Simple Tweak order request.

Posted by: genixia

Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 06:19

Ok, this minor annoyance has bugged me since I first got my empeg, but hasn't been significant enough to remember to ask before:

Can we get the 'Purge' buttons to display "Matching Items Purged" instead of "Matching Items Found" ?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 07:32

AOL
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 09:34

OK, since you bitch-ranted me a couple weeks ago about the user titles, I think it's time for my ABR, or Acronym Bitch Rant. (pause for irony)

"AOL" is America Online. I realize that in this context it means "Already On List" (or at least I think so.) However, this is a blatant example of acronym abuse. How hard is it to type "already on list?" or even "on the list?" Nobody looks at "AOL" and thinks "Already On List." What people say when they (ab)use acronyms like this is that their 5 seconds of time to type out the full meaning is worth more than the >=5 seconds * hundreds of people that are going to think AOL, realize that you're not talking about America Online, and then figure out what it really means. This is lazy at best, arrogant at worst.

As a side rant, my latest acronym pet peeve (a spot formerly held by nested acronyms like "JAX-RPC") is people who use variations on "IANAL" or "I Am Not a Lawyer." This is especially common on Slashdot. IANAL is a quasi-well-known acronym that doesn't need to be expanded... As in "IANAL, but that's illegal." But then people want to use it for other professions.. So they say "IANAP" but because that could mean "I Am Not a Programmer" or "I Am Not a Petunia," they then have to write out the expansion of the acronym, thereby defeating the whole purpose of using the fscking acronym. It's all in an effort to (ab)use a cool trendy acronym, but defeats the whole purpose of using one in the first place.

And yes, it took me much longer to rant about this than it did for me to figure out what you meant, but you caught me in a ranting mood.
Posted by: peter

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 09:45

figure out what it really means

Um, he did mean America Online. Does this dent your point in any way?

Peter

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 09:48

Umm... How exactly does AOL fit into a request to change the text of the tweak order display on the player software?

Anyway, I wasn't trying to make much of a point, just ranting.

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 09:49

http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/AOL!.html

I thought that one was more well-known than IANAL, but then IANALexicographer

Peter

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 09:57

Ahh. I am well-versed on the tendency of AOL newbies to shout "me too" and have seen the <AOL> </AOL> syntax... But didn't know that AOL had morphed into a full-blown synonym for "me too." Must have missed a memo somewhere.

Okay, strike that portion of my rant from the records, but I still hate acronym abuse.

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 10:05

AOL

FITNR

Peter

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 10:06

AOL

FITNR

LOL

You had to know that one was coming...
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 10:22

OK, since you bitch-ranted me a couple weeks ago about the user titles

By the way, I meant that particular post in a kidding, jesting, all-in-good-fun kind of way. I hope you didn't think I was really pissed off about it. It's so hard to convey irony or sarcasm in printed text.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 10:26

More often than not, I see the acronym IANA followed by a profession, with the specialized case of ``IANAL'' for ``IANA Lawyer'', sometimes (often?) with the space dropped. Unfortunately, IANA also stands for ``Internet Assigned Number Authority'', and while I can't think of way to confuse those right now, there's bound to be a way.

(How about ``I don't think it's legal to hijack a reserved IP address, but IANA IANA lawyer.''? )

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 10:36

Duly noted.

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 10:38

I like it. Almost on par with the triply-nested acronym SRK.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 14:20

Yeah, I was (and still am) confused.

After a couple of minutes I decided AOL meant "Added on List", and was happy. Then you confused me further by suggesting it meant "Already on List". But, hey. it's on the list, I'm still happy. Just confused

And Peter has FITNR'd it.... thanks! (Hmm...I hope BItt's not reading...)

Now I just need to find out what LOL means!
Posted by: jaharkes

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 14:29

jaharkes@ravel:~$ wtf lol
LOL: laughing out loud
Posted by: drakino

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 16:57

Look at that, another Unix command I didn't know about and need to incorporate into daily use. Thanks.
Posted by: jets

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 02/10/2002 19:39

this whole thread has me laffin' ....AOL, LOL
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Simple Tweak order request. - 03/10/2002 07:32

Is that a real command? Can I get it for linux? If so where?
Posted by: jaharkes

Re: wtf - 03/10/2002 07:44

debian has it in the bsdgames package, which seems to be a standard set of text based games that they pretty much install by default.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: wtf - 03/10/2002 14:36

thanx...I'll take a look