Karma status summary, advice?

Posted by: bonzi

Karma status summary, advice? - 22/11/2004 14:37

Hi all!

Can somebody give me a short summary of status and expected future of Karma? (BTW, is there somewhere Karma FAQ, even close to Tony's empeg one?) I see that 40GB model does not seem to be being out (at least soon), and Peter got me worried by using "was going to" tense, rather than "is going to" speaking of a feature of RMM back in empeg part.

So, what does one who would like to have a "pocket empeg" do? Wait? Buy a Karma while it is still around and make do with 20GB? Consider something else?

BTW, nobody seems to be selling Rio stuff back home in Croatia. Here in Paris Karma seems to be close to 300 EUR. Would that be a more or less 'normal' price?

Thanks and sorry for not searching this branch of the BBS thoroughly before firing the question
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 22/11/2004 15:19

The Karma FAQ is over at Riovolution.

There will be no Karma 40gb, I think they scrapped plans for that in favor of making their next hard drive portable be 40gb plus more features and a smaller form-factor. I don't know the timetable on the next product.
Posted by: tahir

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 22/11/2004 16:52

300 Euros would be about right, the UK street price is 200-220 GBP
Posted by: webroach

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 22/11/2004 19:47

Quote:
I think they scrapped plans for that in favor of making their next hard drive portable be 40gb plus more features and a smaller form-factor.

40GB.......size of...size of Carbon.... <SWOON>

Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 22/11/2004 21:51

Please! Be careful! I am sure some <expletive delighted> pre-teen on the Riovolution board will see this thread and start a rumor that "Rio is soon coming out with some great new device (call it 'Rio Toast') that will be so much more spectacular that anything else out there, so do not buy any Rio products now or you will regret it." and spread this rumor to every trade rag that will listen. Not that this kind of thing has happened before... : )

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 23/11/2004 03:24

Are you kidding?!?! I was on my way to plant just such a seed in their ears just this very moment. The Toast™ will also have a full color, 3D (without glasses) screen, direct temporal lobe inteconnect, and a button that will make poorly ripped tracks sound as sweet as sweet sweet clover honey. All protected in the thinnest carbon fibre body you've seen this side of "2 Fast 2 Furious".

I can't wait.
Posted by: Cris

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 23/11/2004 05:42

Quote:
...will also have a full color, 3D (without glasses) screen, direct temporal lobe inteconnect...

Yea, well my Daddy says he has already done this last year, smaller and better, so nuuurrrrrr

Cheers

Cris

PS - Doh! Posted that to the wrong board
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 02/12/2004 16:30

Quote:
and a button that will make poorly ripped tracks sound as sweet as sweet sweet clover honey
And how exactly would that work with a track of Creed?
Posted by: tman

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 02/12/2004 18:15

Easy. It'd mute it

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 03/12/2004 15:14

Quote:
Easy. It'd mute it

Heh. You must have the pre-release beta version? They've added the "Send Team Of Kill-Bots To Band's Home" option. It's under Menu -> Settings -> General -> Sh*tty Band Options

Posted by: JeffS

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 03/12/2004 15:59

Quote:
They've added the "Send Team Of Kill-Bots To Band's Home" option.
Hmmm, perhaps I ought to rethink this CD release thing . . .

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 03/12/2004 16:01

Naw, the worst that can happen is this.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 03/12/2004 17:00

Damn, that site has no (read: zero) informational content on its index page. It's also using images like mad and the nly things you can click on are video links and a T-Shirt order button. Looks promising when it first loaded... No missions statement..

Bruno

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 03/12/2004 17:33

Just watch the video and all will become clear.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 03/12/2004 20:25

That's a good one. Also I am proud to say I haven't heard of most of those bands or whatever they are.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Karma status summary, advice? - 04/12/2004 14:23

The videos were good. But they definitely need a bit more text otherwise I'm sure a lot of people won't bother with the videos. At least something to say that the videos are the whole point.

Unfortunately I don't think he'll manage to convince anyone.

Bruno