How many people use the beeps?

Posted by: genixia

How many people use the beeps? - 03/04/2003 22:09

Since I'm currently working sinewave support into hijack, I've had the reason to actually turn the beep volume up whilst debugging. It was one of those features that I turned off very soon after getting my empeg - certainly before it ever got installed into my car.

I've discovered though that the beep feature is well designed - different tone beeps can help you with eyes-off navigation. So I've since turned them back on in DC mode.

Now I've just realised that nothing in the hijack menu beeps, and furthermore, that extensions to allow the hijack menu (and derivatives like Popup0 and friends) shouldn't be too difficult to implement. And they should be able to use the player settings too, so if you currently have them turned off then it shouldn't cause an issue.

So my question is; Is it worth my time? I'm obviously busy with the sinewave code at the moment, and after that I'm probably going to tackle native DSP bass and treble. But if people want this, then I'll add it to my TODO list.

Usage of Player Beeps
I love them, and generally use them all the time
I use them in the car, but not on AC power
I use them on AC power, but not in the car
I hate them with a passion. No thanks

Posted by: Daria

Re: How many people use the beeps? - 03/04/2003 22:16

You left out the "what the heck are you talking about?" option.

I noticed the beeps, and just sort of tuned them out.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: How many people use the beeps? - 03/04/2003 22:54

But if people want this, then I'll add it to my TODO list.
Just so long as it's at the end of the To Do list. I'm dying to get my hands on the other stuff on your list, first.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: How many people use the beeps? - 03/04/2003 23:15

I'm looking for the "I turned em' off and forgot about 'em, certainly don't hate 'em" category.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: How many people use the beeps? - 03/04/2003 23:19

Thats the one I wanted
Posted by: BartDG

Re: How many people use the beeps? - 04/04/2003 03:00

I'm looking for the "I turned em' off and forgot about 'em, certainly don't hate 'em" category.

Agreed. I still went for the "I hate them with a passion" option because that option came the closest to my settings (not using them entirely), but the quoted option is actually spot on.
Posted by: FlibblE

Re: How many people use the beeps? - 04/04/2003 05:55

I used to have em turned off too. I thought who the hell would want an annoying bleep everyime you press a button?! Then I came across the option in the menu and decided to try it out - they've been on ever since!
Posted by: tms13

Re: How many people use the beeps? - 04/04/2003 08:47

Normally, I hate beeps, but the Empeg ones are so much better than any other HU I've seen. Not only do they have different tones for different meanings, but having 11 steps of adjustment means that they can be unobtrusive. Every other stereo I've used with bleeps has had them so loud they scare me.

I used to always have bleeps on AC (where I use the remote a lot) and not in the car where (where it annoys passengers and makes me look like a luzer). But I haven't got round to re-enabling them after making a bunch of cassette tapes for minibus trips (don't want any beeps on the tape).

What I am saying is - Genixia, if you add bleep support to Hijack, make sure it read's the player's beep-level setting and match it.
Posted by: cwillenbrock

Re: How many people use the beeps? - 04/04/2003 09:37

It's ironic that you should bring this up now, since I had beeps disabled pretty much from the start..but I "rediscovered" that option a couple of days ago and turned them back on.

I'm still considering whether or not I like them enough now.
Posted by: genixia

Re: How many people use the beeps? - 04/04/2003 10:20

Genixia, if you add bleep support to Hijack, make sure it read's the player's beep-level setting and match it.

No Probs Bob.