Comments field in your ID3 tag?

Posted by: nikko

Comments field in your ID3 tag? - 12/03/2002 22:42

Sorta a question and a poll at the same time I guess. I'm just wondering what clever uses you fellas might have come up with for the Comments field in the ID3 tag. I'm a little stumped as to how to make use of it. What'd you guys come up with?
Posted by: loren

Re: Comments field in your ID3 tag? - 12/03/2002 22:48

I use it for record label info, and if it's available, the number of the release on the label. Like:

"Asian Man Records #15"

Posted by: tfabris

Re: Comments field in your ID3 tag? - 12/03/2002 22:50

There's nothing that the empeg player software does with the comment field, so there's nothing really clever you CAN do with it.

It's truncated to something like 240 bytes when dropped into emplode, so you can't do things like store lyrics or any other long text in it, so it's useless in that respect.

I posted an idea in the programming forum that we might be able to use it as a way to signal Hijack to pick an EQ preset or a specific visual on a per-song basis, but that idea hasn't gone anywhere.
Posted by: nikko

Re: Comments field in your ID3 tag? - 12/03/2002 23:07

I see. I was just thinking that maybe it could be used as a secondary style of organizing playlists or whatever. Sorta like the year or genre labels. Are those stored by the Empeg? I don't have mine installed in my car yet.

Re: Comments field in your ID3 tag? - 12/03/2002 23:24

actually, that's exactly how i use it. If i want to see all the bands on Nitro Records or whatever, i just sort by the comments column. Not exactly what your saying i don't think... but it's been useful to me in emplode. So Tony, i wouldn't say it's THAT useless. Plus it shows up in the Details view, so you can store nifty stuff in there if you want.
Posted by: davec

Re: Comments field in your ID3 tag? - 13/03/2002 12:49

I use mine on live bootleg recordings of artists I have (mainly Eric Clapton). I include the venue, date, and members of the band for that show...

Re: Comments field in your ID3 tag? - 13/03/2002 12:58

i do the same for live stuff. Comes in handy =]