 11:13 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I think that the main "General" forum is a perfectly good place to discuss MP3 technology, including ripping and copy protection. But OffTopic is also appropriate. Whatever blows your hair back.

#93509 - 13/05/2002 11:20 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Celine Dion kills my ears too.

#93510 - 13/05/2002 11:23 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
The problem is that most of those protected disks also don't play (or don't play correctly) on a regular audio-cd player!
I can't actually tell you what goes through you head If you've bought a CD only to find out you can't play it, but it goes something like this : huh? Damn! [censored]! G*dda@#|!!^ !!!! Bastards!!! (or something to that effect! )

#93511 - 13/05/2002 11:25 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: tfabris]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I couldn't get that page to load. Episode II of what is copy protected?

MKI #017/90

whatever

#93512 - 13/05/2002 11:29 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: svferris]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
Does this mean i will neve be able to a celion dion mp3s on my empeg

THANK GOD

#93513 - 13/05/2002 11:30 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: BartDG]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The problem is that most of those protected disks also don't play (or don't play correctly) on a regular audio-cd player!

True, but only for SOME audio-CD players.

They're trying different schemes in an attempt to find the magic bullet: The scheme that makes the CD play in the most consumer CD players as possible, while still preventing the computers from easily copying it.

The one that I saw did a pretty darn good job of it. The tracks appeared to be data tracks to the ripping software, so it basically said "hey, this is a data CD, I have nothing to do." Whereas an audio CD player just tried to play whatever it could, and worked without a problem. Very clever, guys, too bad you didn't count on certain CD copier programs which rip raw data and subcode channels and write convenient cue sheets for you.

#93514 - 13/05/2002 11:31 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: Laura]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Star Wars

#93515 - 13/05/2002 11:31 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: Laura]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Episode II of what is copy protected?

According to that Macintosh article linked at the top of this page, the soundtrack to Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones is a copy-protected audio CD. I look forward to ripping it and putting it on my player.

#93516 - 13/05/2002 11:33 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: tfabris]
svferris
addict

I can definitely say that Episode II isn't protected. We've already ripped it into our CD inventory, and a co-worker ripped it with the jukebox.

#93517 - 13/05/2002 11:35 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: svferris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Aw, darn!

Too bad the article wasn't accurate in that respect.

Like Andy says, there are a lot of cases of people assuming a CD is protected when they're simply having trouble ripping it because it was scratched or badly pressed.

#93518 - 13/05/2002 11:38 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: tfabris]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Yeah I've had it on my player for weeks also with no problem. I never could get The Fast And The Furious broken down with your utility though, I just left it as one long track on my player.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#93519 - 13/05/2002 11:38 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Sometimes they are protected in certain regions too... It seems that more are popping up in the UK?

http://uk.eurorights.org/issues/cd/bad/

#93520 - 13/05/2002 11:40 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: tfabris]
svferris
addict

We haven't run into a CD yet that we couldn't rip. And I'm pretty sure we're up past 10,000 now.

#93521 - 13/05/2002 11:44 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Saw a nice program from germany yesterday, Computer Club, where they demo'ed how to defeat one of the various schemes - garbled data track outside the music track(s). On the demo disc (can't remember what it was) this track was rather obvious.

The quick way was to attach a piece of non-transparent tape or a piece from a Post-It note tangentially on the outside of the CD, covering part of the data track (a segment of the circle). For more secure (less imbalance and no risk of it going astray inside the drive) or more permanent, yet removable, application, a water soluble black marker was recommended.

Article (in german) here. babelfish translation is so-so...

They also noted that in a few months they might not have been able to discuss this, as germany is considering new laws...

/Michael

#93522 - 13/05/2002 11:51 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: Laura]
Ralyon
journeyman

Loc: Florida, USA
"Episode II of what," thats funny, at least to a Star Wars fan.

Just thought I'd note because it was asked, there is a writeup on this at Apple's Site which also describes how to eject the CD (just in case.)

Ralyon

#93523 - 13/05/2002 11:55 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: Ralyon]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, like I said. I didn't buy the "send in for repair" and "damages firmware" stories. Didn't make sense.

"Hey, what are those dragging marks on the ground next to your workstation, Bob?"

#93524 - 13/05/2002 11:56 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: tfabris]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

LOL!

#93525 - 13/05/2002 13:49 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Yeah, like I said. I didn't buy the "send in for repair"

If a disc with copyrighted protection technology remains inside the drive after following the procedures above, or if the computer does not start up normally, it is recommended that you contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Apple Technical Support. CD audio discs that incorporate copyright protection technologies do not adhere to published Compact Disc standards. Apple designs its CD drives to support media that conforms to such standards. Apple computers are not designed to support copyright protected media that do not conform to such standards. Therefore, any attempt to use non standard discs with Apple CD drives will be considered a misapplication of the product. Under the terms of Apple's One-Year Limited Warranty, AppleCare Protection Plan, or other AppleCare agreement any misapplication of the product is excluded from Apple's repair coverage. Because the Apple product is functioning correctly according to its design specifications, any fee assessed by an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple for repair service will not be Apple's responsibility.

In other words, some systems may not eject the disk, and not offer a user accessable manual eject hole. Apple is not responsible for using these shiny discs in a Mac.

If anyone does have one of these discs, and a CD logo appears anywhere on it, I'd love to get a copy to then stick in my G4 Cube to see what is happening. And by what I understand, Yes, some versions of Star Wars Episode II are copy protected. But not all of them.

#93526 - 13/05/2002 13:55 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I still don't buy that sending in for repair is a requirement in these cases.

Unless apple was stupid enough not to include the paperclip-eject-hole on some versions of the Mac. In which case, I take back anything good I ever said about Apple.

#93527 - 13/05/2002 14:01 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: tfabris]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Unless apple was stupid enough not to include the paperclip-eject-hole on some versions of the Mac. In which case, I take back anything good I ever said about Apple.

From the Apple page linked above:

Attempt to locate the manual eject hole on the optical drive. The hold is sized for a paper clip and is located on the insertion side of the device. Some computers, such as the iMac (Flat Panel), Power Mac G4 Cube, and certain models of Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver or later), may not have a user-accessible eject hole.

Looks like a retraction is on the way...

/Michael

#93528 - 13/05/2002 14:23 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
thenominous

Loc: UK
In reply to:

I hope Phillips is successful in enforceing their standards to use the CD logo...

So do you think we'll ever see another section in the music store?
Tapes, LP's, CD's, "Shiny Circular Discs That Dont Work Very Well"
It just aint gonna happen

#93529 - 13/05/2002 14:26 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: mtempsch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You have got to be kidding me. No eject hole? That's brain-damaged.

Okay, then I can see how someone who doesn't own a screwdriver would need to send the computer to a repair shop. What were they thinking?

It's all about form over function for those barefoot bearded slackjaws up at Apple, isn't it?

#93530 - 13/05/2002 14:27 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: thenominous]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Some companies have already stopped putting the CD logo on them. Phillips owns the rights to it and they are not happy with what these companies are doing. But, in my mind, if they stop putting the CD logo on them, Phillips should sue for the being TOO similar to CD in that they are using the technology without a license (and inorder to get a license, they'd have to adhere to Phillips standards - ie. no copy protection.)

#93531 - 13/05/2002 14:28 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: thenominous]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
paul dreams

" a section entirly devoted to celion dion as well as all the boy bands please make it happen "

on a more serious thought what is stop you getting a cd player with a digital out and ripping it that way. If it works in the cd player that is.

Or should it be shiny plastic thing player

#93532 - 13/05/2002 14:29 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And incidentally, I think that if any class-action lawsuits are started, they should be directed at Apple for building an arguably defective computer without an eject button.

#93533 - 13/05/2002 14:32 Re: Celine Dion kills your iMac.. [Re: thinfourth2]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

on a more serious thought what is stop you getting a cd player with a digital out and ripping it that way. If it works in the cd player that is.

This works as a way to get around some of the protection schemes, true. But some of the schemes can even mess up the digital out. I can't explain the details because I don't understand them. Andy's CDR FAQ explains them (but when I linked his site earlier today it seemed to be down, dunno what its status is).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >