"Hate Year" not working?

Posted by: tms13

"Hate Year" not working? - 20/11/2002 08:53

A long press of "Year" (6) on my Rio remote doesn't seem to work for me. A short press works to queue up another song from the same year, but the long press doesn't have any effect. Long press of other buttons (Source, Artist, etc) work as expected (with the exception of Title, but that's a known limitation).

I have a playlist that's arranged chronologically, and I expected to be able to quickly get to the time period I wanted within the playlist by using Hate Year a dozen or so times - instead, I needed 120 presses of Next.

Can anyone confirm this as a bug?
Posted by: tonyc

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 20/11/2002 15:23

Same here. Nice catch.
Posted by: rob

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 20/11/2002 17:14

(Slightly off topic..)

Out of interest, which "hate" functions do you commonly use? I'm adding them into another product at the moment and am currently planning on just artist, album and genre. I don't want to overload the menu that they show up on, so it would be good to include only the ones that are most useful.

Rob
Posted by: genixia

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 20/11/2002 20:06

Personally I think those 3 you just mention pretty much cover it. I find 'year' less useful as a tweak for a few reasons;

1) cddb and other online tag information don't always have accurate 'year' tags, so not all my tracks have the year. OK, so that is my laziness, but still.
2) Compilations and mix albums usually suffer from the 'year' being tagged as year of compilation.
3) I rarely find that I want to listen to more or less music from the same year. Maybe more or less from the same 'Era', but I guess that's too fuzzy to tweak.

OTOH, I often find myself (not) in the mood for a particular artist, genre, or (to a lesser extent) album..

Posted by: tfabris

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 20/11/2002 22:02

Note that the FAQ Entry doesn't specifically say that Hate Year works. It says it works for artist, album, and genre.

It doesn't go out of its way to say hate year DOESN'T work, even though I knew it didn't at the time of the writing, but I thought that maybe it might get added in a later version so I deliberately left it vague.

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 21/11/2002 06:36

In reply to:

It doesn't go out of its way to say hate year DOESN'T work, even though I knew it didn't at the time of the writing, but I thought that maybe it might get added in a later version so I deliberately left it vague.

Studiously not mentioning Tweak by Title, either, I notice. You think of everything, Tony. I hereby award you a Smug Git trophy in recognition.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 21/11/2002 10:21

In reply to:

I hereby award you a Smug Git trophy in recognition.

I get the general idea, but would someone like to explait what a 'git' is?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 21/11/2002 11:19

git
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 21/11/2002 11:47

Come to think of it, Hugh Grant calls his flatmate a git in Notting Hill. Glad to finally know what it is.

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 21/11/2002 11:57

Git - probably related to "begotten" etc. AFAIK, originally meaning "bastard", but now a more general (and milder) term of abuse, the literal meaning being long since lost. Not something to take great offence at.
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 21/11/2002 16:13

Whenever I read or hear the noun Git it always reminds me of Alf and Fred Git by Harry Enfield
Posted by: svferris

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 21/11/2002 22:57

Think the first time I ever heard "git" was in the Argument sketch from Monty Python. When he's leaving the abuse room, the guy calls him a "stupid git".
Posted by: drakino

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 29/11/2002 22:14

Out of interest, which "hate" functions do you commonly use?

I'd probably use a hate year function if it could span more then one year. For the empeg, a config.ini settable range, including decade, or +/-5 type setting would be nice. Not sure how feasable that would be for other products though.
Posted by: Lemmy

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 11/12/2002 04:39

speaking of 'later versions'.... any news on the next beta?

bye,
[L]
Posted by: tonyc

Re: "Hate Year" not working? - 11/12/2002 12:54

speaking of 'later versions'.... any news on the next beta?

If I were a betting man I'd bet on a release on or around December 25th.

disclaimer: I have no inside knowledge of anything whatsoever.