Raleigh is the smartest city in the US!

Posted by: wfaulk

Raleigh is the smartest city in the US! - 13/10/2009 19:47

Suck that, non-nerds!

Of course, I don't know how much weight I should give a list put on a site with, quite possibly, the worst web design ever.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Raleigh is the smartest city in the US! - 14/10/2009 05:26

Hmm..Phoenix is 49. Yikes.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Raleigh is the smartest city in the US! - 14/10/2009 10:45

D.C. is a respectable 8th (well, tie for 7th). I wonder if they count the various technology corridors in Virginia, as those people most likely don't live in the city its self. In fact it's such a commuter city to begin with that I wonder how they "calculate" this.
Posted by: Tim

Re: Raleigh is the smartest city in the US! - 14/10/2009 11:42

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
Hmm..Phoenix is 49. Yikes.

I bet we get dinged because of people not understanding English so they guess the wrong answer.

Biased list! wink
Posted by: Robotic

Re: Raleigh is the smartest city in the US! - 14/10/2009 15:27

Hmm, Bay Area for the number 2 slot.

slideshow lists suck. Lucky there was a 'view all' option.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Raleigh is the smartest city in the US! - 14/10/2009 15:33

I liked the photo they used for Seattle. Shots from Queen Anne Hill like that are popular and common, but not many capture the sunset and Mt. Rainier that well. I'd like to find a large-format version of the photo.

Edit: This one is more dramatic, but it's not very common to see things actually looking like that. The one from the article is a fairly good representative picture of what the skyline looks like when the sunset turns it to gold.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Raleigh is the smartest city in the US! - 14/10/2009 20:44

Originally Posted By: tfabris
I liked the photo they used for Seattle.

It's OK, I guess... but I like the one I took better. (attached)

July 17, 2005. Fuji FinePix 6900, f5.6, ISO 200, took a wild guess at the exposure, I think it was around 8 seconds, the camera was balanced on a rock wall with pebbles under the lens to point it the right direction, used the self-timer to reduce vibration. Took me three tries to get the picture. (2-second, 4-second, finally 8-second exposure). I was pleased with the result, but regret not shooting at higher resolution (shot at 1280x960) but was at the end of a trip (empeg meet in Amersfoort) and was pretty much out of room on the Fuji's proprietary memory card, so I was rationing the bits and bytes.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Raleigh is the smartest city in the US! - 14/10/2009 20:52

Yeah, I remember that one, and it's one of my favorite *night* shots of Seattle. The thing that struck me about the other one was how well it captured what *sunset* looks like on the city.