Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve?

Posted by: Robotic

Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 16/12/2005 22:15

Just curious what folks have planned- celebrate or sit at home?

Me?
I'm taking the girl to the Hornet.
Gonna dance up a storm!
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 16/12/2005 23:28

Sit at home !
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 17/12/2005 01:42

Looks like a fun night for you!
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 17/12/2005 02:24

Got to drum up something, but I've lost touch with so many of my friends, and haven't replaced them with new ones. Must restart my social life somehow, once I tear down some serious barriers.....
Posted by: StigOE

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 17/12/2005 03:39

I have to work...

Stig
Posted by: andy

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 17/12/2005 07:16

Eryl and I are paying the most we have ever spent on a hotel room (£350, ouch!) to stay at the hotel in the old County Hall building on the Thames.

http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/LONCH

I just hope that the fireworks on the Thames are as good as last years, otherwise there won't be much to see from our balcony room...

But it looks promising:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4456482.stm

P.S. this is very much atypical for us, we are normally at home by ourselves on New Years Eve, recovering from Christmas
Posted by: tman

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 17/12/2005 11:17

Quote:
Eryl and I are paying the most we have ever spent on a hotel room (£350, ouch!) to stay at the hotel in the old County Hall building on the Thames.

Nice! Expensive but should be good.

Not 100% sure what I'm doing for New Year at the moment. Thankfully I don't need to work that night this year.
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 17/12/2005 12:51

My wife and I are inviting a stack of friends over for an 80's themed party, completely with karaoke. I'll be wearing a Devo hat. This may generate embarassing pictures, but it should be fun.
Posted by: andym

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 17/12/2005 14:42

For the first time in quite a few years I won't be having New Years at my parents. This year will probably be spent at home waiting for my phone to ring to tell me our POS windows-based playout server has gone tits up. To which I will tell them I've had a drink (even if I haven't) and kindly inform them they should've considered the VPN solution I suggested so I could remotely toggle the SNMP controlled MDU I said we should've got too.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 17/12/2005 20:31

Taking it very easy - expecting another little froglet in June, so SWMBO is not drinking...and it won't be any fun drinking on my own.

Still - this will be the last, any more and I'd need to change cars and I am not prepared to do that! So I'm looking forward to next year
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 17/12/2005 23:44

Big pajama party at the home of a friend and Amazon employee.
Posted by: loren

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 18/12/2005 06:26

Quote:
a friend and Amazon employee.

Slight thread jack, but just noticing something. It's funny how us "geeks" company drop. I catch myself doing it all the time when talking about my buddy Brett that works at Pixar. But I almost never company drop my other best buddy who works at Tippet, 'cause not many know what Tippet is.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 18/12/2005 06:48

Hmm. Interesting. However, I think that's it's less starfucking (like celebrity namedropping) than the fact that we think that company X is cool in some way and, therefore, that our friend is cool by proxy. Perhaps signficantly moreso than he would be without it, what with being a geek and all.

So, how's Wil doing?

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 18/12/2005 16:44

Quote:
But I almost never company drop my other best buddy who works at Tippet, 'cause not many know what Tippet is.

Dude. That's cooler than Pixar.

I guess the reason I company-dropped is because he has Amazon-themed parties sometimes, and that was on my mind when I thought about the New Year's party.
Posted by: russmeister

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 18/12/2005 16:51

I'm going to be in a wedding. A good friend of mine thought it would be a great idea to get married on New Year's Eve.

I don't think I'll have a problem partying in a tux.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 18/12/2005 17:09

Good friends of mine give a very informal and unassuming New Year party for those who don't go anywhere else for last 20 or so years. The atmosphere is pleasantly relaxed, of "nibbling, sipping, perhaps puffing and having nice conversation" type. They are both good cooks, and most guests bring something of their own culinary creations, so food is generally excellent, too.
Posted by: julf

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 18/12/2005 17:26

Heading into NY to see some friends, maybe see a play on New Years Day if Broadway is open...
Posted by: peter

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 18/12/2005 17:59

Quote:
I guess the reason I company-dropped is because he has Amazon-themed parties sometimes

Cool. You could say "Normally parties within 10-14 working days" on the invitations, and then when nobody knows when the party is you could send round another email saying "We thought you'd like to know that your party is dispatching soon", the day after the party was actually held...

Peter

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 19/12/2005 06:05

Heh, I'll have to use that one next time he holds one.
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 19/12/2005 06:09

I'm going to stay off the highways. Be careful out there you guys...

I'll probably be playing online poker with a bunch of drunks. Yeah, that's a good idea: drinking and gambling! Fridays and Saturdays are the best nights for me for the same reason...

Jim
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 19/12/2005 08:07

The other half and I are off to Sydney for new years...
Posted by: Laura

Re: Whatcha doin' for New Year's Eve? - 20/12/2005 00:42

Going to a bar somewhere to find a guy to kiss at midnight, unless I get called into work.