win2k and stupid keyboard power control

Posted by: pca

win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 23/03/2003 14:13

OK, I give up. How the hell do I disable the helpful little cat-operated buttons on the windows keyboard, that, when stepped on by a small furry foot for the second time in the last hour, immediately turn off the bloody machine without even so much as asking permission? I'm about ready to get out the wire cutters, and I'm not sure which part of the problem to attack with them...

pca
Posted by: mlord

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 23/03/2003 14:57

The BIOS/CMOS setup sometimes has an option to disable/enable those buttons.
Posted by: Laura

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 23/03/2003 15:01

Cats, got to love them I now have my monitor on a stand with the keyboard underneath because of little kitty feet on my keyboard and furry bodies deciding that it was a good place to sleep.
Posted by: lectric

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 23/03/2003 18:23

I did, in fact, use wire cutters in one instance, pliars in another, and superglue in a third. Superglue yielded the prettiest results!
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 23/03/2003 21:08

So... we finally learn the real reason it took so long for the tuner kits to be designed and made!

Posted by: fusto

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 23/03/2003 21:40

when stepped on by a small furry foot
You could try wearing shoes?
Posted by: muzza

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 24/03/2003 04:20

Kitten-mittens
Posted by: frog51

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 24/03/2003 05:35

This is the solution you've been looking for
Posted by: tman

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 24/03/2003 07:29

That's actually quite funny and it's a real program
Luckily, I've got a dog and he doesn't seem to want to mess about on any of my computers...

- Trevor
Posted by: pca

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 24/03/2003 12:19

The problem with this is twofold:

A) It won't work if you hit the sleep or power-off keys, the machine just dies with no warning, and

B) The power control keys are the only ones ever stepped on. I suspect a conspiracy of some sort

pca
Posted by: Roger

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 24/03/2003 12:52

sleep or power-off keys

What sleep or power-off keys? Is this one of those fancy USB keyboards with 35 extra keys on it?

If so, then it probably came with a utility (check the Control Panel, or see if it's on the CD) that allows you to remap those keys. Simply remap them to something else (like a macro that plays a .wav)
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 24/03/2003 12:59

Simply remap them to something else (like a macro that plays a .wav)
Or a reminder to buy one of these.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 24/03/2003 13:02

Aw, is Pixel in the doghouse today?

Er, so to speak...

Anyway, if it were me, I'd just use a proper keyboard, one without those keys. I haven't touched a keyboard with so much as a Windows key over the last couple of years...
Posted by: jasonc

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 24/03/2003 17:02

In reply to:

OK, I give up. How the hell do I disable the helpful little cat-operated buttons on the windows keyboard, that, when stepped on by a small furry foot for the second time in the last hour, immediately turn off the bloody machine without even so much as asking permission? I'm about ready to get out the wire cutters, and I'm not sure which part of the problem to attack with them...

I've had this problem with a series of wireless keyboards with power/suspend buttons. I just popped it off. no button, no problem.
Posted by: tman

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 24/03/2003 17:07

Depending on the exact mechanism inside the key, you can just put a rubber washer under it. The key won't work anymore and it won't look strange by not having a keycap there.

- Trevor
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: win2k and stupid keyboard power control - 24/03/2003 17:34

I don't have one of those Internet-type keyboards to play with but this is where I think you should look:

Control Panel -> Keyboard -> Hardware -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver

From there:
Install from a list .....
Don't search. I will choose....
Next

<Uncheck "Show Compatible Hardware">
<Choose a make/model that looks appropriate like "Standard 101/102-Key">

Next <etc>