Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos

Posted by: FireFox31

Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 22/03/2005 18:33

For my 1,000th post, I'm proud to reveal the first pre-production samples for the lit button project. These samples indicate that the metal molds are complete and that production can begin once I approve the parts. Within a few weeks, you all can finally have the lit buttons you've been waiting for.

But samples for free? Yeah, I'll get to that in a bit.

The samples are functionally perfect, which isn't bad on the first try. I will work with my molding company to improve some of the small flaws in appearance. Please point out anything you notice or have questions about incase I missed it in my initial review.

Here are the clear buttons, shown with factory blue lens, at brightness 3, 5, and 5 with lights on:

Yes, the right button is missing because it wouldn't eject from the mold. That is being fixed and I'll have them in a second round of sampling (if I do that). Oh, and I need a MKII to test the knob against (the one I borrowed from a friend couldn't work). Does anyone have an old dead MKII encoder shaft they could lend me?

But what's that about "FREE" in the subject? Well, I have all these samples and nothing to do with them:

These are "Crystal Sets", a low cost way to modify, hack, customize, and enhance lit buttons. Want purple or milky buttons? Hack a Crystal Set. Want end-glow rods or multiple colors? Hack a Crystal Set. Options are endless.

My offer is to enlist the skilled plastics modifiers from this board to creatively hack these first Crystal Sets. I've only thought up a few hacks for these, so I want to see what the best of you can do. I'll send you free parts with the condition that you creatively modify them and share pictures with the rest of us, ultimately to be displayed on the lit button website gallery.

These are rough samples and there isn't even a complete set. But if you want an early shot at playing with these, here's your chance. I will hopefully do a second round of sampling, yielding more complete sets to offer you modifiers out there, but this is a start. Oh, and the MKIIa knobs are REALLY nice, and I happen to have a bunch of them.

So post here or PM me if you've got the skill and want to try hacking these Crystal Buttons into something more interesting. Let me know where to mail these (international included; I'll give it a shot) and I'll send them out.

Ok everyone, stay tuned for either round two of sampling or final production, whichever comes first. Thanks for hanging in there ALL this time; the project is finally coming to completion.
Posted by: belezeebub

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 22/03/2005 19:03

Jot down my name for a set of buttons when you get them made.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 22/03/2005 19:06

Congratulations!

Here's hoping the curse is finally lifted.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 22/03/2005 19:50

Very exciting! I'll definitly be in for a set when the time comes. I'd request a beta set, but I'm afraid I'm without lit buttons at the moment, and I have no experience modifying plastics. (Hmmm. I was thinking about stopping by jameco on the way home, perhaps the first part could be rectified...)

Matthew
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 22/03/2005 21:15

I am not a plastic modifier, but those are REALLY nice!!! Excellent work!!!
Posted by: Mach

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 22/03/2005 22:12

Wow congratulations! Nicely done, those have serious dremel potential. What are they made of? Resin or some other low melting point plastic? Will clear be an option in the final production run?

If you have an extra set, I'd like to try a couple of things. PM on it's way.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 22/03/2005 23:10

The parts are made of clear polycarbonate, which was also used for the originals, I think. They are very sturdy and apparently have good thermal tolerances.

The colors are: red, blue, green, amber, smoke, clear, and solid non-translucent black. Clear and black will cost less, since they are easier to make, and to allow for guilt-free modifications.

A note, though: The knobs are VERY tight. I have taken the MKIIa knob on and off my player a few times and it seems to have loosened, but it's still really tight. It will be very hard to make the shaft bigger in the mold, so I'm inclined to leave it over-tight. Two slots could always be cut into the shaft (like the original) to let it expand, and the spring could be uses to hold that together. I think it will work out.

And the MKII knobs seem over-tight also, but I don't (yet) have an MKII to test them on. I'll try to retrieve the encoder I lent my molders.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 23/03/2005 13:49

Tight is Good.

A little bit of soapy film on them makes for easier attachment.

Cheers
Posted by: Snowshoe

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 23/03/2005 21:38

Hell I'll try them out & tinker w/them. How do I go about getting them? And I have a Mk2 & an Mk2a if you can send one for each to try out the knobs on, however the Mk2 only has light kit on it.
PM me on the details please.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 24/03/2005 01:29

At this point, I only have a few MKII and MKIIa knobs left. I didn't receive too many parts from my molders, so I'm sending people a few parts each.

If you want a knob (which look pretty awesome, in my opinion), post here or PM me, noting either MKII or MKIIa.

I found out today that these parts are more "beta" than I thought. A more finalized batch of samples is forthcoming, so feel free to torture the ones you get. Watch here for info when they're ready. Untill then, get these knobs that I have.
Posted by: simspos

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 24/03/2005 14:50

Looking forward to the production run on these. Keep up the excellent work

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 25/03/2005 11:57

Only 2 MKII knobs left right now. I will have one or two more sample runs coming in during the next few weeks. We have to test texture then final appearance, and hopefully test the red sets to get them dark enough to match the lens.

Thanks again for your interest. All button requests have been sent. More to come soon.
Posted by: burdell1

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 26/03/2005 11:44

if you ever have any more...i would love some...thanks!!
Posted by: TerryMathews

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 27/03/2005 05:09

If you ever do another run, I'd love to have a set to experiment with...

And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 29/03/2005 17:59

Oh my, look what the postman brought. Warming up the dremel

Is polycarbonate harmed by UV?

Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 29/03/2005 19:24

Quote:

No. It's the same stuff good sunglass lenses are made from. It's absurdly resistant to chemical attacks to boot.

-Zeke
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 29/03/2005 20:55

Do you have the UV lighted button kit? I'm ordering a button kit soon and saw the UV option at Eutronix.

Re: And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 29/03/2005 21:03

Yes, they're UV. They still freak me out a little and I try to make sure they've always got button caps on them of some sort. Rob S wound up with "welder's flash" when he installed them. Ack!

Re: And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 29/03/2005 23:07

Quote:

Apparently it loses the ability to stop bullets after two years of exposure to the sun, and needs constant replacing in that application. Or so they say.

Knobs should be fine, I would think! Let us know.

Re: And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 30/03/2005 01:02

Do you recommend them?
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 30/03/2005 03:32

Quote:
Quote:

Apparently it loses the ability to stop bullets after two years of exposure to the sun, and needs constant replacing in that application. Or so they say.

Replacing the knob ever couple of years is worth it, though... just think -- that knob protects the precious display nipple from frontal bullet assaults!
Posted by: andy

Re: And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 30/03/2005 03:49

Quote:

Replacing the knob ever couple of years is worth it, though... just think -- that knob protects the precious display nipple from frontal bullet assaults!

I've seen the Mythbusters "bullet proof glass" episode, I think you need a bigger knob...

Re: And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 30/03/2005 10:17

I'm hoping that adding UV-reactive material to the inside (or outside?) of the buttons/knobs will give them a very even and distributed glow. Thanks for the pictures, Mach, that purple glow is really nice.

Re: And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 30/03/2005 19:08

Quote:
I think you need a bigger knob...

No need to get personal!

Re: And you shall be known as Curse-Breaker! - 30/03/2005 20:08

Yes, I recommend them if you like to tweak your player. Otherwise stick with the white LEDs or other colors.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 04/04/2005 07:51

I'll have to get some pics up - I have used just the clear knob and top button, and dremelled the other 3 original buttons, and it all looks pretty nifty.

Along with emphatic, it is a very classy setup for nighttime driving.

Many thanks

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 11/04/2005 14:12

Hey all, I received a second run of samples this morning. This time they are red to test that difficult color. I didn't receive enough to distribute, but it is the final step before production. Watch for some pictures posted here tonight.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 12/04/2005 03:49

Here's a photo of the pre-production red samples that I received today. Red is tricky because the Filener lens is so dark, but I think you'll agree that this looks downright mean:

Shown top to bottom: brightness 3, brightness 5, brightness 5 with no flash, lights off no flash. All with Filener flat red lens.

The samples have a few weird issues that did not show up last time. And the molders probably already know about them and know how to fix them, just like last time.

Now, once I work out a few showstopper fractional millimeter issues, these are ready for production. I'm excited, are you? I hope so. Stay tuned.
Posted by: tman

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 12/04/2005 10:20

On the pic with lights off and flash, the left button has a bulge? Is that normal? Apart from that, all looking good!
Posted by: mrfixit

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 12/04/2005 13:29

Well I got a knob pcb from Stu the other day (very nice by the way) I assembled it that night but didn't get a chance to install it into the empeg untill last night...along with a FireFox31 knob I put a blue filter behind it for the color. The lens is really green one from FiIener I'm not shure why it looks like a smoke one in the pic. I made the buttons myself with my dremel and some clear silicone... and blue filters over the leds, this way I can change the color when I get tired of it.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 12/04/2005 15:45

tman, thanks for noticing that. No, that is not normal and is probably a side effect of my molder "packing out the parts" (adding more plastic to decrease shrinkage and reduce "sink" (dimples caused from over-shrinkage of thick wall sections)). I let them know about it, but they likely already know because they're good about that. The MKII knob, however, does have an addition that may not work, but I'll have to test that tonight.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 12/04/2005 15:45

You've misspelled "Oates".

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 12/04/2005 15:49

Nice lighting kit install. Hey, those buttons are pretty cool. Did you put a blue filter behind the knob as well because it really shines!

After seeing the red parts, I think the blue parts (and other colors) will thankfully be less translucent than the clear parts. But, if you want them really bright, maybe clear + filters is the way to go. Nice work.
Posted by: mrfixit

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 12/04/2005 19:02

Quote:
You've misspelled "Oates".
LOL... I didn't notice that until you said somthing...I think that mp3 was named automatically from the net, possibly from freedb or one of those, I will have to correct that . And yes that is a blue filter behind the knob and the buttons, it is just the standard gel plastic that I cut to fit over the shaft. The filters on the button leds are the kind you would find in old car stereos covering the incandescent bulbs.
Posted by: Mataglap

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 13/04/2005 23:52

mrfixit and Mach:

Nice buttons! You're really making me want to try some stuff out myself.

--Nathan

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 16/04/2005 20:22

Here are photos of the (unexpected) second batch of red samples I received today. The texture is better, the light diffusion is smoother, the bottom button is fixed, and the knob height was extended 1mm (against my previous decision).

The red buttons look good with brightness at max, though their color matches much better than the photo shows. Since it was a beautiful day out, I got a very accurate natural-light photo.

Now to just wait a week or two for production, then it's open season on lit buttons. Let's keep the curse at bay for just a little longer!!

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 16/04/2005 22:17

How many colors are you going to do?

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 17/04/2005 00:00

7 colors:
Red - translucent, matching Filener flat red lens
Blue - translucent, matching original factory blue lens
Smoke - translucent, true gray unlike smoked VFD gray
Amber - translucent, matching Filener raised amber lens
Green - translucent, matching Filener flat green lens
Clear - translucent, shows your LED color or your custom button modification
Black - NOT translucent, matching fascia (hopefully)

I will experiment with modifications and may offer additional customized colors. First attempt will be translucent milky white paint and second will be end-glow fiber flourescent colors. No limit to customization potential.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 21/05/2005 00:01

For my 1100th post, and 11 months to the day since this project was started, I'm pleased to announce that the production run of lit buttons is complete and will be in my hands, at the latest, by June 1st.

You may want to get your Eutronix lighting kit and have it installed to avoid any rush once the buttons go on sale. Or, you could wait for the buttons to be officially on sale to be sure the curse is broken before investing in lights. Either way, I'll announce the release in a new thread on the BBS.

Oh, and did any of the button beta tester plastics modders get a chance to hack up those saddly incomplete sets I mailed out? Post some pics if you'd like. For all your hacking enjoyment, the full sets will be out soon enough.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 21/05/2005 02:40

Awesome.

I know everyone here is very grateful for what you've done after the troubles the other guys had trying to get illuminated buttons. I really can't wait.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 21/05/2005 09:51

It ain't over 'till the fat plastic blinks..

I'm not getting any hopes up until somebody actually has working good buttons installed in a player.

Cheers

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 27/05/2005 03:34

More details soon.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 27/05/2005 07:27

You tease!!!!!
Posted by: Daria

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 27/05/2005 13:38

I guess if I get a unit modded I can at the same time have the unhappy unit which may have a badly soldered pin on the IDE header and whose display is out despite no obvious nipple damage repaired at the same time.

Trying to use an empeg with a dead remote battery and no display is hard. Using the radio is harder. When "Radio Disney" came on, well, I knew I was at the low end of the AM dial, but I never did manage to switch to FM and tune.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 27/05/2005 14:08

Speaking of "dead" remote batteries..

I've been having some trouble recently with remotes failing to work, or working only intermittently, even with new batteries.

Turns out the spring contact for the bottom side of the battery is losing it's "spring" in my remotes.. so I've stuffed a small wad of paper under that spring contact and then reinserted the battery. Seems to fix it in all three remotes here that had the problem.

Cheers

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 27/05/2005 14:21

Quote:
Turns out the spring contact for the bottom side of the battery is losing it's "spring" in my remotes.. so I've stuffed a small wad of paper under that spring contact and then reinserted the battery. Seems to fix it in all three remotes here that had the problem.

Ah cool. I remember ages ago you posted about repairing another remote by drilling a hole in the back and bending the contact. The paper method sounds a lot easier.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 27/05/2005 15:40

I'm not the tease, I'm *being* teased; by those boxes which arrived at my house yesterday. Here I am stuck at work unable to open them and see what's inside.

Well, except for the box labeled "Green" which I tore into, dug through, and retrieved the objects which I've waited for almost a year and a half now (noted in my ever-changing signature). After a little more legwork, we'll all get to see what's in those boxes!

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 27/05/2005 16:18

Yeah, the remote that I drilled into was the only one here still working perfectly before the round of paper wadding to the others!

Cheers
Posted by: peakmop

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 28/05/2005 00:00

A year and a half, that's all?
Let's see what it takes for metal/aluminum/alloy/bronze/whatever
buttons to see the daylight

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 28/05/2005 01:11

No no no, I was on the project only 11 months. The "year and a half" roughly includes the previous effort, which is when buttons first caught my attention. My research shows buttons haven't been available for about 2.5 years now.

The metal buttons should be simple. I would have had them months ago if I actually worked on the project. I'm stuck on one easy step for one stupid reason. Once the lit button system is stable, I'll crank out those aluminum buttons in no time. Now... if only the color on these buttons would photograph accurately....

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 28/05/2005 01:16

The colour is easy to photograph, requiring the same technique as for anything else where colour matters. First, shoot a "custom white balance" from a blank sheet of paper in exactly the same position/lighting as the empeg will be placed. Then set the camera to use the custom white balance, and replace the blank sheet with the empeg + lit buttons.

Works for me tout les temps.

Cheers

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 30/05/2005 16:51

I just ordered my lighting kit and have arranged for install of that and the memory board.
Posted by: Bagpuss

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 02/06/2005 17:09

So, how do I actually order a set of blue buttons?

Bagpuss.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 02/06/2005 17:34

Quote:
So, how do I actually order a set of blue buttons?

Don't think you can yet. Brad was refering to the LED lighting kit which you need to get from Eutronix. Coloured buttons aren't very useful without it

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 04/06/2005 01:28

Hm, actually the colored buttons look kind of cool when unlit. My favorite is amber buttons with the Filener raised orange lens.

You will soon be able to order buttons from my website. I'm still finishing it now, slaving endlessly to get good photographs of these buttons. The lighting in my entire house is too yellow and too dark, so I'm trying everything I can to take photos that actually represent these parts.

I'm really sorry for the delay. Hopefully I can be finished this weekend, test the ordering system and database early in the week, than be up and running by the end of the week. Any more delay is just silly. Keep an eye out for the announcement.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 04/06/2005 09:45

Quote:
Hm, actually the colored buttons look kind of cool when unlit. My favorite is amber buttons with the Filener raised orange lens.

Ah. Not got any buttons at all so just going from the photos which make them just look black.

Quote:
The lighting in my entire house is too yellow and too dark, so I'm trying everything I can to take photos that actually represent these parts.

Take the pictures outside during the day?

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 07/06/2005 05:15

Quote:
The lighting in my entire house is too yellow and too dark

Sounds like you need to switch to GE's Reveal bulbs. What a fantastic difference they make in lighting, over regular bulbs. I made the switch about a year ago, after feeling really depressed. I bought enough bulbs to do one room as a trial run, and two days later, I got so upset over the craptastic lights in the rest of the apartment (I literally couldn't stand to be in the place, anymore) that I went out to the store at 1am, and bought the bulbs to finish the switch. I took them all with me when I moved, too.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 08/06/2005 02:26

Woah! I honestly think these lights have a similar effect on my after-work moods. Though my trusty GE Watt-Miser 65 watt flood lights have been running for probably over 4 years, there is something very dark about them. I often hold an object directly under the light and still "can't see" it. I'll try the Reveals.

Now, I just need to finish the nagging details of my website and I can get these buttons up for sale. Shipping and tax calculations, customer database for invoice and shipping label printing, buying the domain name?, and the pesky attempt to hide my e-mail address from spammers yet still allow you all to contact me.

This week, I told myself, I'll have it done.
Posted by: JeffreyB

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 08/06/2005 10:55

One way I hide my email address is to create a simple Flash button that links to my email address. There's no way a bot can harvest it when embedded in flash...

JeffreyB

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 08/06/2005 11:16

Quote:
There's no way a bot can harvest it when embedded in flash...

Not necessarily, spam harvester bots are very advanced these days. You can decompile flash so it's not impossible. Some of the bots have a Java & Javascript engine built into them. Most of them understand the blahNOSPAM at blah dot com stuff as well.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 08/06/2005 15:30

I found ways to use a CGI script to mail me the contents of an HTML input form, but I don't have CGI access on the server I'm using.

Is there no way to hide the e-mail address using pure HTML forms... or Server Side Includes or something else really simple that my free webspace could handle?

I realllly don't feel like getting spammed at my shiny new business addresses.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 08/06/2005 16:17

Is $40 too much to pay for a year of hosting on a very decent web server? Where you can make whatever email addresses you want, at whim. Each with IMAP, POP3 and WebMail access, plus optional forwards, auto-responders and server-side spam filtering... Supports all the current web goodies; PHP, PERL, MySQL (you can have 2 databases), multiple domain parking on the same site, sub-domain creation, etc... Fairly nice control panel too.

If you're going to register or buy a domain name, you should really dump the idea of running on a free feature-less host.

You can (should) use NMS Formmail (or other "secure") method to have people contact you. Don't use MSA (Matt's) Formmail. Otherwise you can put up a graphic image with low-contrast distortions and your email address written within it and let people copy out your email address by hand.

If you can click (a link) and have it pop the email address into an email client, then it's of no use to stop spam.

Bruno
Posted by: webroach

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 08/06/2005 16:18

Is there any reason you can't just use an image of your email address?

I understand that we all want things easy, but are we really at the point where manually typing in an email address into our mail client is too much work?

Here's one possible solution using the image idea.

EDIT: Argh! Beaten by Bruno!
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 08/06/2005 18:37

You have to have something more than HTML forms and SSI in order to send an email at all, regardless of hiding your email address, other than having a mailto: link, which must obviously include your email address.

If you don't have CGI access, what kind of services do you have?

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 09/06/2005 01:22

$40 a year for all of those goodies? Which reliable trustworthy webhost offers that good deal? The only services I quickly looked at were $10/month, which isn't much, but it's a little nag.

Yes, I have been using images for e-mail addresses. I just wanted to jazz up the main Contact page with some "secure" form (using the premade CGI mail script provided with my webspace). Ah, it was a silly idea.

I wasn't going to buy the domain name because it's being squatted. Instead, just host it off my ISP space. Lame, but easy. I'll try for that domain name. But all of the sudden, I have no time. This is odd.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 10/06/2005 03:49

Check out http://www.ICDSoft.com

Their normal price is $60 per year, but as I'm an existing customer I can get someone else hosting for $40/year. I just renewed my hosting package and got a further discount when paying for two years: $75. I've already been with them for two years and they just recently increased their basic-level storage and bandwidth limits too (that was a nice surprise to see when accessing my control panel).

Contact me via PM if you need any more details. I can set it up for you if you'd like and then you can just pay me via PayPal.
Bruno

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 10/06/2005 23:23

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out! I haven't recovered the domain name(s) from the squatters yet, so I may just launch it on my ISP space for now. Eh, I can switch it later, keeping a forwarding link. Most important thing is to get these buttons out to you all, regardless if the site looks pretty. It's almost done; this weekend!
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 10/06/2005 23:32

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out! I haven't recovered the domain name(s) from the squatters yet, so I may just launch it on my ISP space for now. Eh, I can switch it later, keeping a forwarding link. Most important thing is to get these buttons out to you all, regardless if the site looks pretty. It's almost done; this weekend!

I'm betting a post with where to paypal the money to and some pictures would be good enough

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 12/06/2005 12:25

It took me too long to get around to it but here's the results of a couple afternoons playing around.

I first tried making button caps out of PMC3 silvery clay but when they're fired they shrink about 20% so that didn't work out as planned. (top left pic) The I tried aluminum embossing foil to make a button cap that would allow light through the side but not the center. (lower left pic). It was too fragile but captured the idea of what I'd like to have in a button cap so I may revisit the idea with some PMC. I'd like to have button cage that matches the wheels on my car.

The last try was based on the idea of embedding fiber optic rod in the knob. (pics right) I drilled out the knob "bumps", inserted pieces of fiber rod, glued them in with white hot glue, and ground down the rod sticking out the front followed by sanding and polishing. I was pleased with how well the polycarbonate sands. I'd like to try doing the same thing with thinner rod. The purple that you see is light from the UV leds. The center is a silver insert from the failed PMC knob that I ground to size.

Thanks for the chance to play with these FireFox.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 12/06/2005 15:21

Woooooooah. Thanks for the pics, those are some clever hacks. You really make the fiber optic shine, and the PMC silver clay looks very promising. I wonder if the area to be covered with PMC could be carefully etched out with a Dremel so the PMC could recess into it. Might help hold it in place.

Now, if only I could get my Dremel back from being on loan, I could try the ideas brewing in my head. But first, back to work on the website.
Posted by: JrFaust

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 15/06/2005 15:56

Cool I’m glad to hear the buttons are almost ready can't wait to get a blue set on my Empeg. Sadly I wrecked my car so it’ll be a while before I can show it off to my friends. Oh it wasn’t a bad wreck no one was hurt, it was just stupid less than a 20mpr hit. The air-bags going off caused my car to be a total loss, bummer.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 15/06/2005 22:02

The announcement happens Monday 6/20/05. That's when the website goes final, the URL is posted, and orders are accepted. Thanks for your patience everyone, the end is in sight.

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 16/06/2005 04:52

Quote:
the end is in sight.

And then Barbossa shows up, snatching the beautiful Elizabeth from your grasp! His dagger at her throat, he demands you hand over all the buttons!

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 16/06/2005 10:18

Quote:
he demands you hand over all the buttons!

Just then, I claim the right of parlay... to buy myself some time until the plunder on Monday...

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 16/06/2005 13:16

Damn the man who came up with parlay!

Re: Buttons - FREE pre-production samples, and photos - 20/06/2005 02:00

It was a Frenchman.

Now let's get those black buttons up for sale already. Hmmm.. You know what would go really well with some new black buttons? A black aluminum fascia....

Bruno