Colorado empeg meet

Posted by: drakino

Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 15:41

Alright, Rob Riccardelli needs an excuse to get out here and see the scenery:

So, I'm proposing a Colorado empeg owners meet. Three ideas I had.

1. Meet up at Dave and Busters in Denver September 13th. Expenses would be probably $8-$10 for a decent meal.

2. Go skiing/snowboarding sometime once the ski resorts open up in the later part of the year.

3. Hold the meet at my family owned property near Woodland Park, again September 13th, with the possibility of staying over till the 14th.

So, who is up for it, and what idea looks best?
Posted by: tman

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 15:43

Sorry to be off topic but thats a very funky looking house! Never seen any that shape before.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 15:47

Thats an A Frame cabin, very common around here. The angle of ours helps to keep any snow from doing damage to the roof in the winter time.

There is also an old fasioned log cabin on the land as well, but we abandoned it when this one was completed in the late 80's.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 15:47

Thats a pretty common cabin design here in Utah. I may be interested, number 2 sounds the best to me. I don't think I would have the money to make it by the beginning of September. Too much stuff to fix on my car first. But making it a little ski weekend/empeg meet sounds fun!
Posted by: tman

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 15:51

Ahh okay. I've never been out in the woods anywhere which had a very high snowfall.

- Trevor
Posted by: foxtrot_xray

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 15:57

I'm game! Espically if I'm out that way visiting relatives that time of the year, which is a distinct possibility... (Otherwise, I'll silently wait for a 'southern' meet.)

Me.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 16:08

Might as well toss a poll up here.

Oh, September time frame for the Cabin trip might very well be the timeframe that all the aspen trees seen in that picture are changing color.

What do you want to do at the Colorado empeg meet?
Dave and Busters
Ski
Visit the wilderness at the cabin

Posted by: xanatos

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 16:24

This is a great Idea.

Honestly I vote for Skiing a little later in the year (or early 2004 (get more vacation time!)). Skiing is better late dec thru feb, and I haven't gone in a year or so. But I'm game with D&B on the 13th as well, just also gotta find a way to get it done.

How many empeg owners ARE there in colorado besides you and I Tom?
Posted by: robricc

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 17:30

I'm up for either of those ideas. Count me in as a definite.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 20:33

Well, I know suomi35 is in Denver, and there might be others lurking here. I personally know 5 other empeg owners here in the Springs (due to me convincing them to buy), and some of them may attend.

Plus, looks like we might pull a few people from out of state.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 23:29

If it's skiing, I might be tempted to drive up from LA for a long weekend. Depends on what production(s) I'm on, though, and when they deliver.
Posted by: ajayrockrock

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 08/07/2003 23:47

I'm in southern california but I'd make the trip up to Denver as I have friends up there that I'd like to visit. And my first empeg meet would be nice as well!

--ajay
Posted by: MadDog

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 09/07/2003 00:20

Count probably the only guy in Wyoming with an Empeg in as well

I've been waiting for us mid-states people to have a meet for a while now
Posted by: TheRhino

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 09/07/2003 10:56

I'm out here too! I'm in Lakewood, but I should be moving to the other side of Aurora soon (closer to work. I-25 is KILLING ME!!!!). I vote for the cabin. I went to the Cripple Creek area last year in early October when the leaves were changing. Freakin' awesome, as Drakino will agree....
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 09/07/2003 14:22

I'd be up for a Coloradio trip sometime this winter.. maybe more december ish..

Empeg meet/snowboard outing sounds like the perfect combo..
Posted by: mail2mm

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 09/07/2003 15:09

Hello MadDog.........not quite the only one in Wyoming. I split my time between New Zealand and Wyoming. I will be in Casper in September with empeg in tow! Perhaps we can meet.

Michael

Posted by: muklebust

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 09/07/2003 15:26

In the ghetto of Arvada here. My roommate and I both own empegs. We're down to drink....and then maybe drink a little more after that.
Posted by: EDub

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 09/07/2003 15:27

Boise, Idaho here..how far is that anyways to you?

I might be tempted to go. Definitely skiing! and the cabin looks like a great place as well.
Posted by: MadDog

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 10/07/2003 09:39

Whooooaaaaaa, someone else in The Cowboy State has an Empeg?!?!? Who woulda thuink it?

I'm all about meeting up with other Empegers though! It looks like by the time we have the Meet, The Karma may be available (here goes to hoping)
Posted by: BleachLPB

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 10/07/2003 10:15

I would definitely go for some skiing. I've never skiied out west and I think this is the year to change that.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 10/07/2003 10:42

Wow. a bit more colorado empegers than I thought.

Last time I drove to Pinedale, WY it was still an 8 hour trek... but that's when speed limits were still 65... and I didn't exactly drive hehe.

According to Mapquest it would take 13.5 hours to get from Boise to Denver. I made the trip from Denver to Cincinnati in 18 hours (when it says 20), so if you speed a little, I'm sure you could cut it down to 11 (btw I only averaged about 5-7 over)

I'm game for Sep 13th, but would prefer a skiing meet like at Copper Mountain or something in the winter :P make it a two day thing :P

Be sore, drink beer, and talk about the empeg... sounds like a plan!
Posted by: suomi35

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 10/07/2003 12:48

Sounds great to me!

I vote for options 2 or 3
Posted by: trs24

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 17/07/2003 09:37

I'm in for this thing. I'm curious if there are any other empeg owners in NM. But CO is a shot drive.

Equally interested in 2 or 3.

- trs

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 23/07/2003 09:52

Ok, since it's still split between skiing and the cabin on Sept. 13th, I'm going to do both. Cabin as planned, and skiing probably next Feburary, or possibly March timeframe.

I'll get a signup sheet done for the Cabin meet and some details out to everyone. I need to update my driving directions with a few new notes to keep people from getting lost for a bit off on the wrong road.
Posted by: webroach

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 23/07/2003 18:28

I'm here in Aurora. Definaely down for a meet, since I've been watching the posts about all the other meets forever. Bout time we got one here in the middle. =^)

I vote for cabin. Not much of a skiier, and I've been to D&B's more than I care to admit.

This all, of course, hinges on me getting a new drive cable before the happy day.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 25/07/2003 10:23

Great sounds like a plan! And the good news is, is that I may be getting a new position for the company I work for, with WEEKENDS OFF! (wow that's never happened before). So, I'll most definately be going to both meets (skiing for sure).

I had no clue there were so many empegers here in Colorado actually :P

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 02/08/2003 22:05

Signup sheet is now online.

Also, I'll probably be renting 2 or 3 ATVs for this event.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 23/08/2003 10:54

Right now we have 6 people signed up for this event. I'll need to know final numbers here shortly so I can plan food and such.

Also, who all likes the ATV rental idea? Reason I ask is it would be cool if people enjoyed them and helped chip in for it. Rental seems to be about $70-$100 depending on the place and such. I'll be checking with the Woodland Park stores here shortly for availability.

--edit: To give people a better idea where this is, here is the exact coordinates taken from my GPS. Mapquest Map
Posted by: julf

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 23/08/2003 11:27

Mmm... Great location. Too bad I don't work for the company that kept sending me to Denver anymore...

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 02/09/2003 09:07

With 11 days to go for this, I am going to put in the reservations for 2 ATVs today.

For those attending, is the mapquest map above good enough? I will have signs printed and posted to direct people to the cabin once off the main highway.

Also, there is no water at the cabin at this time, as it has still been a somewhat dry summer. It would help greatly if everyone could bring a gallon or two of water with them. We will need both drinking water, and normal tap water for cleaning/toilet flushing. The rain this past weekend was helpful, but probably not good enough to have a constant supply on the 13th.

Food wise, I am going to buy hamburgers/hotdogs/braughts. I will also buy snacks and such, plus the drinks. Since I am going to be buying all the food, post any specific requests. Also please bring a few dollars to cover this. Breakfast wise (for those staying to Sunday), I'll probably cook french toast.

Last time I was up, the leaves were giving some slight hints at changing, so it looks like the meet is timed perfectly for some awesome golden aspen trees.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 03/09/2003 15:19

Awesome! I can't wait to get there.

I'll go ahead and bring a few gallons of water. I'll also bring my 5MP Digi, get some pictures of the event.

I'm all for braughts and kraut! (It's the german in me!) I don't really drink anything besides water any more, so I'll be good on that.

I think the Mapquest is good.

Oh yeah, do you have a time to meet up at the cabin? If you want I can head down early that day and help you get everything all setup.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 03/09/2003 15:34

``Braught''? I assume you mean ``brats'', as in ``bratwurst''. I think it's a little odd to transliterate the German ``at'' into a distinctly Old English (not by way of any German) derived ``-{a,o}ught''.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 03/09/2003 16:39

I'm planning on probably leaving the Springs around 8:30, picking up the ATVs on the way up, and getting to the cabin around 9:30-10.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 11/09/2003 15:22

Everyone registered for this should have an e-mail with complete directions and other information in it at this time.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 12/09/2003 09:06

Yup!

I'll see you bright and early tomorrow morning (circa 10:30)!

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 14/09/2003 20:50

Well, this event ended without anyone dying, but Rob tried the hardest to get hurt. Lesson learned, don't load ATVs onto a trailer in confined areas.

Anyhow, pictures will appear here . Anyone who attended has permission to upload pictures there.

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 15/09/2003 08:27

Well, this event ended without anyone dying, but Rob tried the hardest to get hurt. Lesson learned, don't load ATVs onto a trailer in confined areas.

Yup... That was a nightmare, but hey, after an hour, we got it working. It just took brute strength... well if you can call it "brute" :P

Once I get home I'll upload the few pictures I took.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Colorado empeg meet - 17/09/2003 22:56

Images uploaded.

Too bad there is no video capturing the moment my life flashed before my eyes... or when the truck went out of control at 60 MPH. Great meet though!