Favourite posts

Posted by: schofiel

Favourite posts - 27/09/2003 13:09

Over the years this BBS has been running, there have been some pretty impressive posts made by people that were memorable, witty, or definitive on some subject or other.

Why don't you post (in this thread) a link to your favourite individual posting, even ones as far back as the early days of the board?

After a while, when a collection has built up, we should post a poll so that people can vote for their favourite.

Come on people, get searching!
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Favourite posts - 27/09/2003 13:17

Although recent, it has to Tony's spider one that gave him images I imagine he didn't want!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Favourite posts - 27/09/2003 14:52

My favorite is this one, but it's only funny in the specific context and the time.

Re: Favourite posts - 27/09/2003 14:53

Aaawww, thanks! (I Think...)
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Favourite posts - 27/09/2003 14:57

I don't have a link, but somebody once collected all of Tony's posts where he mentions making a mess on his monitor...
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Favourite posts - 28/09/2003 14:24

pretty impressive posts

I have always felt that this ranks as one of the best, if not the best post ever made on this bbs as far as being informative.

I think the best story on the bbs is this one.

I think the best one-liner on the bbs is this post.

tanstaafl.

Re: Favourite posts - 28/09/2003 14:32

Thanks, Doug, I was proud of that little story. (Not proud of the stupidity that was the subject of the story, but proud of the way I'd written it.) And I agree, the towels/china line was one of the best one-liners on the BBS. Definitely right up there in the running with the "God has to wait for his queue number just like everyone else" post.

Re: Favourite posts - 28/09/2003 15:01

somebody once collected all of Tony's posts where he mentions making a mess on his monitor...
Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny. Unfortunately, I can't find it on the BBS. Getting the search terms right is hard...
Posted by: mlord

Re: Favourite posts - 28/09/2003 16:22

Well, here's one of mine (yes, waving my own flag here!) that I've regretted practically every time I've boarded a plane in the past couple of years..

The Word that changed my life.

Cheers

Re: Favourite posts - 28/09/2003 18:31

Yeah, I remember "that word" being brought into question at some point. It's so odd seeing your post as a "newbie". Also odd seeing how that kernal "hack" for one little feature ended up evolving into what it is today!

Re: Favourite posts - 28/09/2003 18:48

Yeah, I remember "that word" being brought into question at some point.
I see from the post date that the first version of the program existed approximately one month before "the word" suddenly became a four-letter word. But that particular post doesn't yet name it that. What date did it officially become "hijack"?
Posted by: mlord

Re: Favourite posts - 28/09/2003 20:05

What date did it officially become "hijack"?

That would be this version, I think. This version (V11) was the first one to incorporate hijack.c in the sources. From V3 onwards I just kinda used that nasty word more often, so I'm not 100% sure if there's a better defining moment for when it became known simply as hija--
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Favourite posts - 28/09/2003 20:51

Also odd seeing how that kernal "hack" for one little feature ended up evolving into what it is today!
Yeah, cause software never evolves like that!

But hey, at least there was a capable programmer all the way through. Most software projects I've worked on start out with the least capable (usually a college student or intern making a simple program for a small task) and elevates in complexity until it gets into the hands of the most capable, at which point the programmer's hands are tied by poor design at the beginning (I've been a programmer at both stages, I must shamefully admit!). But I digress, clearly this was no such development effort!
Posted by: genixia

Re: Favourite posts - 28/09/2003 21:17

LOL. Too true. Mark graced us incompetants with an easily understood design - the existence of Bass and Treble controls is testamount to that.
Posted by: andy

Re: Favourite posts - 29/09/2003 01:25

Yeah, cause software never evolves like that!

I think that hijack must be the most extreme form of feature creep I have ever seen, excepting of course Linux itself...
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Favourite posts - 01/10/2003 02:31

somebody once collected all of Tony's posts where he mentions making a mess on his monitor...

Yeah, I thought that was pretty funny. Unfortunately, I can't find it on the BBS. Getting the search terms right is hard...

Posted here. I'm honored that one of my posts is mentioned.

Re: Favourite posts - 01/10/2003 05:26

Wow! I spent a good 1/2 hour looking for that. I could have sworn you'd use the word "monitor" in there. Thanks for finding it!

Re: Favourite posts - 02/10/2003 01:50

10 seconds -- I searched for "funny" in the For Sale board. I guess it helps to be the author... I spent 1/2 an hour searching for one of pca's posts that I liked, with no luck.

Re: Favourite posts - 02/10/2003 03:19

searching for one of pca's posts that I liked
OH YEAH, that's the "big" post that I think I enjoyed the most on the BBS... This one by PCA.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Favourite posts - 02/10/2003 07:39

This is my favorite all time one-liner. Also posted by PCA at Hugo's expense.

Re: Favourite posts - 02/10/2003 20:48

Yep, that's the one...