"Played" flag being cleared with player On/Off

Posted by: svferris

"Played" flag being cleared with player On/Off - 11/12/2001 00:24

I've noticed that if I turn off the player (such as shutting off the car or unplugging it from home), when I start it up again and it resumes playing the last song that was on, the "played" flag (Number of plays) didn't register the current play.

To put that a little clearer, let's say I'm playing a song and when it starts, it registers that it was played once. I turn off the engine and go to the store. When I come back and startup the car, the empeg resumes the song, but the counter is back at zero again.

I'm not absolutely sure this happens EVERY time, but I see it a lot. Can anybody help classify this bug and the steps to reproduce?

It's on 2.0b3.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: "Played" flag being cleared with player On/Off - 11/12/2001 10:51

Good catch. Stuck this one in the internal bug list just to make sure it got seen. It may have already been fixed in a recent build, I don't know.
Posted by: drakino

Re: "Played" flag being cleared with player On/Off - 11/12/2001 18:15

I was seeing this a bit, along with the occasional double count under the same situation. I was trying to look into it more, and had forgotten to post about it. It does seem to happen more often when the song is in the forst portion.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: "Played" flag being cleared with player On/Off - 11/12/2001 22:35

Tony, would you be able to tell us whether or not the play count is incremented at 5 seconds in the newest alphas or if the position has been altered? Shouldn't be a big NDA point I think.

This position would be better implemented as a percentage of the song length, rather than a specific #. Of course that then adds a bit of extra calculation. I find that 5 seconds is a bit too short and ends up increasing counters when I'm skipping around at a slow pace (or when I can't concentrate on the display and need to listen to a bit of the song to make up my mind).

Bruno
Posted by: tonyc

Re: "Played" flag being cleared with player On/Off - 12/12/2001 08:10

This was asked for in another thread that I can't seem to find in a search for some reason. I agree. The best solution proposed (not by me) was:

Increment "plays" only if you've listened to 3/4 of the song
Increment "skipped" only if you've skipped it before 1/4 of the song has played.

At least I think that's how it went. 1/3 and 2/3 would work as well. Times Skipped isn't currently implemented anyway, but it allegedly will be Real Soon Now.