VoIP handset recommendations

Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

VoIP handset recommendations - 05/07/2005 09:40

Does anyone recommend any specific handsets? eBay is too cluttered! Is Skype/Skypeout the best way to go?
Posted by: andym

Re: VoIP handset recommendations - 05/07/2005 10:35

Don't know wether it's exactly what you want, but I'm thinking of getting one of these.

My boss has a tenner a month account with vonage and got a free adaptor.
Posted by: Attack

Re: VoIP handset recommendations - 05/07/2005 13:01

I've got Lingo unlimited home plan. I only went to them because they let you transfer your current home phone number to them. I've had the same number since I've had a phone 10+ years.

I also love that they email me my voice mail messages. I hate having to check voicemail on my celphone now.
Posted by: andym

Re: VoIP handset recommendations - 05/07/2005 13:07

Will that work in the UK? 'cos that's where Phil and I are.
Posted by: Attack

Re: VoIP handset recommendations - 05/07/2005 15:13

Quote:
Will that work in the UK? 'cos that's where Phil and I are.

I see that they have phone numbers available in the UK but I don't see how to sign up if I'm from the UK.
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: VoIP handset recommendations - 05/07/2005 16:50

If you can stretch to £120 then the Cisco 7960/7940 phones are pretty snazzy. It is a bit of a fiddle loading the SIP firmware and configuring, but the cool-ness of using a phone like Jack Bauer's is worth the hassle.

Gareth
Posted by: phillos

Re: VoIP handset recommendations - 05/07/2005 18:03

I'm using a couple of Cisco 7960's connected to my Asterisk server, they're pricier than the budget models and were initially a bit fiddly to sort our the firmware issues but they work beyond my expectations - the speakphone is particularly good. A good UK supplier is www.voiptalk.org - they sell VoIP gear and I use them for call termination as well.