MP3 Websites

Posted by: edsmiata

MP3 Websites - 22/09/2005 15:45

I am looking for a good website for downloading mp3's, and i dont mind having to pay for them. Rhapsody will just let u burn to a cd, so that's out, unless somebody in the group figured out how to convert them.

please let me know!

Ed
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: MP3 Websites - 22/09/2005 16:11

There's allofmp3.com they have a deent selection and you can choose all kinds of differnt formats you want your music in and quality

Re: MP3 Websites - 22/09/2005 17:00

Just went to the site....seems fairly simple to use..thanks!

Re: MP3 Websites - 22/09/2005 17:54

it says that this website is run out of russia...is that right????

have u given them any information for use of the site?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: MP3 Websites - 22/09/2005 17:58

Yes, the site is from Russia. There have been discussions on this BBS before about a) its questionable legality and the various steps the site owners have taken to try to legitimize it, b) its quality and reliability, and c) subscribers' satisfaction with the money side of the transaction.

Generally, the feeling I got on those three question were, that a) it's in sort of a legal gray area still, although it's been around for years and it's still operating so they must be doing something right, and everyone here who subscribes to it is happy with b and c.

Re: MP3 Websites - 22/09/2005 18:21

Thanks Tony...was a bit uneasy about giving out cc info
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: MP3 Websites - 22/09/2005 19:09

Yeah, it freaked me out the first time I saw the charge in Rubles on my Visa, but even with the lousy Visa exchange rate, it's still only a few cents a track. I've added funds to my account several times now and have no complaints or reports of dishonesty or shadiness.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: MP3 Websites - 22/09/2005 19:50

Doesn't it go through paypal? It used to.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: MP3 Websites - 22/09/2005 21:15

Quote:
Doesn't it go through paypal? It used to.

It is "temporarily unavailable" for quite some time. Anyway, I had no problems with paying several times directly using my MC.

Re: MP3 Websites - 23/09/2005 15:36

thanks for the feedback guys!
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: MP3 Websites - 23/09/2005 18:47

Yea I have used it for a while and have had no issues with using my cc either..
Posted by: Foz

Re: MP3 Websites - 27/09/2005 15:53

I'm VERY happy with allofmp3.com but I don't use my credit card directly. I use my credit card to buy an xrost shopping card, then I use the xrost card to fund my allofmp3.com account. That way I get something like a 10% bonus to my balance.

I've never had a single problem, issue, or complaint with them.

-- Gary F.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: MP3 Websites - 27/09/2005 16:11

Yeah, ditto with my allofmp3 experience. very positive. And every time I see the RIAA desperately going after 13 year old kids in court I convert more and more of my CD purchasing dollars into allofmp3 downloading dollars.
Posted by: SteveG_CA

Re: MP3 Websites - 06/01/2006 21:21

Just checking out the allofmp3 site....looks good and they seem to have lots of my favs
Posted by: SteveG_CA

Re: MP3 Websites - 07/01/2006 01:50

They even have a decent downloadable desktop app to work with

Posted by: frog51

Re: MP3 Websites - 07/01/2006 08:35

allofmp3 are pretty much on the white side of grey - two attempts by RIAA equivalents were decided in favour of allofmp3 in court, which pretty much settles things as far as precedent goes.

So far I have downloaded about 1800 tracks from there - very quick and easy.
Posted by: furtive

Re: MP3 Websites - 07/01/2006 10:40

This is the first time I've heard of allofmp3, but I've been playing with it this morning and it is awesome.

I may never buy a CD again.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: MP3 Websites - 08/01/2006 01:28

Heh, I think is was first mentioned here by Rob Riccardelli some three years ago. I left almost $300 with them over the years...
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: MP3 Websites - 13/02/2006 17:47

allofmp3 made the headlines on CNN Money today. Apparently, the International Intellectual Property Alliance (IIPA) has labeled Russia as the worst piracy offender and that ...

Quote:
Russian pirates freely operate "some of the world's most open and notorious websites selling unauthorized materials such as www.allofmp3.com," the IIPA said. The Web site, which lists thousands of artists, sells singles for as little as 8 or 9 cents and complete albums for under $2.

I guess someone is not happy with them...

Re: MP3 Websites - 13/02/2006 19:24

See the amusing thing is that (according to a lawyer friend of mine) they are not breaking the law due to the wonders of the Russian copyright rules
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: MP3 Websites - 13/02/2006 20:08

And apparently, according to US copyright law, US citizens are allowed to import music without having to reimburse the artist/publisher. Same with Canada. Not sure about elsewhere.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 03:03

That amazes me. Unless they're selling the latest hit single from Dimitri Shostakovich, I don't see how Russian rule applies to non-Russian goods.
Posted by: webroach

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 05:02

Quote:
I don't see how Russian rule applies to non-Russian goods.

The same way it's illegal for me to have the French DVD of Kafka here in America.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 05:39

Do you think that the Russians can only buy Beatles records from ordering them from London? They are copyrighted materials there, too, with a licensing organization. And there are international copyright treaties, most prominently, the Berne Convention.
Posted by: Cris

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 09:04

Quote:
See the amusing thing is that (according to a lawyer friend of mine) they are not breaking the law due to the wonders of the Russian copyright rules

So would I be breaking the law if I "import" these files from Russia to my machine in the UK for use there?

The way I see it I would be fine if I were in Russia, but would have to meet the required laws for use here in the UK. Their website doesn't inspire confidence on this issue...

The user bears sole responsibility for any use and distribution of all materials received from AllOFMP3.com. This responsibility is dependent on the national legislation in each user's country of residence. The Administration of AllOFMP3.com does not possess information on the laws of each particular country and is not responsible for the actions of foreign users.

I am confused. I'm not bothered about downloading music myself, I think the record companies and the artists seem to be doing just fine. I think the free downloading of music will increase sales over time, I now I listen and buy more music than I ever have, I also go to see more of those bands live than I ever have. (Just bagged 2 front row tickets for Mark Knopfler at Manchester WOO HOO!).

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: andym

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 11:30

Quote:
(Just bagged 2 front row tickets for Mark Knopfler at Manchester WOO HOO!)

You're not taking SWMBO are you? Never pictured her as a Dire Straits fan....
Posted by: mlord

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 12:15

Quote:
That amazes me. Unless they're selling the latest hit single from Dimitri Shostakovich, I don't see how Russian rule applies to non-Russian goods.

What another nation does within its own borders is subject to its own laws, not those of some other random country.

Cheers
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 14:40

Quote:
Quote:

What another nation does within its own borders is subject to its own laws, not those of some other random country.

Cheers

This normally would have been handled as the goods crossed borders but with the internet the law has been slow to change. (?)
Posted by: Cris

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 16:14

Quote:
You're not taking SWMBO are you? Never pictured her as a Dire Straits fan....

Yes I am, and no she isn't

But I can't imagine a better way to bring her round to my way of thinking. When I saw the tickets up on the pre-sale I grabbed them so I only paid face value for them, last I saw they were going for £250 on eBay

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: webroach

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 16:14

Quote:

Based on that statement alone, I'd vote for you for president of the US, if you'd take the job.

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 16:18

Quote:
But I can't imagine a better way to bring her round to my way of thinking.

Tried that with Tori Amos once. Didn't work.
Posted by: mlord

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 16:41

Quote:
if you'd take the job.

Like Arnie, I don't qualify either!

Cheers
Posted by: boxer

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 17:57

Quote:
Yes I am, and no she isn't

Oh well, not worth wasting the money on her...shall we meet outside?...No, now I come to think of it, I'm not much of a Dire S fan either!
Posted by: Robotic

Re: MP3 Websites - 15/02/2006 20:00

Quote:
Quote:
But I can't imagine a better way to bring her round to my way of thinking.

Tried that with Tori Amos once. Didn't work.

You took Tori Amos to a Dire Straits concert?

Awesome!

Re: MP3 Websites - 16/02/2006 07:41

Wipes vanilla latte off keyboard...

Re: MP3 Websites - 16/02/2006 10:41

Quote:

Oh, I wish, I wish.
Posted by: boxer

Re: MP3 Websites - 16/02/2006 11:26

Quote:

Awesome!

Thanks for that, it brightened up my morning, I was still chuckling to myself at lunchtime1
Posted by: andy

Re: MP3 Websites - 16/02/2006 13:00

Quote:
Quote:

Oh, I wish, I wish.

Does she always spend the whole evening perched on the very edge of her piano stool squirming ?

I saw her for $10 in Sheffield (England) before she got properly famous. The squirming was a very memorable part of the show...
Posted by: Geoff

Re: MP3 Websites - 16/02/2006 14:38

Quote:
The squirming was a very memorable part of the show...

Ditto, only it was Belfast, sometime round about 1990/91. The squirming certainly got my attention!
Posted by: andy

Re: MP3 Websites - 16/02/2006 14:39

Quote:

Ditto, only it was Belfast, sometime round about 1990/91.

That was probably the same tour as I saw.

Re: MP3 Websites - 16/02/2006 16:50

Quote:
Does she always spend the whole evening perched on the very edge of her piano stool squirming ?

Yes.