Home Docking Stations: US$125

Posted by: mlord

Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 13:38

For Sale (someday): Home docking stations designed to sit on a desktop or act as a "stereo component" box for the Rio/Empeg Car player.

Okay, these don't exist yet. But I'm making a prototype, and everything looks nicely "doable". Here's what it consists of:

-- the docking cabinet, rectangular in shape, measuring approximately 8"x8"x3" externally, made from MDF (medium density fibreboard), with laminate wear strips on which the Empeg slides in/out.

-- a standard (car) docking connector, mounted within the cabinet.

-- a 6' ethernet cable connected through the rear of the cabinet, with docking connection to the player. Yes, this is short, but can easily be extended to whatever length is needed by the owner, using an RJ-45 coupler.

-- RCA phono jacks for Left/Right output mounted on the rear of the cabinet, connected through the (car) docking connector.

-- a female inline power adaptor connector on a 12" cord from the rear of the cabinet, designed to connect externally to a standard Empeg 12V AC adaptor. Internally, this connects through the (car) docking connector. An unmodified unit will think it is "in the car". Hijack will be enhanced to allow auto-selection between car/home based on the external "mute" input at power-up (optional, can be disabled). Alternatively, a short AC adaptor style plug could be implanted within the cabinet to fool the firmware into believing it is running on AC power (doesn't actually need to be connected to anything).

-- four rubber feet on the bottom of the cabinet.

I plan to offer this fully assembled as follows:

--> US$125 sanded but unfinished MDF -- paint it your favorite colour(s).

--> US$50 extra for attractive wood veneer (a variety of choices available, including birds eye maple/birch, and others) applied to the four primary external surfaces (top, sides, bottom), with a shellac or varnish protective finish coat applied.

For now, I'm building a few for my own units to rest in when not in the cars. If enough genuine interest is seen, I'll run production batches of 5-10 at a time to fill orders.

For now, do NOT send me money, but rather just post here whether you would or would not buy one (or two or ..).

Cheers
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 13:47

I'd probably buy one (I'd have to see a sample first, of course), but wouldn't it make more sense to have an ethernet jack on the back rather than a cord hanging out? Or am I misunderstanding?
Posted by: ricin

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 13:49

Sounds good. Count me in for at least one. How much is shipping something like that going to run?

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 13:50

Yeah, a jack would be tidier, but it would also increase the cost (parts and labour) by perhaps another $5-$10 or so. I'm trying to keep this thing simple enough that it ends up significantly cheaper than most/all other options.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 13:52

Mmm.. shipping?

Well, it's a very rugged unit, and should easily survive the post office. Postage for a parcel this size would likely be in the range of US$10-$20, depending on timeliness. I'll have to check with the local office to get a more exact figure, but that oughta be the ballpark.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 13:55

How about an option, then? Or the ability to let us install an appropriate part ourselves (that might already be possible without having seen your box). I'd probably be willing to pay an extra $5-$10 for a jack instead, just for the tidiness.

Out of curiosity (and I know I'm getting ahead of myself and you), have you considered routing the face of the unit a little so that the empeg will sit more-or-less flush with the face? Shouldn't be a big problem as long as you're using reasonably thick MDF.

Of course, I could do all of this myself, but I'm just too lazy.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 14:00

Not to tell you how to create your product, Mark, but shortly after I built my first docking station I discovered that a fan was a requirement. Something you might want to think about.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 14:01

>How about an option, then? [ethernet jack on back instead of a loose cable]

Well, if everyone leans in that direction, I suppose I'll just have to design the RJ-45 coupler into the back panel then, and adjust the price to compensate -- probably $5-10 extra.

>have you considered routing the face of the unit a little so that the empeg will sit more-or-less flush with the face?

I'm still toying with that aspect of the design. Personally, I kinda like letting the empeg bezel just sit flush against the front of the cabinet, but I suppose it may look better with a face frame around it -- this would look a little better with the veneer as well. I'll try a couple of things on the prototype.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 14:05

>I discovered that a fan was a requirement.

Yes, I've been pondering that problem, and may have to offer fans as an option. The unit will have air passages to match those of the player, including the top "fan" grill.

I'm looking around for a cost-effective method for pushing air through those holes. The player should get no warmer than when in most cars, but even that is pretty darned hot in reality.

The big issue is noise. People don't want fan noise when listening to soft background music, or at least I don't want it. I'm still working on that one.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 14:08

Oh, and to, once again, request too much, it'd be nice to have some sort of spring loaded bezel to cover the hole when it's not filled. Kind of like the one that covers a car cassette player's hole. I was thinking of the kind that had two flaps, as it'd seem to be easier to fit, but it'd probably also cost significantly more, so a one-flap solution would do, if it'd work.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 14:24

Mark, that sounds awesome! Put me on the list.
Posted by: bodybag

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 14:38

I would be interested in one, maybe two. Would like the ethernet plug on the rear instead of the cable, FWIW.
Posted by: Brandis

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 14:59

I was toying with this idea a few weeks ago, but would rather get one from you Count me in for one.

(FYI - I would like to have the ethernet as a jack on the back of the box and have the hole covered when not in use )
Posted by: DeadFire

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 15:34

I would also be interested in one. Ethernet jack would be preferable to a loose cable. Cooling is a major concern of mine, though. The room the computer is in gets quite warm, especially in the summer.
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 16:25

i was going to build one in the up comming weeks, but if you are going to produce one, put me down for one. There is something about me never being satifyed with my own creations so if someone else builds it all the better.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 18:13

Greetings!

I would be interested!!!
Posted by: Laura

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/08/2002 18:26

I would be interested in one also. And could I make a special request for one to fit the MKI in? You wouldn't have to worry about the ethernet connection. That is what I use as my home player now.

<---- smiles sweetly and waves

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 05:45

I'm not sure if a mating dock connector can be found for the Mark-I.

But if you always just leave it hitched to the stereo at home, then I suppose the docking connector may not be as important for that particular unit -- just plug the individual cables directly into the rear of the unit. That would also make it MUCH cheaper to build (and for You, my dear..)

Cheers
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 05:51

You can order them from newark. The part number has been posted on more than one post and it wa a much simpler connector than the mk2 one.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 05:57

I'm not sure if it would help, but I could send you the sled if it would make it easier. Or if you make it down here for the meet I could give it to you then.

And thanks!
Posted by: morrisdl

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 06:25

I would go for one. I have contracted Mark's work before and have been very pleased with the results!!
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 06:26

Your design sounds great, Mark. Count me in as very interested. I was going to start a project like this myself but "real life" has gotten in the way of all my projects lately.

I would probably just want mine in a flat black color, so I guess I'd paint it myself. Do you have any plans to offer serial on the back? Didn't see anything about that.

I don't have a mute line connected, so I would actually prefer the tuner detection patch were incorporated into Hijack to accomodate those of us who would rather the car/home detection be based on the presence/absence of the tuner.

I can't wait to see how your prototypes come out!

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 07:07

>I don't have a mute line connected

Exactly. And neither do nearly all of the rest of us. Which makes it perfect for home dock detection for (almost) everyone. The nice thing about that line, is that it can be read rather simply -- it's just a pin. Tuner detection requires much much more, including an actual tuner in the vehicle..

I'm thinking of perhaps tying the mute to the serial TX line (through a resistor, perhaps), and then just strobing the serial and reading back from the mute. That way, it could be used by everyone, even those who actually have the mute line connected up to a cellphone/onstar/whatever in their vehicle.

Cheers
Posted by: mvigneau

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 07:09

Put me down for at least one of those, probably 2.

Will it come with a docking sled? Or will we have to provide one?

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 07:27

Ohhhh.. Mute line would be active at *home*... Gotcha.

Well I think I'd be interested in two of these.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 07:37

>Will it come with a docking sled? Or will we have to provide one?

Neither. This design does not use a docking sled, even though it permits the player to be inserted/removed in the same way as with a "real" sled.

Think of the "cabinet" as a custom built docking sled, albiet somewhat more attractive to look at than the metal sleds..

Cheers
Posted by: phi144

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 09:32

Hi Mark,

I to am interested, and I would prefer the ethernet jack as opposed to the loose cable.

I look forward to some pics!

Thanks,

Doug
Posted by: jules

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 10:30

I would be interested in one with ethernet jack. Thanks.
Posted by: maczrool

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 11:24

The loose cable reminds me of the way computer monitors come these days, with the captive monitor cable in place. If it breaks you're sort of SOL.

Stu
Posted by: tms13

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 11:27

US$125 sounds like a bargain to me I think that's about the price of the sled in mine, before I bought the case and connectors.

I have one docking station already at work, but the temptation to acquire another for home could prove too tempting for me. And having made one, I'd find it harder to justify making another (novelty factor and all). I'd rather save myself day's work that it took for the first one even if it means spending more than I did on my parts (and it's almost certainly less).

Some observations, and (I hope constructive) criticisms:
  • I put an ethernet socket on the back of mine (£5 or so) and I think that's the best connector option, as the user can then use the best length patch cord to plug it into the rest of the network. But if you leave space where I could install a socket myself, I'd be happy.
  • I have a power-plug in mine to fool the player into AC mode, but I did think a bit about using mute or headlight sense to detect the sled. I considered wiring the input to the amp control, and checking for a transition when the display is activated, but your idea of strobing the serial sounds interesting. I like that.
  • You don't mention what kind of serial connector will be exposed. I think serial is essential (for re-applying Hijack after an upgrade, if nothing else). I'd be willing to fit one myself, if you leave space for it.
  • I suggest leaving some space to add extra audio connectors, for those who want rear outputs and AUX and MIC inputs. My dock has 3 pairs of RCAs (though I've only bothered wiring one pair).
  • The size you mention sounds very compact - IWBNI there would be room to fit a tuner module (original or pca-kit) inside. My docking station is 11"x7¾"x3½" and some of the connectors were a bit of a squeeze. A bit more space would be useful for anyone customising their dock.
I've tried to keep my suggestions from increasing the cost - they're mostly places to leave space for keen people to add stuff.

All that said, I'd probably want one as a home-stereo dock with just power and audio-out, and use my existing dock for hacking.

Count me in for one.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 12:08

That's a good point. Mark will the docking station include a power switch, either in the front or back? I hate having to inplug things just to turn them off.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 12:11

Yeah, now that I've lived with them for a while, I'm really glad I decided to put a power switch on the front of my docking stations. Very useful. Rebooting the player for whatever reason is now a no-brainer.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 12:49

I'd be interested, probably in 2.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 14:40

This docking station uses YOUR external AC-Adaptor for power.

The top left button on the empeg itself is normally used to turn the unit "on" and "off".

There is no power switch on the dock, and nor will there be (there's no way I could get safety code approvals for such wiring).

Rebooting is easily accomplished via the Hijack menu, or by reseating the player in the dock.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 15:05

Okay, I'm investigating fans right now, and have two of the lowest noise ratings I could find here.

They are both noticeable, but one of them (ball-bearing fan) is reasonable with a 130-Ohm resistor in series with it -- about the same noise level as the (single) hard drive inside the unit when docked.

The current prototype specifications are as follows. Keep in mind that the design is basic to keep it affordable. If you want a built-in power-switch, amplifier, aux-in, rear-out, veneered exterior, volume controls for the amp, and serial/USB connectors, then you'll have to customize it or build your own (or enclose this one in a larger cabinet).

-- sled-less cabinet constructed of 0.5" MDF, with an internal docking connector for all electrical/signal connections, except ethernet.

-- overall measurments approximately 8"x8"x3", plus four rubber feet on bottom.

-- all edges/corners rounded over for a sleek look, paint it (yourself) your favourite colour(s).

-- Front of Empeg can either be inset flush with front of cabinet (harder to remove..), or fit flush with surface of the cabinet. Undecided yet..

-- uses YOUR existing AC-adaptor for power, connected via a jack at the rear of the cabinet.

-- ethernet jack mounted at rear of the cabinet, connected internally to the Empeg (automatic docking).

-- twin RCA phono plugs mounted at rear of the cabinet.

-- top mounted fan, flush with top of the cabinet, directly over the "fan port" on the Empeg. Fan speed preset with 130-Ohm resistor, but user could modify this with a 200-Ohm potentiometer for variable speed if desired.

-- two 1.5" round air intakes, one on each side of the cabinet, which line up with the airflow holes on the Empeg.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 15:10

Fan update: My Mark2 unit is steady at 31C/87F with fan running. Ambient temperature here currenly 69F.

Speaking of which, I plan to power the fan using the "remote amplifier" output from the docking connector, so it will only be "on" when the Empeg is "on".

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 15:27

Speaking of which, I plan to power the fan using the "remote amplifier" output from the docking connector, so it will only be "on" when the Empeg is "on".

Aw, man, why didn't I think of that.

Regarding the fans, I've resistor'd mine down to where they are running very slow and pushing very little air. You don't need much air movement at all to cool the player and keep it in the 100f range even when it runs all day. So if you start with extra-quiet fans to begin with, you should be able to get them nearly silent even for moments with "soft music"

I found that my problem with noise on the fans was primarily two factors:

1) Port noise, the whooshing of the air through the holes. I solved that by not placing the fan close to the empeg vents. It's in the back corner where there's a lot of air space behind the fan. In this position, its job is not so much to drag the air over the hard disks, it's more like just making sure the air in the case is moving at all; up from the bottom and out the back of the case. Really, it doesn't need much more than that.

2) Vibration noise translated from the fan to the wooden casing. I solved this by suspending the fan on a pair of thick wires instead of screwing it direclty to the case. Although you might not want to jury-rig something so flimsy for a mass-production unit.
Posted by: njdboy

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 15:27

I would be interested in one! Thanks for doing this......

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 15:39

>1) Port noise, the whooshing of the air through the holes. I solved that by not placing the fan close to the empeg vents. It's in the back corner where there's a lot of air space behind the fan. In this position, its job is not so much to drag the air over the hard disks, it's more like just making sure the air in the case is moving at all; up from the bottom and out the back of the case. Really, it doesn't need much more than that.

Yeah, this fan is now running quite slowly, and seems more than effective enough here.

The cabinet design being offered here is very slim, pretty much a flush fit with the player. As such, there's no room for significant airflow around the unit, so a rear-mount fan is out of the question with this design.

I could produce a larger docking cabinet, to permit airflow for a rear-mount fan, but that would add a number of new pieces and joints to the design, increasing the labour required for construction. Still, if that's what it takes to obtain acceptable fan sound levels, then that's what will happen.

But first, I'm going to live with the present design for a few days and see if the fan is an issue or not. So far, it sounds fine.

I'll wire up the docking connector and rear panel tomorrow, and if all goes well I should be able to take some pics of the completed unit for posting.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 16:02

Tony,

That second docking station is sharp! Nice job!

Doug

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 16:06

Thanks! Yeah, the first one was really going to be just a prototype, but by the time I got done with the second one, I'd run out of energy for wood working. That stuff's hard when you don't live in the "New Yankee Workshop".
Posted by: drakino

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 16:32

(Glad I decided to finally caught up on this forum)

Yes, I am definitly interested in one, I might actually get more use out of my spare empeg this way.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 18:14

>That stuff's hard when you don't live in the "New Yankee Workshop".

Oh, I don't know about that!

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 18:19

Well, good news..

I've decided the fan noise is just a bit too noticeable, so I'm revamping the design to include a rear-mount fan instead of the present top-mount fan. That will make it much less obtrusive (though it's hardly noticeable already).

Also, I'm thinking about adding a serial connector to the rear. Not that it's really needed -- Hijack updates use ethernet for most of us, and player software updates are rare -- but serial output is still nice for debugging.

Just thinking for now.. maybe as an optional "extra".

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 18:51

Sounds better and better!
Posted by: Banacek

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 19:07

I'd be very interested for one with the ethernet jack on the back, not the cord. Thanks!

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 19:09

>Sounds better and better!

Yeah. So.. about this weekend: heard you were free (another thread..)

Oh, darn.. got a climbing date. Ah well..

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/08/2002 19:11

LOL Mark. I'm sure your wife is glad you have a climbing date

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 29/08/2002 03:10

FWIW, I decided to see how hot my player ran in my docking station before I drilled any vent holes or considered a fan. It runs fine (up to about 40 degrees) without any ventilation at all. Ambient is about 20 degrees (air-conditioned office).

So I don't want a fan. (though I understand if it simplifies your life to make 'em all the same - I could just disconnect it)

Would a kit form reduce the shipping cost? I don't mind screwing some panels together if they're all pre-drilled and stuff. I guess I'm not quite as lazy as I claim.
Posted by: jaylward

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 29/08/2002 03:31

Put me down for at least of these - definitely at home and maybe at the office too! It will certainly be a lot more elegant than plugging all the wires that trail across the desk and balancing the empeg on a stack of cd cases! Good job!
Posted by: DBALKUNJR

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 29/08/2002 09:31

Count me in for one.

Dave
Posted by: KungFuCow

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 29/08/2002 09:42

Put me down for one as well.

Thanks Mark!
Posted by: maurij

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 29/08/2002 11:08

I would take one too. thanks for the effort

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 29/08/2002 13:15

I'm only planning on making/shipping fully assembled docks -- keeps life simpler for me, and makes the packaging really easy -- an assembled rectangular shape is easier to package than a bunch of parts.

The dock will be glued together, but the bottom panel will only be held by four screws, to permit partial disassembly for access to the fan, wiring, etc..

Does anyone out there know off-hand whether the "remote amplifier on/off" signal is directly controllable by software? Or is it hardwired to standby/non-standby, like the throbbing LED is (sort of)?

If we can control it directly, then fan on/off could become a software thing, allowing stuff like temperature triggering, or permanently off, or ..

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 29/08/2002 13:17

As I understand it, the display is hard wired to the amp remote wire. Display on==Amp remote on.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 30/08/2002 06:51

Okay, here's an update:

I have a final design worked out, and a prototype built. Looks nice, works nice. But being a prototype, it doesn't have rounded edges or fully connected wiring, (both so I can completely disassemble it and use the parts as templates for "production" units). So, no pics yet.

I'm off to the Gunks now for some serious rockin'. But later next week I should be back, and I'll do a mini production run of 5-10 cases and assemble/finish a couple of them properly for photos. After that happens, I should be able to take orders for delivery before the end of September.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 30/08/2002 07:10

What means of payment were you planning to use (for the benefit of those of us without a Canadian Dollar chequebook account)? Will you be accepting Visa (and giving our cards back ), or will we need to mess about with money orders or whatever?

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 30/08/2002 07:31

When the time comes, PayPal or advance-payment by Postal Money Order will suffice.

Cheers
Posted by: fusto

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 30/08/2002 08:59

Hey!!
He does live in the New Yankee Workshop!

This workbench alone makes me green with envy...

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 30/08/2002 10:36

Close.. but Norm doesn't have all of the power tools that I do..

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 30/08/2002 10:38

But I think you have to pay for them yourself...
Posted by: MMorrow

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 30/08/2002 17:11

I've wanted one of these for a while and was looking forward to designing and building one. I have a fair amount of high school woodshop experience under my belt, but lack the "Norm" shop. My thoughts were to use solid hardwoods, and design something with some angles (not totally square) with a 10-15 degrees upward tilt to the face. I had also thought a non-metal sled design would be nice, but had deemed it outside of what could be done in my garage. I look forward to seeing pictures of what you have designed. Any chance of you offering a choice of solids in addition to veneer finishes for an extra fee? ...Mark
Posted by: Tim

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 31/08/2002 15:32

Depending on when I come up in the queue or place an order, I would most definately be interested in one (or maybe even two)...
Posted by: Crisplinen

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 01/09/2002 19:01

I would definitely be interested in one.
Posted by: otowneddie

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 01/09/2002 21:04

I would be interested in one also, with ethernet jack.
Posted by: talmou

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 02/09/2002 01:26

I'd also be interested in 1 unit with ethernet connector.
Posted by: semandell

Please count me in for one. - 02/09/2002 20:52

Will be happy to pay via PayPal as soon as you can accept!
Posted by: mail2mm

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 02/09/2002 23:25

I am very much interested in purchasing one of your home docking stations. I prefer an Ethernet jack rather than the cable. Thanks for the effort. What a workbench!

Michael

Update: climbing! - 06/09/2002 09:34

Latest update on the docks:

No change in status last week or this week -- the rock-climbing season is in prime-time right now (nice temperatures, no bugs, etc..). so this project will continue as soon as we get some bad weather here.

Cheers

Re: Update: climbing! - 06/09/2002 10:18

(as hundreds of Empeg enthusiasts do rain dances)
Posted by: fede

Re: Update: climbing! - 09/09/2002 18:32

Please add me to the list. I have been away from the board for a couple of weeks and just saw this tonight. I have been working ona design of my own using quilted walnut but have not actually started cutting yet. I would happily buy one to use at the office.
Posted by: jcboeckl

Re: Update: climbing! - 09/09/2002 20:30

I'm interested as well! Add me to the list!
Posted by: cclark

Re: Update: climbing! - 09/09/2002 21:08

I am interested in a home dock as well.

I would need to have room in the back of the dock to add an optical connector from the digital output board.

Re: Update: climbing! - 10/09/2002 21:51

yea that would be sweet!

I'm curious what the wooden case will look like the Metal ones would probably match other components better but I guess they are quite pricey....and I'm probably a bit late to have any say in the design anyways
Posted by: thrasher

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 13/09/2002 18:42

I would like one.all even pay in advance.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 15/09/2002 11:30

ditto here!

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 21/09/2002 20:44

Update? I know your busy but just curious when you will resume work on these?

Thanks
Posted by: Daria

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 21/09/2002 21:16

He's here (the Cincinnati meet) instead of working on it, he says

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 22/09/2002 15:24

And now he's on his way to Red River Gorge in Kentucky to do some rock climbing, I chickened out. I think we're going to have to wait until rock climbing season is over, whenever that is.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 25/09/2002 20:01

Slowly.. weather for climbing is just too good to stay inside.

But.. on the way back from Cincinnati, I did manage to stop into some shops and pick up a collection of back-panel connectors for the first ten units.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/09/2002 08:29

Good news: the fan noise issue seems to be solved, at least on my prototype unit. I've glued the fan to a rubber gasket, and used the gasket as the mounting surface. Seems to deaden the fan to a dull enough noise that it disappears in a quiet room.

So.. next time we get a couple of rainy days, I'll build five units and post pictures.

cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/09/2002 21:54

sweet, can i beta test one?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/09/2002 22:21

How about I'll build you a rock climbing helmet with a built-in docking station and we can trade

.I'd be interested in one. I'd prefer an ethernet jack rather than the cord
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 27/09/2002 22:32

Here's a picture of my 1st prototype.

It may require modification to the user's head, however.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/09/2002 13:31

They definitely use ethernet jacks rather than cords now.

Cheers
Posted by: skibum

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 08/10/2002 15:08

please add me to the list for one.

Thanks

Andy
Posted by: jets

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 08/10/2002 15:58

I did not develop the habit of listening to my empeg or any music while on my computer...until now. Having this thing sit on my desk like a cheap appliance is depressing to look at.

I've read the whole thread and have one question: How's the serial port connection going to be achieved?

Either way - I want one too!
Posted by: BAKup

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 10/10/2002 20:42

Put me down for one (or two) also....Though I think we're going to need to hide a geocache in your workshop so you'll go in there

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 10/10/2002 21:06

Actually, I have been in there recently.. building weatherproof geocache boxes..
Posted by: genixia

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 11/10/2002 07:02

LOL.... I hate to think where they'll end up....emphasis up...
Posted by: sirmanson

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 11/10/2002 09:23

I am definately interested in one or two of those!
Posted by: loren

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 11/10/2002 11:10

ammo boxes... it's all about ammo boxes. $8 at your local army surplus.
Posted by: rob

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 12/10/2002 16:13

..or $2 from any Colorado high school student garage sale.
Posted by: Neurot

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 12/10/2002 23:03

I would order one - but wondered about hooking it up to digital audio output...do you have plans to incorporate that (or an easy way to hook it up once it's in place?

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 13/10/2002 05:43

Stock players don't have digital out, other than ethernet.

If you mean some kind of third party add-on kit, then that part is up to you.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 13/10/2002 17:04

..or $2 from any Colorado high school student garage sale.

Oh, come on, that was a cheap shot.

Besides, everyone knows the kids in the South have more ammo boxes.
Posted by: cblake

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 13/10/2002 19:42

Not to rush you because I know your busy but any idea when mass production and order taking will start?

-Calvin
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 14/10/2002 08:43

Yeah...kids don't bother shooting up their schools here because they know that if they start, half the student body will start shooting back.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 17/10/2002 19:11

>Not to rush you because I know your busy but any idea when mass production and order taking will start?

Late November through December, I expect. Gonna be busy outdoors while it's still above freezing most of the time here. Once the cold dark winter sets in, the workshop shifts into high gear!

Cheers
Posted by: DisOrd3R

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 18/10/2002 17:38

Will U put me on the list 2? Just e-mail me.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 18/10/2002 18:01

I'm not yet keeping a list. I will repost here when ready for orders.

Cheers

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 15/11/2002 07:33

So... How's the weather? Sure is cold and nasty here....

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 20/11/2002 06:45

Mmm.. just got back in last night from Utah (nice weather there..), and dug the 4x4 out from a snow drift so we could drive home from the airport.

'nuff said.
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 20/11/2002 09:57

Hello workshop!

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 20/11/2002 19:38

Hello workshop!

Yeah, it's about time before we spend all of our money on Christmas presents

*waves*

Welcome back Mark!
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 20/11/2002 19:54

Awww Man!! I missed out on a chance to meet the "Lord"

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 20/11/2002 20:14

>Awww Man!! I missed out on a chance to meet the "Lord"

Huh? My initials aren't "JS" (or "BY").

Cheers

-ml

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 21/11/2002 09:44

I could arrange something if you like....
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 24/11/2002 13:50

Murder is still a punishable offence...
Posted by: srhodes

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 29/11/2002 17:44

Yep, I'm looking to spend on a couple of units. Be interested to see any development piccies if there are any available. I mean, my appetite is pretty wetted as it is, but ....

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 12/12/2002 17:07

So whats the deali-yo!

I'm ready and waiting with money in hand. I'm curious though what will the station look like when the empeg is not docked in it? It would be cool if we could have some sort of flap or something...maybe a cap?

Anyways bttt

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 14/12/2002 22:00

Well, Ugh. Contracts are getting in the way of this work (which would probably be more fun than the contracts, too!).

So it ain't gonna happen in time for Christmas. Right now, This is looking more like a Jan/Feb project, something to bide time in the warm workshop rather than the frigid and dark outdoors up here.

-ml

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 15/12/2002 17:01

cool ill be waiting.
Posted by: tbussmann

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 19/12/2002 08:33

If you think fan noise could be an issue, look at the second fan on this page. I have four of them in my computer case, and if you turn the fanspeed relatively low, they are essentially noiseless. I don't know if you'd intended to use computer case fans, but if you did, these things would be a good option. (Maybe even put a small hole in the back of the box and place the fanspeed adjuster there, so someone could adjust the speed of the fan on the back of the box if they knew it was going to get very hot during extended use).

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 19/12/2002 09:07

Too big, and noisier than the one's I've already found, thanks.

Silent, for me, means "MUCH quieter than the Empeg's hard disk (single drive box)".

Cheers
Posted by: Biscuitsjam

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 24/12/2002 14:10

Panaflow Fans

Look at this: http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/25/272.htm?629

We bought about 10 of these fans for mine and my father's computer. They are not audible at all inside our computer cases and provide a lot of cooling; they currently cool 1.3 and 1.47 ghz processors just find. We tried about a dozen different fans before finally finding these.

You might also want to consider using a high-quality fan grill for the box to reduce noise.

Grill: http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/42/52.htm?629

Or if you are particularly anal
Accoustic Foam: http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/63/288.htm?629
Voltage Reducer: No longer stocked at 2cooltek, but about $3 ea.

I'd recommend you look at 2cooltek. Good prices, excellent service, fast shipping. We've placed half a dozen orders through them.

Note: I have no affiliation with 2cooltek

-Biscuits
Posted by: lopan

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 03/01/2003 11:32

In reply to:

Nope... we always just used them there black powder rifles, no need for them fancy ammo boxes.

The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 09:46

Well, the wife is finally out of the workshop, with the new hall closet and drawers completed upstairs.. so there's room for me to sneak in a pre-production run of docks (finally!).

Here is the concept prototype unit for the Empeg Docking Station warts and all!

Description and photos at: http://rtr.ca/dock/

-ml

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 09:52

I would suggest that the docks be standard stereo-unit wide, even if that means having unused space. The problem with it not being that wide is that it then must be the top unit in a stack, which can limit placement.

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 10:02

There is nothing to prevent enclosing one of these into a larger box, possibly also incorporating a power amplifier as well (as I have done with my own dock).

But larger sized items mean hefty shipping expenses, and they take up a lot of real-estate on desk surfaces at work. I am betting that most of us want one of these for use at work..

Cheers!

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 10:11

True.

At the same time, many of us who want one want to buy one because we don't have the skills or facilities to build it ourselves, which would tend to prevent building a larger box to house this one.

I understand the shipping problem, though. How about also designing an optional exterior case that this could fit into that's shipped unassembled. Then we could go and purchase some Gorilla Glue to put it together with. (It's all reconstituted wood, right, so no worries about expansion and contraction?) It needn't be any taller, so six sides with a hole in the front, a hole in the back, and a dado on the inside of the top and bottom to align the unit you've already made would make sense.

Of course, maybe no one else cares, and I could probably do that on my own, not to mention I'd consider using it at work (where I'd have to figure out a proper locking method).

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 10:29

Yah, I suppose I could include a larger meta enclosure as an option. The basic dock has to ship pre-assembled with its critical dimensions and wiring and stuff -- and wouldn't really be significantly smaller if unassembled.

But a larger enclosure in which the smaller dock can be inserted would be easy to flat pack for end-user assembly without much trouble.

But first.. the basic dock has to get moving!

Cheers

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 10:31

More photos in a day or so, once the pre-prod versions are built. These will look MUCH better than the current prototype, and I suppose I might even paint one up for use in the living room here..

Cheers

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 10:59

I would suggest that the docks be standard stereo-unit wide, even if that means having unused space. The problem with it not being that wide is that it then must be the top unit in a stack, which can limit placement.

My problem with a small docking station would be something completely different from that: weight. When building mine, I deliberately made them larger, and out of denser wood, so that they would be heavy and "stay put". That way, I could push/pull the player in and out of the sled with one hand and not have to hold the docking station in place with the other hand. Even as it stands right now, I wish I could weigh down my docking stations even more somehow, they still move a little bit. If your docking station is screwed into a rack somehow, it's a moot point, but if it's just sitting on a shelf or a desk then it becomes an issue.

With that said, though, Mark, I think your design is really excellent. I particularly like the clever use of the air channels.

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 11:10

Well, on the prototype, my empeg just slides in with only a slight amount of resistance -- a finger on top of the dock provides more than enough counter force. I think the conventional steel docking shells are the reason for the much greater force needed with your current dock.

Cheers

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 11:16

Greetings!

Very nice!!! Very nice! I do have a quick question:

The brace where the ethernet connector plugs into the player, near the fan - that that the full height of the case, or half height? I am just thinking about possible clearence issues with the digital out board installs. Just curious. Thanks!

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 11:45

Right now the rj45 dock is just slightly over half-height, about 1.125" tall I believe.

-ml

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 12:27

A thought on this, how about having some way to bolt/fix it down. At home its no problem, but at work 'everything' walks :-(

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 12:39

Don't need a special design for that. Just a drill and a screwdriver.
Posted by: maczrool

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 13:35

In reply to:

I am just thinking about possible clearence issues with the digital out board installs. Just curious. Thanks!

From the looks of things, it doesn't look like you can get an internal digital connection made with his home docking station , but it looks like the unit will PROBABLY fit. You would most likely have to run the digital out through the Mic In line as I did here.

Stu

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 14:23

Lots of ways to secure a box like this, including just looping a thin steel cable through the vent slots at the rear, and through the handle of the empeg when it's inserted into the unit. The other end of the steel cable needs to be attached to something BIG and HEAVY, like a pillar or desk.

-ml

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 17:47

I still want one for my MKl (if possible).
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 19:10

Don't need a special design for that. Just a drill and a screwdriver.

Better yet -- four little squares of sticky-back Velcro.

tanstaafl.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/01/2003 19:24

Okay, these are happening for real now!

I have the initial nine (9) units cut out and awaiting assembly in the workshop now -- still need the docking connectors from Digikey before I can complete their assembly.

So, I've just ordered fifty (50) sets of docking connectors and pins; delivery date unknown, but we should find out on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, I do have two docking connectors to play with, so I'll be assembling two units this week, and hopefully finding a buyer for one of them after I post photographs of the assembled unit.

Time to count the contents of your piggy-banks, folks!

-ml
Posted by: tman

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 19:33

How strong is your velcro!?! I'd say 4 bits of velcro won't stop the average person from "borrowing" it

- Trevor
Posted by: Biscuitsjam

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 20:08

Anyone who "borrows" it isn't human, they are sub-human.

Who do you want to prevent from taking it? How much time would they have and how much work would they be willing to go to? Even the best lock out there is just a deterrant. The better the security, the better the deterrant.

Something right in the middle of a busy office might be a little different than somewhere that is deserted half the day. You could always get one of those laptop lock, but you still need a way to lock the empeg into the box itself.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 20:09

I'd say 4 bits of velcro won't stop the average person from "borrowing" it

Ah... I didn't realize you were looking for theft protection! I meant the Velcro would be good to keep it from sliding around on the desk when you insert and remove the player.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 21:19

MDF isn't reconstituted wood.... There are potential issues with edge expansion depending on what type of liquid adhesive you use and how much of it. Mark could supply the pieces pre-drilled for screws though or pre-slotted for biscuits which will make gluing easy and solid.

Mark's use of biscuits is a really good idea for a very solid (and clean) finish. The biggest pitfalls of using MDF are the fragility of its edges. Once rounded, sealed and painted, the top should not be a problem. Painting a cut or sanded MDF edge can be pretty ugly depending on paint selection. Sealing with some type of primer will be highly recommended.

My main concern with MDF will be the front edges where the player might impact during insertion. The repeated wear on those spots will likely damage the finish and may also start to break down the MDF. I haven't read the thread in such detail to find out if Mark is going to somehow reinforce this area.

All in all, very smart design for a small enclosure without using a metal sled. Very creative air-flow channel on the top as well.

I wish I had enough space for a workshop where I'm renting now. I have a perfectly nice (and new) metal bender sitting near my front door right now just begging to be bolted down. All my larger shop tools are up at my parent's house right now too. Uuuugh... I just have some basic stuff on me at the moment. And I don't think I'm going to be building too many enclosures with a hammer, a handful of pliers, wrenches and cutters, a hack saw and a cordless hammer drill. Oh, I also have a nice plunge/fixed router, but my work table is up at my parents - so nowhere to mount it. I was up on the weekend (it takes a bit over an hour) and managed to squeze in some wood cutting and routing for a small mod I'm doing to my Wusthof knife block.

BTW, Papst make some small, very low db fans. I actually need a couple to replace the stock fans in my Shuttle system (and its twin which will be here soon).

Friggen IR keybrd and tpos...

Bruno

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 28/01/2003 21:23

I wouldn't mind being one of the first buyers!!! Just let me know where to send the $$$. I've been waiting for one of these for a while. If I really like it, I'll buy a second one.
Posted by: oliver

Re: The Prototype.. it exists! - 28/01/2003 23:39

All of the speaker boxes I build are made out of particle board, or MDF or both. We use Formica Laminate to cover the boxes. This gives a very nice finish, and isn't expensive at all.

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 29/01/2003 01:16

I've got my hammer ready to break open my piggybank

Re: Home Docking Stations: US$125 - 29/01/2003 09:01

Looks AWESOME. That is SUCH a slick design! And it looks like it would be pretty easy to attach to a rack-mount unit like the one Loren used.

So are you still open to the idea of offering serial on the back as an "optional extra" like you had originally mentioned?

My piggy bank is wide open. I'll probably take two when they're available.

Pricing and first order! - 30/01/2003 12:38

Okay, here is the pricing for the Home Docking Stations:

US$115 The basic unit, with audio out, ethernet, but no fan or serial port.
US$130 Dock with integrated fan (w/ Hijack on/off control if I can manage it).
US$150 Dock with fan (as above) and fully wired serial port.

Shipping is extra, likely about US$15-20 for fast mail, perhaps less for slow mail (we'll find out more exactly when after the first few go to the post office).

I will have the first two of these ready to ship by next week, and more to follow in a week or two, after the rest of the connectors and stuff arrive.

So, who wants to be the lucky first customer?

In particular, I would like to barter the first two docks together, as follows:

I send two docks your way, with fans in both, and a serial port in one, and you send me two the following two exact items in exchange:

(1) D-Link AirPlus DWL-2000AP Xtreme G 54Mbps Access Point, and
(2) D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650 Wireless CardBus Adapter

That's it, no transfers of funds, just the loot, we each cover our shipping costs.

Takers? yn0t?

I will set up an email ordering system for the rest, as the production slowly ramps up.

Cheers

Re: Pricing and first order! - 30/01/2003 12:46

I'm on it!

Edit: Every site I've found which sells these products has the 2000AP listed as out of stock. Grr. I don't want to deal with back-orders...

Edit #2: Are these released yet? I'm seeing several retailers showing both items as a "pre-order."

Edit #3: Oh yeah, and I need to find a place that ships to Canada, or pay two times the shipping expenses.... This is a harder homework assignment than I originally anticipated!

Re: Pricing and first order! - 30/01/2003 13:06

Mark, while your at the post office any chance you could find out the airmail cost to South Africa?

Btw, how are you connecting the fan up to allow hijack control? (mic/phone connector)?

Thanks

Re: Pricing and first order! - 30/01/2003 13:28

I dunno if they're out yet, but they should be soon. Best bet for shipping is to send them to yourself using the incredibly cheap within-USA shipping that most places offer, and then MAIL them to me by fastest-mail, also cheap.

Cheers

Re: Pricing and first order! - 30/01/2003 14:05

Well, here's the problem, Mark. I went to D-Link's page and clicked through to order from their online store, and they say "item expected on 03/01/03." I would imagine the delay would be even longer for other retailers. So If I placed an order for you now, I wouldn't get it until mid-March. You trust me enough to send me the sleds and have me send you the network gear when it arrives chez moi?

Re: Pricing and first order! - 30/01/2003 15:58

D-links website seemed to sell it to me ok, i would have done it already but i just ordered Darkstorms box a few days before you announced yours. still debating on ordering those 2 items or not.

Re: Pricing and first order! - 30/01/2003 21:44

"Seemed to sell it to you" means pre-order, right?

Did you actually get the items shipped??

Re: Pricing and first order! - 30/01/2003 23:43

it said in stock and all i had to do was put my credit card in, im not srue maybe i went to a differnt site. I just did a google search for it and ended up in d-link's store.

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 06:25

Okay, so you didn't actually get the stuff yet, then. I bet they just took a pre-order...

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 13:56

Well, I suppose someone could actually insert a CC and see what happens.. if backordered, just call them up and cancel again..

Cheers

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 14:07

Well, the thing is this is D-Link's own store, so if they're back-ordered, I'd imagine nobody's got these yet.

Justin said he placed an order, I was hoping he could shed some light on whether he's gotten any indication of whether he's back ordered or not.

If it turns out there's no way to scare these things up within the next couple months, would you want to just take PayPal or something?
Posted by: Daria

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 14:07

If someone else wasn't already making the trade I would, but I really have no need for the stuff myself.

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 14:11

>D-links website seemed to sell it to me ok,
>would have done it already but i just ordered Darkstorms box a few days
>before you announced yours. still debating on ordering those 2 items or not.

Mmm.. dunno if he did or not.. sounds like he just "tested" the site, without going so far as to enter a card. Justin?

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 14:21

>Dock with integrated fan (w/ Hijack on/off control if I can manage it).

No can do.. forgot to reread my own old notes on the topic.

But to compensate, it will have docked/non-docked detection in Hijack, so that the "AC/HOME" setttings will be used in-dock, even though it's being powered from the DC pins on the docking connector. The exact method is still undecided, but that'll get settled as I assemble the first few units.

Cheers

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 14:34

isn't powering from the docking connector pins going to mean the serial port is 4800 baud? I know you can change it, but won't if affect people using the serial port in car?

Couldn't you use 1 of the pins on the serial port to control if the fan is on or off? DTR or such like?

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 18:09

i did give them a call and they said they are in stock, i never did put my order in so who knows what happeneds after that.

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 20:36

The Empeg will think (Correctly) that it is running on AC power, and default to 115200bps on serial. No issue with that.

The only function that cannot be convinced of AC power is the boot firmware, which will not permit serial download of a new kernel unless something is inserted into the AC power jack on the back of the player.

As discussed earlier in this thread, this is a small issue once a year or so when a new software release is made available -- in which case, just pull the unit out of the dock, install the new release, re-install Hijack, and then stick it back in to the dock for another 8-12 months (or longer).

The serial port doesn't have DTR.

Cheers!

-ml

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 20:38

Speaking of which.. I am fastening the bottoms of the units on with screws, so that they can be opened up and modified if desired.

Cheers
Posted by: thrasher

Re: Pricing and first order! - 31/01/2003 22:38

thanks for all your hard work on these.Let me no where to send the money,I want one with all the bells and whistles.

Production units.. soon, Real Soon. - 01/02/2003 11:26

Wow.. the finished production units are turning out MUCH nicer than the rough prototype. There is a lot more machining going into them than I had originally planned on, but the results are well worth it.

I'm running out now to pick up a batch of serial connectors (since most folks seem to want them), so I can wire up the first couple of units today and get some new photos up. I'll post again here when that happens.

The bulk orders of fans and docking connectors are due mid-week or so, and ongoing production of a few units a week should ramp up after that happens.

I really like the way these are turning out now, and will probably keep a few of the early units for myself!

Again, the first two units are still up for grabs.. see my earlier posting here as to what I'd like in trade for them -- and double check with yn0t_ first, just in case he's already working on it. After that, the remainder will go for paypal cash, and I'll post ordering instructions once the next batch are ready for assembly.

Cheers

Re: Production units.. soon, Real Soon. - 01/02/2003 12:25

the remainder will go for paypal cash

Just stoked my PayPal account with a little cash in preparation...

Re: Production units.. soon, Real Soon. - 01/02/2003 21:07

Okay, now accepting orders. Please move to the new thread.