Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#350803 - 13/03/2012 17:34 Domain name claiming
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I guess it's my turn with the question. In this case, I'm trying to get a domain that is very clearly parked. I've contacted the seller - who seems very sketchy - and they're looking for something like $5000. I don't have this smile

Any ideas? It's not the end of the world if I don't get it - I was thinking of changing my company name anyway, but it certainly would be nice.

In case you're wondering, it's 3tg.net. I have 3tg.org, and I'm assuming that whoever has 3tg.com would demand six figures or something, even though it's not clear what the hell they do with their site...

#350807 - 13/03/2012 19:30 Re: Domain name claiming [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Unless you have a trademark and want to enforce it, there isn't a way to grab a domain someone else owns. There is no anti parking rule for domains, or any rule that states a domain needs to be in use for ownership to be retained.

#350810 - 13/03/2012 21:19 Re: Domain name claiming [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: drakino
Unless you have a trademark and want to enforce it, there isn't a way to grab a domain someone else owns. There is no anti parking rule for domains, or any rule that states a domain needs to be in use for ownership to be retained.

Ah, thanks. That's what I figured/was afraid of.

I guess the only hope is that they'll forget to renew wink

#350811 - 13/03/2012 21:41 Re: Domain name claiming [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
I guess the only hope is that they'll forget to renew wink

Sadly thats not a good strategy anymore. Some domain registrars will take ownership of an expired domain and then try to sell it themselves for more. And even if the domain registrar isn't being evil, other people/companies monitor what expires and will snatch them up to resell, figuring it's worth something. Enough people buy domains at higher prices to make it profitable.

About a year ago, I stopped trying to grab a domain I've wanted since 1999. At one point I even had a "buy this domain if it expires" watcher active somewhere, and it still was snagged somehow. Just add "buy the domains I want" to the "If I gain the ability to time travel" wishlist smile

#350812 - 13/03/2012 22:06 Re: Domain name claiming [Re: drakino]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
There's usually an auction after expiration. Domains don't just become available again anymore.

And all sellers with parked domains seem sketchy, so that much isn't a surprise. If you do intend to buy a domain, definitely do so with a third-party escrow service.

Over the past 15 years I've turned down multiple offers of $5000 for a number of my domains. wink If they had been for the right domain I would have jumped at the opportunity, but unfortunately they've always been for ones I'm more attached to and using for one purpose or another.

Back in late 2005 or early 2006 I also had the chance to buy a certain domain for around $10000 and passed. Today I'm still kicking myself - lightly, but still. If I had to do it again, I would have forked up the cash.

#350815 - 13/03/2012 23:02 Re: Domain name claiming [Re: hybrid8]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Change the name you should have a dot com name anyway :-)

Matt