Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours!

Posted by: mlord

Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 25/03/2003 16:00

Help!

I'm partially buried in unclaimed docking stations, and I'd love to ship them to their new owners.

These are assembled, wrapped, boxed, and ready to ship. The only problem is, I require payment before shipment, and several people have not yet responded to emails.

So.. If you've ordered a docking station and have not heard from me yet, please check your queue position at http://rtr.ca/docks/

If you see notified beside the dock type (Works, Cool), then that means I am waiting for payment from you.

There are lots of people wait-listed below, and if those I have emailed do not respond soon, their docks will go to someone more deserving.

Cheers
Posted by: BleachLPB

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 25/03/2003 17:25

Hmm, add me to the wait list and if you need to move some sleds out then I can help take one off your hands. I think I missed the original thread (I disappeared for a lot of weeks).

I'll be at the NY meet in May, if you still have some extra/unclaimed then - bring one down.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 25/03/2003 19:36

I think they'll be long gone by May. Visit his link for ordering instructions. All you have to do is send him an email.
Posted by: JeepBastard

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 26/03/2003 05:46

nuts. im thinking about buying one now.

Yes, You can still order a dock.. - 26/03/2003 10:38

Hi,

While the current stock of dock components will run out after the next 57 docks are shipped, I am still adding names to the end of the order queue.

If we get sufficient additional orders beyond the current stock, then I may retool for another run.

So, if you want a dock, get on the list! Details in the main thread in the ForSale section of this BBS.

Cheers
Posted by: skibum

Re: Yes, You can still order a dock.. - 26/03/2003 10:58

Mark, what order number are you upto?

Re: Yes, You can still order a dock.. - 26/03/2003 15:05

Dunno.. just go the the web page and click the button with NO email address entered:

Not found in current order list, queue-size = 75; total docks = 121

Cheers

Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 26/03/2003 15:51

Okay, I've just sent out a slew of new payment notifications, mostly for "Cool" docking stations this time, since we have a bunch of prewired "cool" back panels here. And, oddly, the "Cool" folks seem to respond faster with payment than the "Works" folks! Very odd.

Anyway, this means some queue rearrangement has just happened, moving the batch of "Cool" docks to the top of the list for now. I'm still waiting for payment on about eight "Works" docks.

I've also dropped Philip Arnold (no response) to the bottom of the queue and offered his Basic dock to the next "Basic" person on the list.

Cheers

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 26/03/2003 17:02

Yup, no doubt about it.

The people who ordered "Cool" docks are indeed CL!!

Less than half an hour after emailing them, and most have now responded with payment (and gotten bumped to the top of the shipping queue -- they'll go out this week).

Thanks dudes!

(now, what about all them "Works" folks??)
Posted by: loren

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 26/03/2003 18:08

dammit. i'm thinking about ordering another one.... must... resist.....
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 26/03/2003 18:14

Surrender!!! You need one for the home, one for the office!!! Go for it!!!
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 26/03/2003 20:14

You need one for the home, one for the office!!!

I need two for the home and one for the office. If I had a garage, I'd need *three* for the home. Due to the IRS, however, I will be purchasing 0 for the home, and 0 for the office.
Posted by: loren

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 26/03/2003 23:40

Due to the IRS, however, I will be purchasing 0 for the home, and 0 for the office.

exactly.
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 27/03/2003 10:40

Woot!

Model = Cool,paid
Shipped dock #046!
Shipped via shipping

As opposed to "Shipped via trucking?" :-) I suppose it means that I didn't pick it up, but it's pretty damned funny... An extra field in the database? Beats the hell out of one too few...
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 27/03/2003 10:51

Due to the IRS, however, I will be purchasing 0 for the home, and 0 for the office.
Make sure you save your receipts, in case you get audited.

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 27/03/2003 14:15

"shipping" just means I haven't gotten back from the post office yet..

Entering tracking numbers now..
Posted by: Cris

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 27/03/2003 15:14

Am I to take it that international orders don't get a tracking number, as mine just says "via surface mail" ???

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 27/03/2003 15:55

Some of them do. My local postie was misinformed when he quoted me the original rates -- said same service as USA for a little more than USA. USA gets tracking number, but same service international doesn't appear to. Ugh.. surface could take a few weeks..

For newer shipments, I'm offering US$25 for air-mail, which DOES get a tracking number. No idea how long either way takes, as nobody has reported back on them yet (except for the USA folks: 10 days seems normal there).

Cheers

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 27/03/2003 19:39

Quite a few more docks went out in the mail today, and I've just sent out a few more payment requests, including some to "Cool" folks who were originally much further down the list --> we still have a few pre-wired Cool assemblies here, so I'm trying to move them out while we wait for more parts to arrive for the next bunch of Works docks.

This has been moving a LOT faster than I had originally intended, as I'm in a lull waiting for new hardware/software from my Linux clients this week.

Cheers

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 27/03/2003 21:13

Regarding international orders:

>For newer shipments, I'm offering US$25 for air-mail, which DOES get a tracking number.

Actually, that is not true either.. air-mail should be much faster than surface, but it still doesn't garner a tracking number. ExpressPost International is the service with a tracking number, and it costs about US$45+ (EDIT: correction, closer to US$50) per shipment (ouch!).

Anyone overseas who orders a pair of docks and pays for airmail is automatically upgraded to the ExpressPost service -- two docks together are too heavy for regular airmail!

Cheers

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 28/03/2003 00:56

In reply to:

Ugh.. surface could take a few weeks

Surface mail (international at least) is upto 8 week and usually somewhere around that. To SA its nearer 3 months. Worldwide airmail varies from 4-14 days in theory.

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 28/03/2003 06:39

Surface mail (international at least) is upto 8 week and usually somewhere around that. To SA its nearer 3 months. Worldwide airmail varies from 4-14 days in theory.
Ouch! Double -ouch! Andy, You've got mail!

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 28/03/2003 12:06

I did bring this up in the previous thread. I once waited almost 3months for a case to arrive. The vendor sent it via surface mail from the US for $10. No tracking number etc... I just had to wait.

I think these docking stations may end up like this, are they heavy ??? I can guess the size of the box, but I bet it doesn't make it air mail and they ship them over to the UK.

I would have paid $40 just for the piece of mind and insurance, if all the docks were sent to the UK at the same time the courier would have probably given quite a big discount. That happened with a power buy I was in over at avsforums.com

I hate waiting, buy hey the weather is good over here, time to learn how to fly my model heli me thinks

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 28/03/2003 14:28

Yeah, when I sent yours out, the postal guys told me it would just take a couple of weeks.. and neglected to mention that it goes by boat.

Airmail is US$25 or so, and 2-5 post is US$50 or so. Only the first five went out in regular mail (sorry guys); Once I discovered how slow it was, everything since has used air-mail or faster.

On the flip side, these are getting built and sent out much more quickly than originally anticipated, so I'm about a month ahead of "schedule" on them now.. roughly the same time you may end up waiting for yours.

Just this minute I got an email from the recipient of a parcel in The Netherlands. Parcel went out mid-February, arrived today. Now we know how long it takes..

Cheers

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 28/03/2003 14:38

6weeks, Crap !

Kind of ironic really, I was at the front of a Q and will get to the end of it last. That will serve me right for paying so fast

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 28/03/2003 14:43

On the other hand, if you order another one, I'll air mail it to you ASAP -- queue jumping and all..

Cheers

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 31/03/2003 20:03

I am now posting my status updates here, rather than in the (now huge) ForSale thread for these docks.

As of this week, production is slowing to a moderate crawl. I am still assembling/gluing boxes, but She Who Shall Not Be Named is not able to keep up with wiring the back panels. Her dad is dying (he's old, and has had a good life, but is currently in a coma), and she will be spending much of her time at her folks place in Toronto over the next few weeks.

I should still manage a couple of docks shipped each week for now, maybe more. Currently, I am awaiting payment from a number of people who seem to have forgotten about it..

And I have now purchased a number of critical components for building about 30 docks in excess of my original target. So everyone who is currently on the list will probably get a dock, someday.

And I encourage any lurkers to sign up Real Soon Now, because when I run out of Docking Connectors, I plan only one more purchase, for the exact number of docking remaining on order at that time.

Cheers
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 31/03/2003 21:43

She Who Shall Not Be Named
Each time you say that, I can't help but recall John Hurt's over-the-top but thoroughly convincing performance in the first Harry Potter movie... "After all, He Who Must Not Be Named did great things. Terrible... but great."

I wish you both the best in this difficult time.
Posted by: Attack

Re: Doing a batch of Cool Docks this week - 03/04/2003 22:04

I just received mine today.

The docking stations is GREAT!

Thanks for all the hard work.

Dock status 5-April-2003 - 05/04/2003 20:37

Okay, here's the current scoop on the Docking Stations:

64 docks shipped thus far, 86 still in the queue.

SWMBO (aka. SWSNBN) is splitting time between here and Toronto, as her dad is dying (stroke; in a coma now), so the wiring process has slowed considerably.

I have on hand 5 pre-wired back panels, and today I glued up 20 docks. On Sunday, I'll sand them and round the edges, and install the 5 pre-wired back panels. Those 5 completed units will likely hit the mail on Monday, to satisfy all orders that have been paid up thus far.

There are still a few people from whom payment has been requested but not yet received. I won't be sending any new payment requests until I have more back panels wired up. Today I also started on assembling 20 new back panels.

The plan now, since more than sufficient orders have accumulated, is to produce enough docks so that everybody currently on the order list gets one. The cutoff point for new additions won't be until after another 30 or so docks get shipped, when I'll need to reorder the docking connectors one final time.

I'd like to thank everyone who's ordered docks for giving me a legit opportunity to get back into my workshop after a 3 year hiatus. Most appreciated!

I also still have on hand a number of the small original RioCar USA AC Adapters, which I'm offering with any dock shipment for US$11/each extra. Many of these are now spoken for, but there's still some left. Email me to reserve one/more for your docks. And thanks also to Rob at Empeg Towers, who recently took ownership of a couple of Works docks in trade.

Docks have now gone out to USA, UK, Belgium, India, NZ, South Africa, Italy, Iceland, and other places I've no doubt forgotten to mention.

Thanks everyone!
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 06/04/2003 02:21

The cutoff point for new additions won't be until after another 30 or so docks get shipped

I hope you will give us a last chance warning before you cut off new orders. I would like to get one, but I haven't quite talked myself into the expenditure yet. Maybe in another week or two...

-Mike
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 06/04/2003 02:53

Yeah, I agree with Mike. Same problem here.
Please give us a "last chance to order one" before you pull the plug on your great project for good.
Posted by: phi144

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 06/04/2003 04:46

I believe we owe you thanks. I've had been waiting for a year and a half to have a docking station. Without your efforts I probably would have never had one, let alone two. So thank you for your time and skills. I'm sure you've made a lot of people very happy.

For those who haven't placed an order yet, do so. They are a amazing piece of work.

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 06/04/2003 08:11

I agree with you guys. I already have one on order, but am looking for another already. He did mention that he'd make another run if there were enough firm commitments from people. But that "other run" would certainly be the last.

I kinda wish we had a "one stop shop" for empeg stuff. Maybe someone could put something together that links to all the products, services? Maybe even at RioCar.org? Just would be nice to have empegmall.com and have it link to DarkStorm's lenses, the button kits, tuner kits, install services, digital output boards, sub out boards, Pelican cases, docking stations, sleds, etc. So many people have made stuff for us (or found products for us) but unless you catch a link in the BBS, you'd never know about it. Could even have a link to ebay listings and the empeg.comms.net BBS "For Sale". I truely think that many of us really don't know how many things are available for us out there.

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 06/04/2003 08:28

But do we really want to be reminded all at once just how much money we spend on this habit? Or risk having our SWMBOs stumble across it?

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 06/04/2003 08:37

Notice I didn't volunteer to build it!

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 06/04/2003 14:34

In my case it's because I've taken a six month leave without pay. I definitely want to buy a docking station but, if at all possible, I would like to wait until july. That's when I start to receive some cash again.
(same goes for an Anoface that's also on my list - but for that one I guess I'm also awaiting 303's forthcoming shorter knob design)

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 06/04/2003 14:40

Aftermarket facias! I forgot those, see, we need a page for this stuff. Would help all people selling stuff.

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 06/04/2003 18:12

>I hope you will give us a last chance warning before you cut off new orders.

Well, that was an advance notice. I will have to reorder stuff real soon now, say, after the twenty docks currently in the shop are completed and mailed out. That will happen within two weeks of now, I think.

Docks near the end of the current queue (around overall position 150 or so), will likely not ship until June at the earliest.

Cheers

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 07/04/2003 15:05

Three more docks in the mail today. The current backlog of PAID orders is "1" Works dock -- probably send that one out tomorrow, the first Canadian shipment! And one of the three today is bound for Switzerland.

But.. how embarassing..I forgot to verify the fan connections in the three that shipped today. I am sure they're fine, as we've never found a bad one yet, but except for these three, we always check them here before mailing...

Cheers

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 07/04/2003 21:00

But.. how embarassing..I forgot to verify the fan connections in the three that shipped today.

As punishment, you must ship me a dock!

Hmm... do you have a buy 2 get one free deal? Buy 2 get one half price? Is there a discount if we pick up, instead of having 'em delivered? (Dang it... I hope you have some docks left for mid/end of summer to coincide with when I have money again.)

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 08/04/2003 06:53

Well, actually, if you can drop by the house and pick it up in person, there is a reasonable discount.. saves me from having to package it all up nicely and fill out all that danged paperwork (new since 911).

Cheers
Posted by: fede

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 08/04/2003 11:37

What part of Canada are you in?

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 08/04/2003 14:23

>What part of Canada are you in?

The cold part. Oh, wait, that's probably not helpful.

Ottawa

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 08/04/2003 20:57

Bwahahaha!

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 08/04/2003 21:01

Yay!

(Of course, I'd only be able to take you up on that if you still have docks left by the end of the summer when I'll hopefully be visiting friends in Ontario.)
Posted by: fede

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 09/04/2003 07:21

We are going to be in Toronto in June, If mine are ready around that time and you are in town I might take you up on that offer.
Posted by: cwillenbrock

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 09/04/2003 10:17

Just received my two Works docks today. Verrry nice work there, Mark. They're sweet.

Posted by: TheRhino

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 09/04/2003 14:43

Seeing as the Stanley Cup Playoffs start tonight, will there be a dropoff in production der, eh? Actually I would like to see an all Canadian final (Sens vs. Canucks, maybe?) just to see how the U.S. media handles it. Just curious, what number are you working on in the queue??

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 09/04/2003 14:49

Dock #70 is currently at the head of the queue. Not likely to go out until next week, though. I have some wiring to do first.

Not to mention lots of watching the home team (first place overall!) skate towards yet another Stanley Cup choke performance!

Cheers

Re: Dock status 5-April-2003 - 09/04/2003 14:49

Hey, good stuff Chris!

Not much useful info on that tracking page, eh..

Cheers
Posted by: haffi

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 09/04/2003 14:57

Btw , Thanks Mlord for the Dock, just got it today and IT ROCKS!!!

p.s.
Bird was neat

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 09/04/2003 15:11

Happy Birthday, dude!

The Blue Jay was from behind our house.

Cheers
Posted by: Daria

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 09/04/2003 15:13

The Blue Jay was from behind our house.

For some reason, without context, this is sort of scary.

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 09/04/2003 15:16

That's right folks.. we gotta stuff them dock boxes with whatever's at hand..
Posted by: Tim

Re: Empeg Docking Stations: claim yours! - 09/04/2003 21:07

Mark,

I just got mine today... I love it! Absolutely beautiful. My only regret is the lack of serial port, so I'm gonna have to order another one (and get some AC adapters while at it ).

Thanks for a great product! (OK, i'm no longer allowed to watch playoff hockey alone, or drink while watching said playoffs....)

Six more docks - 14/04/2003 08:46

Okay, I have just now emailed the next six would-be dock owners from the queue. Well, actually, the next four -- one person is getting two docks, and the sixth dock is a "Cool" so I had to hunt further down the list for that one.

These docks are being assembled right now, and can hit the mail as soon as Tuesday, if/when they are paid for.

Speaking of which, I have removed the following names from the queue for lack of response:

Matthew_Kocher
Philip_Arnold
Carl_Tam

If you are one of those three and still want a dock, then please send me payment ASAP, and then I'll put you back in the queue, somewhere near the top.

Also, I have not received promised payment (30 days ago) from Rob_Royse, and so have dropped him to the tail of the queue for later.

Cheers
Posted by: elvis

Re: Six more docks - 14/04/2003 17:20

I'm #43..... ACK!

BTW, can I add one of those US power supplies while I'm at it?

Thanks

Re: Six more docks - 14/04/2003 20:48

> BTW, can I add one of those US power supplies while I'm at it?

Yup. But I'll need your email address to identify you. Email me!

Re: Six more docks - 17/04/2003 12:24

anyone tried to get to mark's docking station web page. I'm getting 504 gateway timeout.
Posted by: Chuck

Re: Six more docks - 17/04/2003 12:28

It works for I...

-Chuck
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Six more docks - 17/04/2003 13:03

Looks like Tony needs to reboot the internet.

Re: Six more docks - 17/04/2003 14:04

Site is up, and the error sounds like router trouble somewhere in the middle. But once in a while, my ADSL link drops for about 30 seconds and then comes online again. Just the usual "reliability" associated with a third rate ISP -- the telephone company in this case.

But when it's working (almost all of the time) it is great: 2mb/s down, 1mb/s up.

Cheers

One "Cool" dock, Ready to Ship - 19/04/2003 06:26

Sometimes it seems to take forever to get payments for docking stations.

I have here one "Cool" dock, for which two notifications went out last week (hedging bets..), and no response yet.

So.. anyone out there want it? ... GONE, THANKS

Cheers

Re: One "Cool" dock, Ready to Ship - 19/04/2003 06:31

Oh well, I might as well...

The cool dock is the one with all the bell-and-whistles except for the serial port, right?

I'll PM you now.

Re: One "Cool" dock, Ready to Ship - 19/04/2003 06:36

Yup, that's the one. Yours.

8 this week - 19/04/2003 07:58

Okay, I'm back from the post office (and about to go place some caches). Eight docks in the mail now for this week, and queue positions updated accordingly.

Happy Easter, all!

Docks.. the final tally - 21/04/2003 14:57

Today I reordered sufficient components to raise the total number of docks built (past+future) to 200. There have been around 175 orders to date, with a new one every couple of days now. So this allows for all present orders to be filled (someday..), as well as a few more orders as they trickle in.

I'm hoping to ship another eight docks over the next 7 days.

EDIT: scrub that.. gotta break for a few days now. Probably start shipping again in a week or two
Posted by: Jerz

Re: 8 this week - 21/04/2003 15:09

"...(and about to go place some caches)."

...ahhh, tried that for the first time last week and the five year old had a blast "treasure hunting" and I got to check out my new toy

...hmmm, I think I'll order a dock.

Re: Docks.. the final tally - 24/04/2003 08:27

Got mine today here in the UK. The post man left it on the door step, but it has stayed dry even in the rain.

Top work Mark, and thanks for the extra pins

For anybody waiting for thiers it is well worth it. The quality of the finish is much better than I had epected. I CAN'T hear the fan !!! Everything works 100%.

I think I am going to leave it untreated, as my desk top is anyway, see picture of it in it's new home.

Once again Mark THANK YOU. Why didn't the empeg team ever make one of these to go with the player in the first place.

Cheers

A VERY happy Cris.

PS - Sorry about all the shouting, but hey I've just got a dock !!!

Re: Docks.. the final tally - 24/04/2003 08:56

Cool. I'm just glad your dock finally arrived -- I will never ship surface across the pond again!

Cheers

Re: Docks.. the final tally - 24/04/2003 08:58

Great photo, by the way.. it really captures a nice soft mood for your office area!

Cheers