Football sucks

Posted by: wfaulk

Football sucks - 01/02/2004 17:53

That's all I've got. Just thought I'd let you all know how I felt.

Posted by: ricin

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 17:56

Agreed.
Posted by: andy

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 18:00

American Football or the Football that the rest of the world plays ?

P.S. in any case, can't stand Football or anyother team sports (except Formula 1)
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 18:07

While what you call football is really 'American Football' to Brits, I can only suppose it resembles the same sh1t we get clogging our TV screens over here too.

What I can't quite explain though is how, after a few beers, I somehow assume a self-righteous and newly-found passion for the game while a UK team plays in the World Cup It only happens once every so often so it's not *that* much of a problem and I'm sure there's counselling available that can address it.

Hearing the sports results after the evening news and to learn that Scunthorpe (or whoever) gained a point in the league that day always has me reaching for the remote!
Posted by: Miltoid

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 18:46

I'm currently waiting for the stupid game to be over with so people here in Houston will stop talking about it.
On the other hand it has been good for business
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 19:20

Right after the game started I paused my TiVo for dinner, go back and do like Replay activated, the reverse commercial skip. The game sure goes by fast at the fasted speed. My favorite commercials so far have been the AOL/American Chopper ones.

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 19:50

Athough you have to admit this years has a few things that catch your eye, from Janet Jackson's breast on TV, to the guy naked and dancing at the start of the second half... Now to see what this half contains.

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 20:27

US Football. For those of you in other parts of the world, rest easy that you're not inundated with the media crush that is Super Bowl Sunday.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 20:29

Yes. That totally pissed me off. The dancing itself was already over the top with Kid Rock grinding Janet's ass on stage, but the tit thing was totally un-necessary. My 3 year old son was watching at the time. Completely inappropriate for a prime-time major sporting event.

Then CBS had the hypocrisy of censoring out the streaker. I'd rather my son see someone larking around naked in an asexual manner than someone's tit being paraded purely to enhance the spectacle.
Posted by: acurasquirrel_

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 20:55

Im just pissed the local carrier wasnt broadcasting in HD until 6min before halftime
Posted by: Laura

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 21:15

Was it Super Bowl Sunday today? Gosh darn, I missed it

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 21:36

Woohoo. Boston is so nice when everyone is happy!

Posted by: Micman2b

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 21:40

Yeah, you should be here in North Carolina... There was a huge audible sigh outside a few minutes ago.

Sean in NC

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 21:50

So it's finally over, huh?

Now there's only a month until spring training starts! Of course, we've gotta contend with basketball until then.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:21

Erm, that was Justin Timberlake grinding Janet's ass.

Most 3 year olds I know like tits . Seriously, that wasn't needed. I needed Tivo to even see it tho, it was what 4 frames?

Besides, why would you even watch the halftime show? They ususally bite. I was just too lazy to change the channel.

Oh yeah - PATS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Zeke

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:22

Two of the Carolina's professional sporting teams have made it to the finals in the past few years, hockey(Hurricanes) and football (Panthers). Better than dead last I guess...

Too bad we lost the Hornets basketball team though.

Next up? NASCAR y'all.

Sean in NC
Note: I do not actually watch NASCAR.

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:23

The one half-time show I have seen that didn't suck was U2. I don't think they can top that one.
Posted by: ineedcolor

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:41

I was at work during today's game...I would have LOVED to glimpst the breast
Posted by: robricc

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:46

I would have LOVED to glimpst the breast
I replayed it on Tivo a few times. It took 3 times before I saw she was wearing a pastie.

I'm sure I will be a statistic tomorrow.

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:46

Too bad it was not BritneyS... may have been weird for Justin to be grindin' with her on stage I though, at least for them.

Sean in NC

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:49

Now that that secret is out, you'll have to post the avi here for sharesies...

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:51

Sorry. I was only replaying the live buffer and it was on my parent's unhacked Tivo anyway.

I'm sure one will surface soon enough.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:54

I didn't save it off my Replay either, not really worth saving. It'll be all over the Internet tomorrow if it isn't already. Just dial up alt.binaries.multimedia.naked.boobies.of.aging.no-longer-relevant.pop.queens in your favorite Usenet client.

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:56

I'm now embarrassed for even wanting a copy... good thing I'm wearing a mask eh?

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:59

In reply to:

alt.binaries.multimedia.naked.boobies.of.aging.no-longer-relevant.pop.queens

hahahaha

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 22:59

Well, whatever. It wasn't really great other than it being on primetime local television.
aging.no-longer-relevant.pop.queens
Truth

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 23:15

I'm now embarrassed for even wanting a copy... good thing I'm wearing a mask eh?
Bah, don't be embarassed. I freely admit to making liberal use of my Replay's "instant replay" and slow-motion controls... But aside from shock value, you didn't miss all that much. The very fact that she felt she had to show her boobs on the boob tube to make an impression is a sad commentary on society in general, and the pop music world in particular.

Speaking of which, aren't we due for a musical revolution of some sort? We're well into the '00s here and there's been not even a hint of any new trend in music. If I had been knocked into a coma in 1998 and woke up today, I wouldn't notice anything new about today's popular music. There doesn't even seem to be anything going on "out on the fringes" that's poised to explode. Has the music industry just completely stagnated? Where's the next British Invasion or Punk or Grunge or whatever to wash away this tripe?

And yes, I asked this same question a year or so ago... It still boggles my mind that nothing's changed.
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Football sucks - 01/02/2004 23:25

Where's the next British Invasion or Punk or Grunge or whatever to wash away this tripe?

Some people would argue that it's the return of "real" country and roots music -- the sort of music you heard in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou. Personally, I think it's all about fragmentation now, and it will be that way forever more. I somehow discovered old jazz music, and now that's my thing. A buddy of mine got into classical music, and now that's his thing. My fiancee is somehow mired in the world of 80's pop music, and she seems quite happy to stay there. Kids these days... I'm not really sure. Most of the ones I meet are also into old jazz music, but I'm pretty sure they're nowhere near a representative sample.

On my last European trip, I found that MTV Europe was playing far stranger and weirder material than you'd ever get over here. Maybe some of that has a hope. I don't think I'll ever quite wipe brain clear of Chicks on Speed's "We Don't Play Guitars". It was like flashing back to the early beginnings of MTV.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 00:04

Now that that secret is out, you'll have to post the avi here for sharesies...
*Not for work* (I suppose)

Video

And I swear I only found them because my girlfriend and my friend's girlfriend wanted to know if there actually was a pastie on there. We couldn't tell because Cox cable seriously sucks and the video quality was like watching football through a snowglobe.

Oh, and even though I didn't really care who won, I was upset that Carolina lost. Maybe it's because I'm a Redskins fan so I root for Stephen Davis and the underdog, which is the Panthers on both counts

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 00:18

"It's unlikely that MTV will produce another Super Bowl halftime."

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 00:21

Oh man, don't even get me started. I'm so happy to be back in the world of "grunge", unconcerned with what the crazy teenagers decide is the greatest music out there.

For a while, bands like The Vines and The Strokes appeared to be starting a new (though retro) trend, but that sure fizzled out. The power of Spears and Christina and pop in general and rap in general has apparently stopped all innovasion. Though there appear to be innovations within those genres, from artists who actually seem discontent with doing the same old pop and/or gangsta thing. Outkast has frequently impressed me (don't let runaway singles turn you off, even though I happen to think "Hey Ya" is a good song). And I really dislike rap in general. Who knows, perhaps rap and pop artists will mature into actual musicians, though I don't hold out much hope in most cases.

And speaking of the half time show what was with the musical selection? Could they not get any hip, current artists to perform popular music? (no, I'm not being hypocritical, just wondering why they chose not to). I mean, that Justin song was the most recent of the whole thing, and that was what, 8 months ago?

And what the hell?? Where the f*** were the commercials? CBS is officially the worst network. The entire country knows that the absolute best commercials of the year air during the Superbowl, yet this year I'd guess that nearly two thirds of the commercial air time was taken up by CBS promos. Do they really have to have 15 spots for "Everybody Loves Raymond"? I really hate Raymond now! As for the good ones, I wasn't impressed by the AOL ads, and the only good one I can recall from the entire 4 hours was the donkey and the Clydesdales

What a waste of 4 hours.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 00:44

Was it Super Bowl Sunday today? Gosh darn, I missed it
I only vaguely realized it because I went to Fry's today and it wasn't as crowded as usual.

(Got NHL2004 for the GameCube and Need For Speed Underground for the PC, by the way...)

When I got home, I turned it on for two minutes just to see what the high-def coverage was like. It wasn't particularly good, the resolution was more like a DVD than high def. I guess I'm just spoiled by high def coverage of hockey games on HDNet, which are ultra-sharp and properly framed.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 00:45

... Where the f*** were the commercials? CBS is officially the worst network. The entire country knows that the absolute best commercials of the year air during the Superbowl, yet this year I'd guess that nearly two thirds of the commercial air time was taken up by CBS promos. Do they really have to have 15 spots for "Everybody Loves Raymond"?

SWMBO and I think that CBS have gotten too far up their own behinds and are over-valueing the airtime. Yeah, the commercials were generally crap. Budweiser were amusing, but none were _great_.
Posted by: webroach

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 06:05

There doesn't even seem to be anything going on "out on the fringes" that's poised to explode.

You just aren't nearly far enough out on the fringes to see it, that's all.

Trust me, it's there....
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 07:47

"I am sorry that anyone was offended by the wardrobe malfunction during the halftime performance of the Super Bowl," Timberlake said in a statement.
Right, "wardrobe malfunction". . . I wonder how many guys are going to try and use that excuse now!

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 07:57

What a waste of 4 hours
hmm, I had a lot of fun. Of course that might be because a couple we're friends with came over, brought chips and the usual "super bowl" fare, and he and I played Battlezone II on my LAN while our wives talked and played with our friends' baby (just three weeks old). I haven't played BZ II in ages (other than Diablo II it's the only one I have mulitple copies of) and boy was it fun! Yup, that was a great use of my four hours. My only regret was that I didn't take the opportunity to fry up some wings.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 08:38

Here's a better one from YaHoo News: Faulty costume

Posted by: pca

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 08:52

It took 3 times before I saw she was wearing a pastie.

Chicken & Onion or Cornish?

pca
Posted by: Jerz

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 09:50

I agree 100%. The Super Bowl (the one time I watch football a year) used to be a family event.

I'm embarrassed that our country is being represented around the world by MTV in this manner. I never even thought the half time show would ever be "R" rated but now things have definately changed. Has anyone listened to the lyrics of any of those songs? Ridiculous...

At least Hockey hasn't been ruined yet.
Posted by: jmwking

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 09:53

Now there's only a month until spring training starts! Of course, we've gotta contend with basketball until then.
Must be a 'Heel, then?

-jk
Posted by: MinerTwoFour

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 09:54

It's actually more of a sheriff's star shaped "washer" placed around her nipple with a bar piercing to hold it on.

I was a little suprised at that one. I was actually watching the HD broadcast, but I didn't watch the half time show. Other than the flash, there wasn't much to see. But ah, the internet, you can find anything. Even some eBayers taking advantage of the slip and their HD capture cards (item already removed).

But how could you make any excuses for that? Her boob "pocket" was a button on. Please.

CBS's HD coverage would have been better had they had a full crew of HD cameras instead of switching back and forth to "digital".

And yeah, you do kind of get spoiled by HDNet's hockey and college football broadcasts. Even their commercials.
Posted by: boxer

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 10:00

Chicken & Onion or Cornish?

Looks like meat and veg. to me, must be Cornish!

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 10:11

On another note the streaker was a Brit, and has a bit of history.
Posted by: djc

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 10:22

It could have been worse. At least we didn't have to endure any controversial and offensive advertising from moveon.org.

--Dan.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 10:29

Now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing the promised Bush campaign advertising either.

It's actually more of a sheriff's star shaped "washer" placed around her nipple with a bar piercing to hold it on.
Someone was taking advantage of their zoom!

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 10:37

What exaclty would have been offensive about that ad? All it said was that Bush's huge deficits will have to be paid off by our children.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:05

Actually, that's what doesn't make any sense to me... They refuse to air a "G" rated political commercial but let MTV air their "R" rated half time show?

I'm glad I was watching at my computer last night by myself... As soon as Pimp Daddy showed up on screen I killed the volume and minimized.
Posted by: MinerTwoFour

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:07

Nah, not mine. Actually had to do a search on the net for it.

Waiting for HD Tivo when I get a house.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:10

Wow.

A single, fuzzy second or two of a human breast.

R-rated???

Only in "America"..
(and places with similar body hang-ups, like Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, ...)

Posted by: blitz

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:17

human breast

See attachment. Ouch.
Posted by: djc

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:18

I really can't imagine. Did my sarcasm slip past your detector grid?

--Dan.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:18

Tell me about it....
Posted by: ninti

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:20

Seriously. It is a nipple, everyone has got one. What is it about nudity that freaks people out so much? How does her showing it hurt you or anyone else in any way Jerz?

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:28

It is a nipple, everyone has got one

or two.
Posted by: cushman

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:30

Or three... did I say that out loud?
Posted by: drakino

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:43

I got off work after it was over, headed home, and activated content skip on the ReplayTV. Enjoyed some of the commercials, skipped several CBS ones.

I also didn't bother to disable content skip around halftime, so my unit went right over the MTV crap.

Whatever engineer put in that easter egg at ReplayTV, thank you. It came in handy. For those with a ReplayTV 4500 or 5000 (and possibly the 5500), do the following:

1. Start the desired recording.
2. Hit the Play button to enter slo-mo mode
3. Hit fast forward to go to 3x slomo mode
4. Hit Commercial advance off, and back on. Unit should say "Content Skip is now ON"

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:44

Did my sarcasm slip past your detector grid?
Yes. Sorry.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:45

How does her showing it hurt you or anyone else in any way Jerz?
I don't know; that particular device looks painful.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:57

Sorry, wasn't just the nip and it's not about me.

I prefer my 6 year old kid not be expose to the ghetto rappers promoting pimps, ho's and heroin. If that is what american "professional" sports is about then so be it. The half time show should at least be rated so the parents who don't want their children exposed to that trash have the opportunity to not turn it on or be prepared to pause the replaytv or tivo. (yeah, I sound like my grandfather).

If I want to take the family to a sporting event that is what I want to see the sporting event. If I want the family to see a ghetto rapper that promotes the activities of the hood then I'll take them to the appropriate show.

Good thing I don't like football.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 11:59

How does her showing it hurt you or anyone else in any way Jerz?

I don't know; that particular device looks painful.

Well, if it had happened a day later, we could say that, maybe, it hurt Barry Manilow.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 12:02

Seriously. It is a nipple, everyone has got one.
Well, yes. For some reason it’s OK to show an entire breast as long as you cover the nipple. I have no idea what makes the nipple the particularly “private” part of a breast; it seems absurd to me that revealing a breast is OK as long as you cover the nipple. I realize I have an opposite point of view from yours (I’d prefer no breast, you see no problem with showing the whole thing), but what’s the point in covering up the nipple if you’re going to show everything else?

What is it about nudity that freaks people out so much?
Well, we’ve had this discussion before, but I think it’s fair to say that in this society the majority of people feel that nudity is a private thing not to be shared publicly. Some have convictions about this; others just feel it’s wrong somehow, thus the aforementioned “R” rating.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 12:04

heroine
I don't think I'd refer to any woman on that stage as a ``heroine''.

Oh. You mean ``heroin''.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 12:12

Only in "America"
A recent (if not the most recent) Newsweek has an interview with the big poobah of Iran (whatever his title is) and he said that he greatly admired the Puritan culture that the US is based on. Interesting, I thought, and perhaps more correct than I'd want to admit.

On another note, I'm officially sick of people being annoyed by people referring to the US as ``America''. Is the name of this country unfortunately non-descriptive? Yes. Can I do anything about it? No. Am I going to go out of my way to avoid offending those in Canada, Mexico, Central America, and South America? Not any more. It's just a pain in the ass. You know what I mean when I say ``America'' or ``American''. Deal with it. (This isn't especially aimed at you, Mark.) If I mean the entirety of those two continents or the people living there, then I'll spell it out, not that I can imagine any context in which that would really come up. (How often does one really end up using the term ``Eurasian''? And those two continents are much more intertwined than North and South America.)

Anyway, you'd think that, these days, all the other countries on these two continents would want to distance themselves from the US as much as possible.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 12:22

Well, the name of the second largest country in North America is "[The] United States of America", commonly abbreviated to a smaller mouthful as "the USA" or "the US" or "America".

Now if only the founding rebels had actually given the place a name, rather than a description of what/where it is, the darned place would be easier to discuss!

There are other "US" countries, and other countries in the Americas.

No worries, we all know what's usually meant by America.

Cheers

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 12:24

Now if only the founding rebels had actually given the place a name, rather than a description of what/where it is, he darned place would be easier to discuss!
Naming by committee, I suppose.

That should definitely be the first task we undertake when we invent the time machine. Convicing Thos. Jefferson that he needs to come up with a better name.

How did the other new world countries come up with their names, do you suppose?
Posted by: Cybjorg

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 12:29

Not the first breast controversy* that Janet has raised.

*May not be "work friendly."

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 13:15

ESPN's take...

"Janet Jackson made VH1 history yesterday and rejuvenated her buzzless career when she "unintentionally" demonstrated conclusively that she does indeed have a right mammary accessory."

VH1 history... hehehe. She was just about to hit the "Where Are They Now" status.

Other than her association with her brother Michael, do today's kids even know who Janet Jackson is? I know CBS is the network of old people, but if they were going to go in that direction, weren't The Stones available?

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 13:29

AMG shows that her last album release (All for You) was in April, 2001, but she has a new album to be released in March (Damita Jo [!?] -- all but three years later). Sounds like they should have pushed the release date up. In a month, no one will remember this stunt.

Interestingly, there was a gap of three and a half years before that album (after The Velvet Rope), over four years prior to that one (after janet.), then four years (after Rhythm Nation), then three years (after Control). Not exactly prolific, is she?

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 13:31

brother Michael

Brother?? I'm not so sure of the applicability of that description.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 13:49

I find it terribly disturbing that you (as well as many others, it would seem) are are upset that a child would see an naked breast, but see nothing wrong with them enjoying a violent sport.

I'm not against football, exactly. I just think that it's pathetic to rail against "ghetto rappers" promoting their "pimps hos and heroin", but a sport with it's fair share of violent, drug-dealing, gun-toting, homicidal, and just downright stupid people is perfectly acceptable.

If you want "hos and heroin", you may need to start the search suburban-style; I like a lot of so called "ghetto/gangster rap", and I have yet to hear anyone glorify shooting H or getting AIDS from a ho'.

I'm not directing this only at you, Jerz. Honestly, the fact that anyone (here, on CNN, EVERYWHERE) would spend so much time discussing a friggin' nipple as if it were a terror attack makes me a bit embarrassed to be an american....

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 13:54

..makes me a bit embarrassed to be an american....

Or should I say "..a bit embarrassed to be a citizen of a somewhat democratic republic generally referred to by it's location, and not by any proper name, such as would be the norm with places such as Canada, Japan, or so on. .."
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 13:57

Actually most of today's youth are quite familiar with Janet. "All For You" received heavy rotation on pop radio and MTV a couple years ago.

Sounds like they should have pushed the release date up. In a month, no one will remember this stunt.
You did your homework about checking the album release date, but you forgot that they frequently release a single before the album. Fancy that, her new single "Just a Little While" debuts today.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 13:58

Good call.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 14:26

You just aren't nearly far enough out on the fringes to see it, that's all.
You seem to have missed my point. My music collection is chock full of "fringe" artists. I'm not saying I want pop music to evolve because all I listen to is pop and I want it to change. I'm saying that I want pop music to evolve so that the record companies will give more marketing muscle to 2nd and 3rd-tier artists who don't get a chance when they're looking for the next Britney Moore or Jessica Aguilera. Then it'll be much easier to find good music instead of having to hunt it down like I do today. There have been times recently when the most popular music styles of the time were actually listenable and produced music that, to me, sounded good. Those times are gone.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 14:28

I find it terribly disturbing that you (as well as many others, it would seem) are are upset that a child would see an naked breast, but see nothing wrong with them enjoying a violent sport.

I wouldn't classify football as a violent sport. Sure, they run into each other a lot, but they all have PADS. Besides, he has the right to determine what his kids see, and you would not expect that kind of display at the Superbowl. I like boobies just as much as the next guy, but you have to look at the situation in context. Tasteful nude photography in a gallery is different than Justin saying "I'm gonna get you naked" and ripping off part of her bra. It's also not something you'd expect on NBC in prime time. Obviously our culture is more uptight about things than others, but there always has to be a transition process. Boobies on MTV? Yeah, you might expect that. On NBC during one of the most watched TV shows of the year... bad decision.

I'm not against football, exactly. I just think that it's pathetic to rail against "ghetto rappers" promoting their "pimps hos and heroin", but a sport with it's fair share of violent, drug-dealing, gun-toting, homicidal, and just downright stupid people is perfectly acceptable.

Football players don't glorify violence, drug-dealing, gun-toting or homicide. I can't really comment on stupidity. Rap constantly glorifies all of these things. I like some of it, I believe you can have all the freedom of speech you want. Just recognize the majority of it does promote pimps, hos and drug use, if not specifically heroin.

If you want "hos and heroin", you may need to start the search suburban-style; I like a lot of so called "ghetto/gangster rap", and I have yet to hear anyone glorify shooting H or getting AIDS from a ho'.

Now, now. Who said anything about AIDS? Don't put words into his mouth.

I'm not directing this only at you, Jerz. Honestly, the fact that anyone (here, on CNN, EVERYWHERE) would spend so much time discussing a friggin' nipple as if it were a terror attack makes me a bit embarrassed to be an american....

This discussion will last a week, the terror attack discussions will last for years. I don't think that's a fair comparison. The fact is our society is still in transition when it comes to nudity and sex. It's becoming less and less taboo, but you cannot expect total change overnight. Just look at what has happened in the past 10 years.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 14:29

We just need to broadcast hardcore porn during primetime.
Posted by: clsmith

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 14:35

Football sucks

I like American Football (actually I'm a Rugby fan above all else....) Though I can see why some wouldn't.

The big thing for me is that living in New England you just know that when you sit down to watch the Patriots - your stomache will be in knots for the next ~60 minutes (or the 12 minutes of non-continuous action that the Super Bowl offers.) They will always take it down to the wire and keep you on the edge of your seat till the very end. That's what keeps me watching.

And for what it's worth: the Panthers played out of their minds yesterday. I really felt bad for them after they fought so hard.

...and rejuvenated her buzzless career.

[disclaimer] Let me just clear the air and say that I dislike any type of music that Janet Jackson has ever put out. I dislike her style, her dancing and her genre (POP).[/disclaimer]

Wow, how old do I sound?

That being said I think she's absolutely brilliant! Is there anyone not talking about her, in one context or another, today - the day her new single is released?

CBS is officially the worst network.

Honestly, I don't see how CBS (or anyone) could've expected anything different from an MTV produced event. In the rare event that someone DOES actually see a music video on that channel.... It's exactly like what we saw during the half-time show. Duh!
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 14:38

Or three... did I say that out loud?
In high school, I knew a girl that had 4. She showed me the bottom two, which looked pretty much like perfectly symmetrical birthmarks, half way down her abs.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 14:39

Sure, because we all know that hardcore porn is an accurate representation of how a sexual releationship between a man and a woman should be.

"Whatever a man, a woman, another man, a midget and a donkey choose to do in the privacy of their own home is up to them!" (Paraphrased from Dave Attell)

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 14:43

Boobies on MTV? Yeah, you might expect that. On NBC during one of the most watched TV shows of the year... bad decision.
CBS, but your point remains intact.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 14:50

Well, if it was on all the time, maybe people would just get used to it and not complain so damn much and reserve their indignation for things that actually matter.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 15:00

"Things that actually matter" is very subjective. I think the phrase "when in Rome" applies here very well. There are actions that you and I take every day that would be entirely offensive to people in other cultures, but to us they are trivial. If we were to choose to trivialize these actions when in their culture it would be considered disrespectful and offensive.

This is why I see a lot of people take offense to what happened yesterday. They consider it offensive and disrespectful. Many people view what happened yesterday as the degradation of our values and morals. Those morals might shift over time, but haven't gotten to the point yet where it is acceptable on broadcast TV. I don't think the actual nudity is frowned upon, it's more what that nudity represents.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 15:04

it's more what that nudity represents.
What, cheap publicity stunts to pump sales of a mediocre pop album? Yeah, that offends me, too.
Posted by: TheRhino

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 15:50

Football sucks.

Football sucks, or just the super-overhyping of the Super Bowl? I agree that the Super Bowl media blitz has gotten WAY out of hand, but think of it this way. The NHL, NBA, and MLB all have multiple games to decide their champion (best of seven). The NFL just has this one game for the championship. That's why it's always the #1 rated TV event every year. If the other pro sports had just ONE championship (-- God forbid. The Stanley Cup Finals are fine the way they are), I'm sure we would see similar "extreme-hype" for them as well. My take on the whole thing is that it was an excellent game to watch. It's just disappointing to see that a nipple has taken away from it. When people reflect on this game they won't go, "Hey, remember that sweet game between New England and Carolina that went down to the wire?", but rather, "Hey, remember that Super Bowl when Janet Jackson's boob popped out?"

Also, check out Dave Barry's article on the Super Bowl. Pretty funny...

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:02

All football sucks because it preempts regular TV every fucking Sunday throughout the fall and most of the winter. And not even because the game ran long, but because after it did run long, they had to discuss it for thirty minutes. You know what? Those people that cared watched the damn game and don't need a fucking recap. Those few who missed it are just gonna watch SportSCenter anyway. And then they can't be bothered to stretch their post-game show out to a half-hour mark. No, they have to stop at 7:50 so that I can watch the last ten minutes of King of the Hill or, formerly Futurama, which, as we all know, is all of a TV show you really want to watch anyway.

They know these damned games are going to run long. Why don't they just go ahead and schedule them long? If it runs shorter than that, show some highlights from the other thirteen games that day. Or show a rerun of some regular programming. Or some Three Stooges shorts, for God's sake.

And let's not get started about how every football fan on the planet complains about how slow baseball is. Every football play on TV is immediately followed by a slo-mo replay of that play from each of the fifty-two cameras the network set up on the field. And then there's the timeouts called specifically so that the network can cram in some more commercials. Apparently these people have never been to a football stadium and seen a live game in their lives.

So, nope. I pretty much hate football.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:08

Whatever floats your boat, there. I'm a sports junkie, In fact, I'll be in your neck of the woods (Chapel Hill, to be precise) Thursday to see the greatest rivalry in all of sports.

Go HEELS!!

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:12

I don't mind that there's sports on TV. I just hate the fact that they become more important than everything else on TV when they are.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:20

Consider the alternative. Reality TV? Please. On the other hand, if sports were on The Discovery Channel and it pre-empted Monster Garage or Myth-busters, I would be pissed.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:23

At least reality TV has the decency to stay confined to its time slots, even if the content is more offensive.
Posted by: davec

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:24

When people reflect on this game they won't go, "Hey, remember that sweet game between New England and Carolina that went down to the wire?", but rather, "Hey, remember that Super Bowl when Janet Jackson's boob popped out?"

Nah, not me. I wasn't even near the TV for halftime... We went out to the garage to hear a halftime blues jam of my friend's regular trio. Way better than whatever went on in Houston @ halftime... Great game...

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:25

Football players don't glorify violence, drug-dealing, gun-toting or homicide.

You're right, they don't. They do something much worse. They make all of it acceptable. And they do that by being let off with fines and apologies where a normal citizen would go to jail.

Rap constantly glorifies all of these things.

II can't disagree strongly enough. Yes, a lot of hip-hop and mainstream top 40 rap has a foul message. But I find that most "ghetto" rap tends to have a fairly positive message, though usually voiced in a rougher manner than some may care for.

This discussion will last a week, the terror attack discussions will last for years. I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Ok. Note that I said "as IF it were a terror attack". This was meant to convey the point that it seemed to me that people were discussing the incident as if it were of the most dire importance, instead of being a matter of a woman showing the pinched up melanin rich nodule of skin at the tip of her breast.

The only thing I've seen happen in the past ten years is that you can now say "[censored]" and "bitch" and so on on TV, you can show people getting blown up or mowed down by gunfire, but even Discovery channel has to blur out the breasts of native peoples in their documentaries.

Oh, yeah, and we've become more comfortable with nudity.

Give me a break. Americans glorify violence and villify the human body. Talk about backwards.....

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:34

I'll be in your neck of the woods (Chapel Hill, to be precise) Thursday to see the greatest rivalry in all of sports.
Go HEELS!!
And I'll be at the rematch of the greatest rivalry in all of sports, 13 miles up the road next month!

Go DUKE!

-jk

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:37

Consider the networks point of view. -I'm predating my years a bit here so forgive any historical inaccuracies- But remember when the Jets played Oakland and the game ran long (1968 Heidi Bowl)? They decided to leave the game and air the movie Heidi as listed. Long story short the game took a major turn the team that was loosing ended up winning and the public outcry for missing it was phenominal.

Besides, isn't it the networks fault that the show times are pre-empted and not just the advertisements?

I know, I know; why even run a network it you can't become fat dumb and happy from advertising dollars.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:43

Give me a break. Americans glorify violence and villify the human body. Talk about backwards.....

You take that back or we'll beat you up!!!

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:47

Oh, yeah, and we've become more comfortable with nudity.
Heh, yeah. I liked what Will Durst had to say about it: "He spend 8 grand to clothe a statue. He's afraid of boobies. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a boobie-friendly Attorney General."

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:48

Football players don't glorify violence, drug-dealing, gun-toting or homicide.

You're right, they don't. They do something much worse. They make all of it acceptable. And they do that by being let off with fines and apologies where a normal citizen would go to jail.

Back this up with evidence, please. All of the examples you linked to in your previous post mentioned serious charges and reasonably high bail amounts. None displayed football players avoiding charges or getting off light. Your statement could probably be extended to "wealthy people" insted of football players.

Rap constantly glorifies all of these things.

I can't disagree strongly enough. Yes, a lot of hip-hop and mainstream top 40 rap has a foul message. But I find that most "ghetto" rap tends to have a fairly positive message, though usually voiced in a rougher manner than some may care for.

Just because a few non-mainstream rap artists have good messages does not make the whole genre NOT glorify violence, drug-dealing, gun-toting or homicide. Jay-Z, NWA, Easy E, Snoop Dogg, DMX, Eminem, 2Pac, Nas... who did I miss? All promote some or all of the examples you mentioned. Can you say the "share" is the same in the NFL?

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:48

Fine, but I'll be nekkid when you do it.

<shiver> Talk about violence.....

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 16:55

Americans glorify violence and villify the human body.
I seem to remember that when making the game "Necron" they had to tone down the violence for European players and the sex for American ones. Don't know if it's true, but there you have it.

I'd say that those of us who do not like public nudity do not vilify the human body. Or at least that's not my intention. I just think that there are intimate aspects to the human body, or at the very least associated with the human body, and I prefer keeping those intimate That's my choice, and I don't like seeing nudity on the airways. Heck, I don't like it in movies either, but sometimes I have to put up with it to see a good movie.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 17:01

Oh, great. I thought this forum would be the one place I would be safe from the Dookies!!

Don't force me to change my signature to:

The Good: UNC
The Bad: Duke
The Ugly: NC State

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 17:01

You know what?

There's a "No Nudity" button on the TV.

It's labeled OFF.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 17:10

You know Mark, you're right; wealthy people (which ironically tends to include most pro football players) do tend to also get off lightly for things. That is, sadly, the way things work in this country. The difference is that the run of the mill wealthy person isn't set up as an ideal, as someone to look up to. I don't consider football players worth looking up to. They don't seem to care about anything but their money, and to me that's a crappy role model for our kids. Not to mention the uncounted masses of "adult" males who consider these people heros.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Just because a few non-mainstream rap artists have good messages

You know, you may want to go back and actually listen to some of those artists again. NWA had a lot to say about the abuse of power by the police. Snoop Dogg had some very unpleasant things to say about murder (ie. DON'T). Eminem....well, we like Eminem. He's kinda like the idot alarm. You can tell how smart someone is by what they think of him.

Cook on that for a bit.

And I wouldn't really consider artists like Public Enemy, Ice-T and Afrika Bambaata "non-mainstream". But hey, again, that's opinion....
Posted by: peter

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 17:10

It's just disappointing to see that a nipple has taken away from it. When people reflect on this game they won't go, "Hey, remember that sweet game between New England and Carolina that went down to the wire?", but rather, "Hey, remember that Super Bowl when Janet Jackson's boob popped out?"
I dunno, I don't think it's "disappointing", I think the Superbowl has transcended its humble football origins. A ballgame is a ballgame is a ballgame, but that was one hell of a piece of body art. I'd award it the trophy.

Peter

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 17:12

I'd award it the trophy.

Hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 17:21

but that was one hell of a piece of body art. I'd award it the trophy.
I think calling that breast part of Janet's body is stretching it a bit. She's had fake boobies for years now.

I suppose the skin is hers...

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 17:28

She's had fake boobies for years now.

Saying "fake boobies" is like saying "faux frozen yogurt".

It may be true, but do we really mind?
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 17:34

Damn. I walk away for a few hours, and look what happens!

Saying "fake boobies" is like saying "faux frozen yogurt".

Now I have heard everything on this BBS...

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 17:37

It may be true, but do we really mind?
I do. I know not everyone shares my opinion, but I find implants unattractive and unnatural looking.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 17:41

I do too, but kinda in the way I find a giant impact crater in the desert. It doesn't look natural, I can't say it's very attractive, and I sure as HELL don't know why someone would need one, but you know....I still like looking at it for some reason.

Granted, my taste runs more towards the smaller, petite, more natural.....erk....uhh....impact craters?

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 18:40

breast part of Janet's body is STRETCHING it a bit

Was that pun intentional?

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 18:42

Was that pun intentional?
I only realized it as I was typing it.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 18:45

Damn! Why do I now have Virginia Kagel's "Boob Job For Christmas" running through my mind, over and over...?

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 18:49

Damn! Why do I now have Virginia Kagel's "Boob Job For Christmas" running through my mind, over and over...?
Here's a couple songs in a similar vein to get your mind off of it...

The Boob Fairy
Cheerleader

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 19:09

In reply to:

Oh, great. I thought this forum would be the one place I would be safe from the Dookies!!

I thought the same myself.

Just say NO, to blue devils.

Go Heels....

Sean in NC

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 19:25

You know what?

There's a "No Nudity" button on the TV.

It's labeled OFF.

Unfortunately, that button is also a "No Sports, News, Documentary, Movie, Comedy or DIY" button too.

Once upon a time someone somewhere came up with an amazing concept. By providing more than one channel, we the consumers could choose what we wanted to watch, without having to resort to the "OFF" button. Yes, that's right - choose.

Last night I chose to watch sports. I suppose that I could easily have decided to choose to watch porn instead, but since my family were present and we wanted the Patriots to win the Super Bowl, choosing to watch the game seemed much more appropriate.

You see, I took the networks up on their offer. I made my choice The powers-that-be at CBS, MTV and the NFL let me down. Someone decided that by choosing to watch sports, I really wanted to watch sexual titillation. They were wrong.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 19:25

I'm sure I will be a statistic tomorrow.
Ya think?
Posted by: Cybjorg

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 19:45

Come to think of it, do you think CBS was throwing in a bit of foreshadowing when they asked none other than Hall of Famer Y. A. Tittle to toss the coin? Yep. That's right, Tit -tle. Makes ya think.

Oh, and in case anyone is interesting in mimicing their new favorite pop star, you can purchase your very own Nipple Shield for only $26 US.
Posted by: lectric

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 23:33

Anyone Watch Family Guy on Cartoon Network tonight? At the first commercial break, as I was reaching for the remote to skip a bit, the following came up.

I laughed out loud. Very funny, Very quick.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 23:35

I just think that there are intimate aspects to the human body, or at the very least associated with the human body, and I prefer keeping those intimate.
Speaking as one who comes from a province where it's legal for women to go topless in public...

At one point, I would most certainly have agreed with you, but at some point in my life, I hit a point in my maturity where I realized that intimacy and the associations that go along with different body parts are entirely contextual. If the situation isn't sexual in context, I wouldn't associate any intimacy with a boob. Just like I don't see any intimate context in a PBS special that shows a topless woman in the Kalahari, I don't consider a boob popping out on national TV to be in any sort of intimate context, even considering what they were singing about. That the latter was more or less planned to go along with the topic of the song doesn't make it "intimate", so much as it did pathetic and pandering.

One comment from a guy here at work was that if no-one on TV had made such a big deal about it, his two young boys would never have noticed anything happened.

Nudity is a lot like spandex -- the ones (un)dressed like that in public are never the ones you want to see in that fashion.

Re: Football sucks - 02/02/2004 23:40

Here's another, this one from Joe Walsh.
Posted by: julf

Re: Football sucks - 03/02/2004 06:13

I realized that intimacy and the associations that go along with different body parts are entirely contextual.

Absolutely! Just spend some time at a family-oriented naturist beach or campground (France, Holland, Germany and Denmark are full of them), and you quickly stop making a big deal out of it. And even get used to weight-challenged naked people
Posted by: julf

Re: Football sucks - 03/02/2004 06:16

I can even hear that being sung...

Just back from London, where I watched "Jerry Springer - The Opera". Wild. Having a traditional opera aria, but with lyrics that go "Fsck you" and "Talk to the hand" took some adjusting to...

Re: Football sucks - 03/02/2004 10:17

This is completely off the original topic but since we are talking about the Jackson's I thought this might be interesting to some people.

Re: Football sucks - 03/02/2004 14:31

Lol! That's great! Bizarro Superman

Re: Football sucks - 03/02/2004 16:27

Oh, great. I thought this forum would be the one place I would be safe from the Dukies!!
Nope. We're everywhere!

-jk