Futurama to come back?

Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Futurama to come back? - 05/01/2006 21:25

That's the rumor.

I for one would be happy! I need me some Bender!
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Futurama to come back? - 05/01/2006 21:27

Oh please let this be true. I'd heard rumours before so I won't get too excited but please please let it be true!
Posted by: robricc

Re: Futurama to come back? - 05/01/2006 21:39

I didn't think it would ever happen! It's about effing time.

I wasn't aware Futurama was doing well in reruns or DVD sales. I assumed the biggest fans got their DVDs from Europe since they were released there first. I know I did...

Re: Futurama to come back? - 05/01/2006 21:42

Actually Matt Groening should stop The Simpsons and move all resources to Futurama. The latest Simpsons are dire Been going downhil since series 12/13 I'd say.

Re: Futurama to come back? - 05/01/2006 21:44

Quote:
Actually Matt Groening should stop The Simpsons and move all resources to Futurama. The latest Simpsons are dire Been going downhil since series 12/13 I'd say.

I agree The Simpsons have gone way downhill. I still don't miss new episodes though.

Re: Futurama to come back? - 05/01/2006 21:48

Oh yeah I still watch each and every episode. Hoping for that one show that will remind me why I loved it in the first place. It must be hard to come up with ideas though. Some of the fan's scripts are pretty good - its a shame they can't use them.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Futurama to come back? - 05/01/2006 22:29

I've just tried a few times to write how excited I am about this. I can't do it. Just know that I am very excited...
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Futurama to come back? - 05/01/2006 22:39

This reminds me there was a poll on Adult Swim's main page asking which cancelled show people wanted to see new episodes of most. Futurama won hands down! I too would love new episodes of Futurama.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Futurama to come back? - 07/01/2006 02:53

Futurama has been better than the Simpsons since its premier episode back in 1999. The Simpsons still has its moments, but some of the stuff lately just isn't funny. Or has plot lines that are incoherent. I'd love to see Futurama return. Maybe I should buy some DVDs to help those sales numbers.

Good Saturday morning type cartoons are long gone from the airwaves, but I'm glad there's a good supply of more adult-oriented fare. I still love South Park, Family Guy, King of the Hill and American Dad. Not to mention Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Bromwell High, Home Movies (I don't know why, but I just do..) I suppose I also like Justice League Unlimited though the channel showing up here in Toronto never shows them in order.

Sorry to go off topic. Yes, bring on Futurama!

Bruno

Re: Futurama to come back? - 07/01/2006 04:57

You are right on every point there (except I don't really like Home Movies).

Someone needs to slap the people who handle Justice League. I can't get enough of that show...and it looks like it's cancelled. There are four unaired episodes apparently, and I have not idea if they'll show them.

Re: Futurama to come back? - 07/01/2006 15:23

I used to love Aqua Teen, but that was just because I had run out of Futurama and Family Guy episodes. I hadn't started watching eitherof those shows until they were already cancelled and I could Tivo them off of Cartoon Network. Aqua Teen has something special to it, but it was just filling a void left by those other shows. I just feel like recently they hired the writers that ran Sealab 2021 into the ground. The characters are great, but the writing seems lazy at times...

Too bad DVD's weren't out in the early 90s. We might have gotten Twin Peaks back!
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Futurama to come back? - 07/01/2006 16:37

I did find this:

Quote:
Fans hoping to see new episodes of Cartoon Network's Justice League Unlimited in the new year are going to have to wait a while longer.
According to a representative of the network, plans are for the show to return in late spring/summer. No definitive dates have been scheduled.
According to Continuum sources, the show's future also remains undecided.

It was the only thing I could find about JLU's status.

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/01/2006 17:43

Saw this today...

http://www.peelified.com/cgi-bin/Futurama/1-004653-1/
Posted by: ricin

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/01/2006 17:48

Original here: http://www.billywest.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1685&PN=1&TPN=4

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/01/2006 18:08

Thanks for that. Was unsure what the original link was.

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/01/2006 18:09

That's great news! I didn't think Fox would bring back the series in primetime, so this makes more sense. Still great news!

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/01/2006 18:32

And if successful..... a new series??

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/01/2006 18:50

Here's hoping! My guess is for Adult Swim. I'd imagine it would be very successful there.

I'm wondering how the story would be handled. I loved how they wrapped up the series.

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/01/2006 21:42

Quote:
And if successful..... a new series??

I'm hoping for the series too... movies are cool, but even as much of a Family Guy fan as I am, I've never purchased the Stewie movie on DVD.

Re: Futurama to come back? - 21/01/2006 13:27

You hit the nail on the head. I don't think DVD-direct movies are going to do nearly as well as the TV show on DVD. People buy the season DVDs because they've watched the TV show and because it's jammed full of episodes. A 2 hour movie may not capture people's attention/interest based solely on nostalgia and a couple of advertisements.

King of the Hill is ending this season and Fox's line-up doesn't look very good (but neither does anyone else's I suppose). Futurama would make a good replacement come the fall.

Bruno

Re: Futurama to come back? - 21/01/2006 14:26

I'd be quite happy to pay them to make new episodes!

Re: Futurama to come back? - 21/01/2006 15:21

Quote:
King of the Hill is ending this season and Fox's line-up doesn't look very good (but neither does anyone else's I suppose). Futurama would make a good replacement come the fall.

That would be ironic. Futurama always lost out to King of the Hill on Sundays due to football games. They'd always drop Futurama but God forbid people miss their King of the Hill!

Sorry, but I really dislike that show and don't find it funny the least. Then when you compare it to Futurama, it mystifies me as to why it's still on the air.

Re: Futurama to come back? - 21/01/2006 17:38

I like King of the Hill. Always have. Can't say which I like more though. Personally I'd drop football in an instant for anything else. When it's time for a regularly scheduled program to start and football is running a bit late into the 4th... Pzzzt. Too bad. Go pick up a radio or hit the internet.

The premiere of 24 ran late thanks to football. WTF? It's bad enough presidential addresses stomp onto practically every US-based channel (really, it only needs to be on one).

TV has been odder thanusualy over the past few years. What with so many networks proclaiming their shows "#1" (who the hell actually watches Ghost Whisperer?) - they in fact don't have a true representation of the popularity of their programs. At least not if rrelying on the traditional Nielson families. You'd thihnk they'd know that by now - Family Guy getting cancelled and brought back twice and all.

Bruno

Re: Futurama to come back? - 21/01/2006 21:38

Quote:
traditional Nielson families

That's been bugging me recently. I'm hoping that they don't still rely on those boxes. Let's see, out of all the people that I've known in my entire life, I've only ever heard of one person who had a Nielson box (one of my college professors). Fortunately he was a cool guy with great taste, but it made me wonder what kind of information they can gather. I mean, you'd think I'd know of more than one person getting one.

Oh, and I love football. I just hated that instead of delaying the whole lineup, they always just skipped Futurama. They'd also play whatever crappy placeholding show was on between Simpsons and X-Files.

Ah, I remember that short period where Futurama, Simpsons, and X-Files were all on on the same night. I miss those days...
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Futurama to come back? - 22/01/2006 02:59

Quote:
I'm hoping that they don't still rely on those boxes.

My old roommate was recruited by Nielsen or a similar company a couple years ago to monitor his TV watching for a week. They didn't even give him a box. He was asked to record the time and channel for everything he watched. I don't think they even wanted the show name. Of course we where watching most shows off the Replay TV at that point so the whole thing was pointless.

-Mike
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Futurama to come back? - 22/01/2006 17:18

I mean, you'd think I'd know of more than one person getting one.

Hmmm... not necessarily. Let's do the math.

US population =~300,000,000. Let's say that Nielson feels that they need to sample 10,000 people to get a valid reading.

That means that only 1 in 30,000 people is being sampled.

Your home town of San Carlos has about 28,000 people in it, and the average household size in San Carlos is 2.94 people, meaning that San Carlos would qualify for about a third of one Nielson respondent. Chances are you knew the only one in town.

tanstaafl.

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/03/2006 14:37

New rumor. Looks like the DVDs may have been put aside while Futurama returns to television with 26 new episodes.

Link
Posted by: tman

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/03/2006 15:41

Billy West has retracted the rumor now

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/03/2006 17:39

You'd think Fox would jump at the opportunity to put it back on TV. With only two hours of network programming per night, they still can't find enough content to fill all their time slots. At least not without resorting to CRAP like those America's Most Extreme Top Nanny Makeover shows.

Bruno

Re: Futurama to come back? - 20/03/2006 19:49

Thanks for the reminder. A new Super Nanny is on tonight!
Posted by: music

Re: Futurama to come back? - 23/06/2006 17:50

Boys and Girls,

Pour yourself some ice-cold Slurm at Elzar's, crank up the Spice Weasel
and prepare to kiss my shiny metal ass.

Rumors confirmed... We're back!

May Morbo's family continue to be belligerent and numerous, you Puny Earthlings!

Re: Futurama to come back? - 23/06/2006 17:56

WoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooHooooooooooooooooooooo!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Futurama to come back? - 23/06/2006 18:24

You should have started the post with "Good news, everyone!"
Posted by: music

Re: Futurama to come back? - 23/06/2006 20:10

Quote:
You should have started the post with "Good news, everyone!"

You are absolutely correct!
My brain was searching for that, but didn't find it. It's been too long.
As far as comedy: no Futurama, no Buffy, just mostly a wasteland of sitcoms with laugh tracks and "reality" shows.

I did have one comedy show to tide me through.
I (finally) discovered The Office (American version).
Man, that show is HILARIOUS. Plus, no laugh track!
Of course, that is probably because a lot of the humor comes from various painfully uncomfortable silences....

Mike
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Futurama to come back? - 23/06/2006 22:37

No, "Good news, everyone" would be the start to a post telling us that all of the Futurama negatives disintegrated immediately after all the world's copies of the DVD spontaneously combusted.
Posted by: lectric

Re: Futurama to come back? - 24/06/2006 01:15

Agreed, The Office is wonderful. The british version is funny too, but not as much to me, it just seems to be a lot darker humour.
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Futurama to come back? - 24/06/2006 12:08

I just can't do the office. I guess it just hits too close to home at times

I LOVE "My Name is Earl" though . . .

Re: Futurama to come back? - 24/06/2006 13:28

Agree on both accounts (wow's treading onto another thread now )

This is much better news than simply making a few Futurama direct-to-video movies. I just wonder how long it will be before we get the episodes premiered in Canada. We're pretty far behind with South Park for instance.

Now I just have to see Undergrads come back for a second season (the first was in 2001 and the creator is trying to bring it back). Of course I'd also love to see Bromwell High continued and I hope they continue to make many more episodes of the Boondocks.

I watch a few episodes of Futurama every week (on the Canadian Teletoon channel) and it's consistently better than every Simpsons episode (always has been as far as I'm concerned). Just to go on yet another tangent, I really wonder what they'll do to prevent a complete yawner with the Simpsons movie they're working on.

Bruno

Re: Futurama to come back? - 25/06/2006 03:45

I was also insanely excited to hear this news. I hope it does really well and it keeps going for a while. Still, I wonder what they'll do with the Fry/Leela situation. After all, I didn't like that the show ended, but I loved how they handled their relationship in the final season. The bee sting episode (and the finale, of course) are great in that regard.

Oh, and as far as TV comedy goes, there's definitely been a wasteland out there, but there have been an oasis or two. The ones mentioned are good, as well as Arrested Development. I've found I watch a lot more TV drama these days.