In reply to:

OTOH, if nothing presents itself, I just might be tempted to put a few pepperoni sticks in my backpack and jump on the plane. I already have the ticket, a tent and my trusty Thermarest, and can occasionally enjoy sleeping rough!

Whatever you do, don't bring any meat or meat releated products in to the country with you! [that probably includes pepperoni sticks].

The Border control people have really strict rules here, are really tough on that sort of thing and they "Xray" all baggage on incoming passengers looking for exactly these sorts of food products - if you have any on you will be fined up to $5,000USD or more.

So you'd be better leaving them at home and buying them here if thats what you want to live on.

Also make sure your tent and any camping equipment/sahoes etc are well cleaned of all soil and dirt etc before you leave home - if any of your camping stuff or clothes looks too dirty they will either force it to be cleaned at your cost, and/or confiscate it and let you have it back on the way back out = at least no tent or other stuff during your stay.

I don't think you want to sleep rough if you can help it [not that theres anything wrong with that...]

Besides the rally moves around too much for you to do that, better off getting a car and then be driven/driving yourself to where you need to go - most of it is within 2-3 hours drive max. of Auckland.

In any case, if you are short of funds, I think we can find some accomodation for you for your stay.

JABZ has some spare room in his room, and my back lawn has room for a tent :-))

No seriously, our guest room should be free [of visitors and costs] if you want to avail yourself of it - you have to like cats though - they come with the territory.

Drop me a PM once you know you're coming.