Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback)

Posted by: belezeebub

Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 27/04/2004 13:06

I swung by the machine shop at lunch and snapped a photo of the Alpha version of the face plate, its still needs the bevels on the edge, the bottom button hole needs to be larger and it still needs the lip on the back that the lens sits on but other then that it looks pretty good.

I was planning to offer them at my cost plus shipping, still trying to iron out that part with the machine shop remember this is just an Alpha version it is not the proto-type I will have on Friday.

I made enough minor changes to keep from being sued by RIO for copy write infringements so I feel pretty safe.

I was planning to offer them in three different flavors 1, Unfinished, 2. Electro-polished, 3. Black anodized. After talking to the platter I found out that “Anodize can be any color” I am not saying I will pantone match any color you want I am saying the company will make colored version for a small fee. Under no circumstances will I refund money on a custom color that is “too red or not green enough” so keep that in mind if you decide you want something custom.

All faces will come with a matching handle (During the plating process it is possible that some of the plating compound will find its way into the screw holes making it slightly harder to get the screws started)

I hope you like it, so with out any more delay here is a photo of the Alpha version snapped by my cell phone. (Yes those are my feet in the photo)

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 27/04/2004 13:12

Dang that Photo looked alot better on my cell phone, I guess I better dust of my digital camera.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 27/04/2004 14:20

Looks pretty good, even if it is only a "cell phone quality photo"!

I especially like the way how you opted to keep the original buttons shape, but did enlarge the viewable area. This will enable us to keep using our current transparent casted buttons. I never came to like the buttons 303 used for his fascia, and that's why I never bought one. I liked my transparent buttons better!
This fascia will also finally enable us, left-hand drivers, to read the entire display.

In short : looking VERY good! Keep us updated !

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 27/04/2004 15:11

Thank you, it was my plan all along to use the stock buttons, I'll have the finish proto-type on friday and I'll use my Digital camera for the photos so you can get a good look.
Posted by: Mach

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 27/04/2004 15:51

Pictures a little tough to tell but I also like the use of the old style buttons. One thing that you might consider is doubling the size of the lip on the back side of the fascia. In other words make it deeper for thicker plastic. The current lenses are 1/16" thick but the thinnest that most colors are stocked in is 1/8". I'm anxious to see the finished product. Good work!
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 27/04/2004 16:13

Great! Looking forward to it !
Posted by: mandiola

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 27/04/2004 16:39

Anyway to get a brushed aluminum look? I have a sony cd deck underneath my empeg that has a a brushed look and it would be cool to get them matched.

Thanks,
-Greg

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 27/04/2004 17:17

I just knew someone would ask for brushed, it can be done by the platter but he is hard core against doing them one up, he won’t do brushed unless I order 25 units, so unless demand is higher then I think it will be your best bet is to get an “Unfinished“ and have it brushed.

The reason is it’s a small item and has to be done by hand.

I have been advised before that a good way to get that brushed look is to use scotchbrite (that rough, spongey material). You first get it pretty smooth and then scotchbrite in all the same direction if you want parallel lines, and if you want a random brushed look, just rub the scotchbrite in random directions as you are brushing.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 27/04/2004 21:46

Nice design. It's a nice hybrid of 303 and stock empeg.

But I wonder, will our Darkstorm/Filener lenses work with it? Well, probably not Darkstorm since his have the raised oval center. But aren't (some of) Filener's flat? That'd be nice.
Posted by: speedy67

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 28/04/2004 01:20

Looks promising. It's most likely the design, i planned for the change from 303s design to one with original Buttons. So if you're successful, i'll drop this version and think of something other. (i still like the design, some CAD-Files were on here years ago) But thats still future... The first thing will be original 303 + handle.
Still have nothing in my hands yet.

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 28/04/2004 01:22

Most of Darkstorms were flat, too. Only the neon-ones had the raised oval...

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 28/04/2004 01:28

make it deeper for thicker plastic. The current lenses are 1/16" thick but the thinnest that most colors are stocked in is 1/8"

Wouldn't be the problem of loose original lenses if we make the lip for 1/8" ?

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 28/04/2004 08:22

I swung by and made a few changes,

1. Had the cut out for the lens changed to 1/8 to support the new lens

2. I had them start working on the handle

3. enlarged the bottom hole

Took a slighty better cell phone photo and I charged my digital camera and placed it in my car for next time.

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 28/04/2004 11:37

Just to clarify, all current "standard" lenses are 1/16" thick. There are no lenses being made with 1/8" material other than the beveled lenses. Bruce at Filener (link above) can likely make ones that are 1/8" thick but there's no source yet.

I was suggesting this because more color choices are readily available for lens plastic at the 1/8" thickness. You really should drop Bruce a note to order a test lens in 1/8" thickness if you are going to modify your design to fit a thicker lens. Can you offer the thicker lens recess as an option instead? I would be willing to pay for the extra CNC time.

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 28/04/2004 11:42

Yes, you would need to use a spacer between the lens and the player to keep it from rattling. There may also be a problem with shifting the knob forward 1/16". I'll try double stacking a lens this evening to see.
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 28/04/2004 13:39

Was it Beaker's design? I loved that one it looked gorgeous.

I'd be happy with an identical 303 fascia (black anodised) with shorter knob and matching handle.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 28/04/2004 21:27

Well, count me in for at least one (likely 2) reproductions for 303's NewFace. Likely one black and one clear brushed. Short knob or Alpine knobs would be great. The face needs modification to accomodate the Alpine knob. I'd really appreciate it if you would look into this. I think a lot of people may be interested in the Alpine knobs if a source can be found.

Bruno
Posted by: loren

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 29/04/2004 00:14

Nice work! My critique would be that i'd rather the left side not be so "square". Any way to round it out somehow to match the right side more would be awesome. It's just not very balanced imho. Maybe have the cut routed out so that it follows the shape of the button but at half depth or something... ramping down to the lens. Still, good job getting it going and getting the original buttons in there! Oh, and ditto the alpine knob... i'd love one.

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 29/04/2004 08:49

I'll look into the "sqaureness" I am not a very artisy person but I'll try.

I think a black anoidized fact with dark Smoke buttons would be nice, (just wish I had some dark smoke buttons to demo it with)
Posted by: bjoern

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback - 29/04/2004 09:58

Cool! Is it possible to make that in wood, too?
Posted by: loren

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback - 29/04/2004 10:43

One more little thing i just noticed... the space above the bottom right screw would look better if it was evenly spaced above and below... the same height. Hrm. Maybe i'll try and sketch up a face. Wish i had time to crank out a model!

Black with smoke buttons will look sweet.

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback - 29/04/2004 13:11

Okay, I told the machine shop NOT to make the cut out 1/8 inch, .

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 29/04/2004 22:50

You should be able to round the corners as Loren suggested without much difficulty - there is enough room. You should also be able to get rid of that little bump on the left side where the button ruins the vertical line of the main cut-out. There's room to kill there because the actual VFD is pretty small and will not be obscured.

You should also make sure to clean up the curves on the top right because right now there's something really funky happening up there.

Unfortunately compromises will always have to be made somewhere. The biggest one, IMO, is the fact you'll have to keep the same thickness as the stock face if you want to match the handle profile. Otherwise, getting the face closer to the VFD would be ideal. Also getting the lense closer to the front of the face. This would lessen he amount of VFD content obscured when viewing the empeg at an angle from the top left.

Bruno

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 30/04/2004 13:50

Stopped by today and had more adjustments made, machest wants to make all the button holes one big hole says it will save time, I am not keen on that idea what do you think?
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 30/04/2004 13:52

i would be extremely opposed to one big hole for the buttons
also, on the lower button, it looks like its just a triangle cut out. could he make it fit the button more?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 30/04/2004 14:11

The faceplate holds the buttons in place. You can't make it one big hole or the buttons will fall out.

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 30/04/2004 15:41

Was it Beaker's design?

I think so, does anybody still have the files? I can't find them anymore.
And has Beaker ever put the design into the public domain?
He's not around anymore, isn't he?

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 30/04/2004 15:48

There's nothing to count, yet...

About the Alpine-Knob, does anybody know the model of the Alpine-Unit, which uses the knob? I'd try to get one for testing. Unfortunately we have no qualified Alpine-Dealer here around, only big electronic-supermarkets, where every question in detail is doomed before asking...

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 30/04/2004 18:54

Looking back through Jets posts, I believe it was model CDA 7878. The knobs appear to be part number 36B40857Y01 for $US11.22 from Herman Panson or Pacific Coast but it appears that many of the Alpine players use similar knobs.

I believe that Sphengali had the CDA 7893.
Posted by: ctcsoft

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 30/04/2004 19:41

Anyone want to do a group buy on these knobs? Maybe save some $$ ??

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 30/04/2004 20:37

Umm, the buttons would fall out if there was one big hole for all of them. That wouldn't be a great idea. Is this person planning on machining this stuff by hand or something?

Bruno

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 30/04/2004 21:04

Yeah, the face holds the buttons in. Doesn't the face accomplish this by a slight change in hole width between the inside and outside of the face, having the outside (showing) be smaller? Then, the tiny jibs on the buttons lock in place with the smaller hole of the inside of the face. Isn't this how it works?

That's why I'm wondering: like someone else mentioned, the bottom hole looks triangle. How is it holding the button in place?

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 30/04/2004 21:07

Good point about "machining by hand". How were 303's faces done? I'm curious because they looked SO professionally created, as if cranked out by a real professional machine. I think that if a new face is going to be made, it needs to follow 303's lead. (but as you all know, I'm all talk, and since I'm not there cranking out models, I'll keep my yap shut for now)

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 01/05/2004 07:44

303 used CNC equipment - I'm guessing a milling machine was used hence the professional look. They weren't hand machined in any case.

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 01/05/2004 08:28

IIRC he never actually finished his design and the files were untested. I think I have some print outs of them somewhere that I could scan. He provided the files freely and its just a pity he doesn't seem to be about anymore.

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 01/05/2004 17:53

You don't need to scan them. They must be somewhere. If i only could remember the filename... (or had the time to do a better search job...)

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 01/05/2004 18:12

If some of you US-guys will group-buy the Alpine-Knobs, i'd like to get one, too. I will also look for a german source.

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 01/05/2004 18:47

File name? I believe it was New_Fascia_Step_Files.zip from here. Unfortunately the file was not archived. I do have the attached pictures. He did some very nice work with this.
Posted by: oliver

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 01/05/2004 18:53

gotta love exchange servers, i emailed the step files to a buddy of mine who does machining at his company (this was 2 years ago almost)

anyways, here is the zip, STEP format (2.51 MB)

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 01/05/2004 19:17

Mach, Oliver, thanks! You're great...

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 04/05/2004 17:45

Alternate knob? These are made by Kilo International and available through digikey. The indicator dot is just asking to be drilled out and filled with end glow fiber.

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 05/05/2004 07:01

Hey, they don't look bad. I'll check them out.

BTW, i was looking for the farnell-buttons, but can only find the black ones (3 different length).
Mach, do you have the part-numbers for the transparent ones?
Posted by: StigOE

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 05/05/2004 08:15

I'm not Mach, but here's the number for the transparent ones - 311-2457...

Stig

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 06/05/2004 02:23

Thanks, Stig...
It's a complete different Article-Description as by the black ones, that's why i didn't find them...

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 02/06/2004 21:45

Any news recently? From either front (replica or 303's source files)?

My player has yet to make it into my new car, but I wouldn't mind having the fascia(s) ready to go before I actually need them.

I should probably start hunting down a JL Audio 500/5 amp before the fascias come around and I have to eat my words.

Bruno
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 03/06/2004 04:34

Have you seen the thread in the For Sale section???
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 22/08/2004 21:57

Time to dig up this thread or make a new one, I would like to see this completed, all he needs is a few more interested people wanting a new face?
The latest thread is in the forsale section
Posted by: Glen_L

Re: Alpha version of my FACE (Looking for Feedback) - 23/08/2004 18:40

Provided all previous parties are still interested, I think we may have the required 25. I think we need a way to make a firm commitment rather than just a "me too" like the other thread. If belezeebub could set up a page (or even give a PayPal addy) we could send a down payment. This would help fund a final version of the face. I think a few good quality photos of the final version would in turn generate a lot more interest.