Better fast-forward/rewind

Posted by: dionysus

Better fast-forward/rewind - 11/05/2000 09:00

Hey,

I have alot (6 gb) of large, live mp3 recordings (100 mb files..), which are very cumbersome to fast forward/rewind on... I know I can split up the files using mp3splitter or other programs and fast forward as in through tracks, but I really dont' like to do that.. Would it be possible to have the forward/backwards buttons on a sliding scale, going faster then more you hold it down? Or maybe a seperate function that would jump forwards/backwards in 5 minute increments on a file... As it is, it takes nearly 1-2 minute just to fast forward/rewind 15 minutes worth of music..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units
Posted by: debauch

Re: Better fast-forward/rewind - 11/05/2000 10:47

Would it be possible to have the forward/backwards buttons on a sliding scale, going faster then more you hold it down?

I'll go with this one. I've got a lot of audio books which are in 30 to 40 minute chunks. A speedy fast forward would be very handy.

Nick.

Posted by: Dearing

Re: Better fast-forward/rewind - 12/05/2000 08:41

I hate to keep bringing this up, but this would also be a perfect opportunity to use macros. You could store a macro with 100 FF or RW commands (I think that's 5 minutes) and store it in a number key on the remote.
If you can't tell, I'm waiting anxiously for macro support...

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."
Posted by: altman

Re: Better fast-forward/rewind - 12/05/2000 09:47

A macro wouldn't actually work in that situation: ff/rew is a mode, not a command. We have implemented acellerating ff/rew in some of our other projects, so I suspect it'll make it into the empeg-car before long.

Hugo

Posted by: Henno

Re: Better fast-forward/rewind - 12/05/2000 10:41

We have implemented acellerating ff/rew in some of our other projects

Hugo, out of curiosity: does this also imply that you have Variable Bit Rate under control ?

Henno
# 00120

Re: Better fast-forward/rewind - 12/05/2000 14:38

We have it better under control than it was before :)

ID3v2 has also been done (hey, I did some useful non-kernel & non-assembler work for a change!) but it's not been fitted into emplode yet - but you can be sure it'll be in later releases of emplode. You'll also get remaining time, bitrate (or average bitrate for VBR's) & that sort of stuff.

Hugo

Posted by: dionysus

Re: Better fast-forward/rewind - 12/05/2000 15:10

Nice :-)
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Better fast-forward/rewind - 12/05/2000 15:13

(Tony's head explodes with joy.)

Cool beans, Hugo!

Question about ID3v2...

Are you planning on implementing any fields besides the corresponding ID3v1 tags? For example, relative volume?

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144
Posted by: Lord Bleys

Re: Better fast-forward/rewind - 12/05/2000 17:49

Fascinating. I await the opportunity to observe this long-desired and newly-produced phenomenon.

=]

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca
Posted by: Henno

Re: Better fast-forward/rewind - 13/05/2000 02:49

You'll also get remaining time . .
Great !

. . bitrate (or average bitrate for VBR's)
Nice!

. . . . ID3v2 has also been done
Beautiful !

. . . . . . & that sort of stuff.
Can't wait

Thanks

Henno
# 00120

Re: Better fast-forward/rewind - 13/05/2000 03:45

Currently nothing but the ID3v1 tags (but without the length restrictions, etc). Still, it's easier to add now that the base support is in there.

Hugo