empeg encounter

Posted by: thrasher

empeg encounter - 30/01/2003 20:32

I thought the empeg was really rare.lol I was going down the hwy 238 to 880 in hayward,CA. looked down and saw a black jeep rockin out with his empeg in a visual mode.with all the traffic over there and i just happen to look down and see an empeg,LOL thought I was seeing things.

i
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 04:48

Greetings!

They are relatively rare. What is the projected count - 4,800 units counting the Mark I, II and IIa? But they tend to be in clusters, as one person shows it off to their friends, etc. Or groups of people who "get in" working in the same area / company.

Anyone own a black jeep near Hayward, CA?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 08:38

Man you should have honked your horn and showed him your player.

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 08:43

I was in my diesel truck,He would of thought i was crazy.Wait I am.lol
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 08:51

Man you should have honked your horn and showed him your player.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!
Posted by: mcomb

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 12:12

looked down and saw a black jeep

If it was a lifted black jeep wrangler that would be me. I drive through there everyday to and from work. Sounds like we need to develop an empeg honk to say hi to fellow empeg owners :-)

-Mike
Posted by: jasonc

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 15:57

In reply to:

Sounds like we need to develop an empeg honk to say hi to fellow empeg owners :-)

i smell a bluetooth solution.
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 16:16

amount of empegs in scotland need something a bit beefier than bluetooth say something like huge flashing light

But i have an empeg sticker in me BMW never been spotted me thinks

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 16:37

Nice jeep you got there,you definitly need an empeg for that cumute everyday.
Posted by: tman

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 16:44

Bluetooth's range isn't that great. It would probably work if you're next to the other car but any further is pushing it.

- Trevor
Posted by: genixia

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 18:06

Sounds like we need to develop an empeg honk to say hi to fellow empeg owners

Honk......Hoonnnnk Hoonnnk......Honk Hoonnnk Hoonnnk Honk......Honk......Hoonnnk Hoonnnk Honk.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 18:07

And to think that people thought Morse Code was dead...
Posted by: JeepBastard

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 18:08

Cool! I got a black TJ with a empeg, but I am here in NY.

6 degrees of empeg.
Posted by: fusto

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 18:49

Sorry to go off topic with this, but how have you guys installed your empegs in your jeep?
Just today I took possession of a 99 TJ. Was thinking of getting the tuffy stereo console.
Amp location?
Speaker upgrade in the soundbar?
You can reply privately if you have any words of wisdom.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...
Posted by: Laura

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 19:23

Bikers have a special sign they give to each other as they pass on the roads, took me a while to feel confident enough to take my hand off of the grip to do it. Maybe we need something like that.
Posted by: Daria

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 21:59

One of these days I should learn it well enough that I can take my code test.

Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: empeg encounter - 31/01/2003 22:04

Dang! An Empegger and a biker. The world needs more women like you.

Re: empeg encounter - 01/02/2003 02:15

Cool! I got a black TJ with a empeg, but I am here in NY.

Yep, there actually seems to be quite a few of us jeepers here (me, you, clemsonjeep, fusto, etc). Maybe we need an empeg/jeep jamboree ;-) Too bad we are all in different parts of the country.

-Mike

Re: empeg encounter - 01/02/2003 02:21

Nice jeep you got there,you definitly need an empeg for that cumute everyday.

Thanks, the empeg definitely helps keep me sane with the 2+ hours of driving everyday. Now I just need to install a TV for when the traffic backs up Honk if you see me again. BTW, big diesel truck, do you mean an 18 wheeler type or just a big pickup? Big rigs honking at me might be a bit disturbing

-Mike

Re: empeg encounter - 01/02/2003 02:27

Bikers have a special sign they give to each other as they pass on the roads

Hmm, so do (short wheel base) jeep drivers although the "sign" is just a wave. But of course we can tell from a distance if the other driver is in a jeep. Maybe the next version of the empeg needs 802.11 (since bluetooth doesn't have enough range) to alert of an approaching empeg and tell you approximate distance based on signal strength. They could even exchange a favorite song or two as you drive by.

-Mike

Re: empeg encounter - 01/02/2003 21:07

Hey Fusto:

I was too lazy to e-mail you but I just have the empeg in the dash (i had to put a spacer in their for it to fit. My dash is black so it matches perfectly, blue looks fabulous, although green would have fit better with some of the lights on the dash.

I upgraded the soundbar speakers to 6 1/2 (i just had to drill new holes, the magnet fits fine into the existing holes. I use Infiniti referrence speakers, I also replaced the front dash speakers with Infiniti as well. I got them from circuit city so that when they blow i just take em back.

I put the amp in the back screwed down to a wooden box with a fiberglass cover with two 8. It takes up the whole trunk unforunately, but I have it roped onto the tailgate (i didnt want to drill into the body for fear of rust)

I just remove the backseat when i need cargo space, or place the objects on top of the seat, I moved someone from DC to NY with just the existing space (luckily he was a minimalist)

A challenge for me is to add a second amp to power the dash and soundbar speakers for when I remove the box in the back. Maybe a small one located between the front seats or under the dash (the latter would overheat quickly unless i find a way to cool it)

I park in a public garage, so it's not 100% safe, but better than the streets of new york. I dont have an alarm and i often have the top off. But New York isn't as lawless as it once was now that the government doesn't flood the streets with crack cocaine to give the middle east weapons anymore.

Needless to say, I always take the Empeg out of the dash, even if I go into a nightclub to dance, or leave the car in a friends drive way in the hamptons. My baby stays with me.

Re: empeg encounter - 01/02/2003 23:11

A challenge for me is to add a second amp to power the dash and soundbar speakers for when I remove the box in the back. Maybe a small one located between the front seats or under the dash (the latter would overheat quickly unless i find a way to cool it)

You could try an idea that I have been toying with for my jeep... Mounting one or both of my amps under the hood. I have a TurboCity airfilter on my jeep so the stock airfilter box is no longer used. I think it is big enough to hold one or maybe two small amps and would be pretty easy to waterproof. Right now I have two 8 inch subs in a custom box under the rear seat, but I have been wanting to replace them with two 10s built into the hide-a-trunk in the back and if I do that I need to relocate the amps that are currently there.

-Mike

Re: empeg encounter - 02/02/2003 12:34

I also have a huge AMP right now to drive all 6 speakers.. 5 channel amps are huge! although i am thinking two small ones for each channel might be better. Under the hood I have a in-car welder , so that space for amps is gone.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: empeg encounter - 02/02/2003 23:19

You could try an idea that I have been toying with for my jeep... Mounting one or both of my amps under the hood.

An even better idea would be to take your amplifier, fill the bath tub with hot water, power the amp up, then drop it in. After you've finished with that, put the amp on the sidewalk, and beat on it with a hammer.

The end results would be comparable to your scheme, and would have the advantage of being easier, saving time, and requiring fewer resources -- I mean, everybody has a hammer, right? In a pinch, a large rock would serve...

tanstaafl.

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 00:42

An even better idea would be to take your amplifier, fill the bath tub with hot water, power the amp up, then drop it in. After you've finished with that, put the amp on the sidewalk, and beat on it with a hammer.

Uhh, have you ever ridden inside a lifted jeep going 80mph down the highway with the top down in the rain? It isn't that much different than your plan and my amps have survived (well, one of the two does have some issues with the low pass filter). If anything a semi-sealed box under the hood is a better environment as long as the amp has a fan to cool it.

-Mike
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 00:58

Just how often does one drive down the freeway in the rain with the top down at 80mph in a lifted jeep? That seems just a bit suicidal to me...

Matthew

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 06:18

i do it all the time, although my current jeep doesnt have a lift, just 31".

It's quite liberating actually driving in the rain with the top down and the chicks dig it.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 06:19

At eighty miles per hour rain would have to be dropping at a "suicidal" rate to give you any problems... If I'm on the freeway in my convertible it has to be really falling before I pull over to put the top up.
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 11:11

I had the *exact* same thought... I turned on a few friends to the empeg a year ago (4 of them). One of them is a woman, and she borrowed one of my motorcycles last summer while I was away on another one on a long trip. She loved it and bought her own bike last fall.

Edit: How the hell do I quote in the other color so people know I am referring to our empeg-biker-woman listmate?

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 11:24

At eighty miles per hour rain would have to be dropping at a "suicidal" rate to give you any problems

Exactly, as long as you keep moving you stay pretty dry. But sooner or later you always have to stop or slow down for something. I have actually only been caught in heavy rain with the top down once and then only for a few minutes. It is kinda fun though
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 11:33

This reminds me of a near death experience i had years ago.

Hammering along the motorway on a very cold night doing about 80mph in an old diesel astra van and heater is on full blast onto the windscreen to keep warm and to stop it freezing. windshield/windscreen whatever starts to get a bit dirty after passing a truck so reach for the screen washers and hit the button. Now unbeknown to me the pipe has popped off screen washers. So hit the button and water from popped pipe shoots straight down the fan intake for the heater hits the heater matrix and turns straight into steam hits the screen and instant fog up. This is while hammering past a lorry in the middle of the night on an empty motorway.

Yikes not fun.

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 11:41

At least it was an empty motorway....

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 11:54

At eighty miles per hour rain would have to be dropping at a "suicidal" rate to give you any problems.

I was on the PA Turnpike during part of the time the remnants of Hurricane Hugo were passing by....
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 11:59

How the hell do I quote in the other color so people know I am referring to our empeg-biker-woman listmate?

There may be a better way to do it, but I just use [orange][i]text here[/i][/orange]

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 12:00

I just put [ i ] and [ \i ] tags around what I'm quoting...

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 18:26

THe only thing is that on the CJ, my dash didnt get wet.
It gets a little wet in the TJ. Like someone said, if you are moving, you wont get drenched.

Also, when you are moving in a straight line, it's alright, it's when you hit the breaks or try to turn that you realize that you are hydroplaning.

Re: empeg encounter - 03/02/2003 19:44

Thants why i didnt honk lol
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: empeg encounter - 04/02/2003 20:47

If anything a semi-sealed box under the hood is a better environment as long as the amp has a fan to cool it.

Allow me to quote from the owners manual for my a/d/s P-850 amplifier in the "mounting locations" section:

ENGINE COMPARTMENT MOUNTING
Don't even think about it. The PowerPlate (tm) was not designed to endure the harsh chemical and heat environment of the engine compartment. Failure to obey this warning will void your warranty.

Well, DO think about it. The under-hood air temperature in a modern car can exceed 300 degrees F. There are lots of chemicals in close proximity (anti-freeze, gasoline, lubricants, etc.) and despite the best efforts of the EPA, some of the more volatile constituents will escape into the under-hood environment.

You, as a human being, can actually survive a more absusive environment than your amplifier. Would you be willing to spend 10 hours in a box inside your engine compartment with a fan conveniently placed to blow 300 degree air onto you?

tanstaafl.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: empeg encounter - 04/02/2003 20:54

Next time on Fear Factor:
    Would you be willing to spend 10 hours in a box inside your engine compartment with a fan conveniently placed to blow 300 degree air onto you?
Posted by: andy

Re: empeg encounter - 05/02/2003 00:44

Well, DO think about it. The under-hood air temperature in a modern car can exceed 300 degrees F.

On the last season of Top Gear (a UK TV car show) when they had a TV chef on as a guest, they did a funny piece on cooking under the hood of a car. They took various meat and fish dishes, wrapped in foil and placed them under the hoods of various cars. They then drove the cars hard round a race track for an hour or so and then sampled the results.

Looking at their faces when trying the food the results weren't good...
Posted by: jarob10

Re: empeg encounter - 05/02/2003 11:23

Apparently some has written a cookbook on cooking stuff under the bonnet, for camping / survival type enthusiasts

I kid you not ...
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: empeg encounter - 05/02/2003 12:15

That would be, unfortunately, Manifold Destiny. Hah! Get it?
Posted by: fusto

Re: empeg encounter - 06/02/2003 19:09

Thats why jeeps have drain plugs.

Z~
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: empeg encounter - 06/02/2003 21:31

Apparently some has written a cookbook on cooking stuff under the bonnet, for camping / survival type enthusiasts

I can just see the first two instructions of every recipe:

Step 1: Run over small mammal.
Step 2: Scrape up animal and wrap in tin-foil.

Re: empeg encounter - 07/02/2003 18:38

i got a underhood welder..
i want to get a underhood shower