Napster to Go

Posted by: edsmiata

Napster to Go - 09/02/2005 12:11

I think i know the answer already (no), but will the new service offered by Napster provide downloads that will playback on the Empeg?
Posted by: peter

Re: Napster to Go - 09/02/2005 12:16

Quote:
I think i know the answer already (no), but will the new service offered by Napster provide downloads that will playback on the Empeg?

No. If this is the subscription thing, then Rio Carbon will be the first Rio product to get support, but even that hasn't been released yet.

Peter
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Napster to Go - 09/02/2005 12:26

Quote:

As far as I understand it, definately no, as they're DRM-encumbered (and the empeg doesn't support it) and will cease to be playable (even on platforms that has the support) if you end your prenumeration... That's how I've understood it from the coverage on /. and The Register...
Don't know if they'll allow burning to [audio]CD and thus be rerippable/reencodeable to standard (DRM-less) mp3 format. which of course leaves things like TotalRecorder or a soundcard Out->In wire... Still, all of course means quality losses due to the reencoding.

Unless someone breaks the DRM system used - and dares distribute it...

Re: Napster to Go - 09/02/2005 12:56

what is this DRM..i am not that fluent in all this coding
Posted by: Roger

Re: Napster to Go - 09/02/2005 13:04

Quote:
what is this DRM..i am not that fluent in all this coding

DRM = Digital Rights Management. It's a way to enforce the publisher's rights, while depriving you of any.

Re: Napster to Go - 09/02/2005 13:12

ahhh...kinda like WMA files...although Microsoft allows you to remove the liscence
Posted by: tman

Re: Napster to Go - 09/02/2005 13:14

WMA is a file format like MP3. The difference is that WMA has got support for DRM actually in the format. MP3 doesn't however.
Posted by: tman

Re: Napster to Go - 09/02/2005 13:14

Or more accurately Digital Restrictions Management
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Napster to Go - 09/02/2005 15:37

Quote:
Unless someone breaks the DRM system used - and dares distribute it...

That's not an "if", that's a "when".
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Napster to Go - 09/02/2005 19:51

The problem I had with napster to go was that there are no decent players available that support it. I tried using one of the portable media center type of devices but it stunk.

Hurry up with the Carbon support
Posted by: ashmoore

Re: Napster to Go - 14/02/2005 16:36

Since being pointed to allofmp3, I have found little reason to look elsewhere. iTunes is so expensive, it is cheaper to buy the cd and get a decent quality rip, especially if I get the CD from Amazon secondhand.