Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | Software | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs | Addons: Eutronix | Cases

Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Furewall by Dignan @ Today at 02:48

Ah yes, sorry, I misunderstood what you were looking for.
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Furewall by Taym @ Yesterday at 22:33

Thank you canuckInOR. It looks like I should probably go with either the NetGate SG-3100 (I spec'd it at $442) or the Protectli FW6C (I spec'd it at $568). Each having pros and cons. I am looking at some youtube videos about setup, gui, and hopefu
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Furewall by canuckInOR @ Yesterday at 20:41

With respect to the Protectli box, they recommend either the FW6B or FW6C for 1Gbps throughput requirements. I'm only at 100Mbps, and have had no issues with the cheaper machine. BTW, Protectli can also run pfSense, if you don't want to shell out f
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Furewall by Taym @ Yesterday at 08:23

... what is interesting about both is that it looks like I could use either of them as my main edge router and let it do link aggregation from my two ISP data links. I am now looking into what kind of reporting system, if any, they offer. Let's say
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Furewall by Taym @ Yesterday at 07:31

Thank you all. So, Ubiquiti is a very interesting solution indeed, but my network is pretty much as I want it now - except for the firewall of course, and I'd guess a Ubiquiti firewall device would make little sense in a non-Ubiquity network, right?
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Furewall by canuckInOR @ 01/12/2020 22:34

I should add, there was a brief discussion on the differences between opnSense and pfSense in another thread on here -- it was Shonky who tipped me over the edge toward opnSense.
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Furewall by canuckInOR @ 01/12/2020 22:19

I've been happy enough with my OpnSense firewall. Easy enough setup and configuration. I have not gone too wild and crazy with it, though. I have it running on a Protectli 4-port Vault. If you plan on running a VPN on it, make sure whatever model
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Furewall by Dignan @ 01/12/2020 14:24

I'll be boring and recommend a Unifi network as usual They even have WiFi 6 devices in early access release and nearly available.
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Furewall by Taym @ 01/12/2020 10:43

Roger, just by looking at pfSense, it looks this is pretty much what I was looking for. Thank you. I'll check Firebrick too. I did not know pfSense made appliances as well.
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Re: Home Furewall by Roger @ 01/12/2020 10:05

I don't actually have a personal recommendation (I'm just using Synology kit these days), but if I was in the market for a "grown-up" firewall, I'd be looking at pfSense or Firebrick.
Off Topic
Jump to new posts Home Firewall by Taym @ 01/12/2020 09:54

So, if I wanted to install a firewall in my relatively complex home network - which became even more complex in the last year as I've been adding quite a few IOT devices -, what would you recommend? Ideal features I'd like to have: - fanless (not es