Quote:
Wow, I think we have similar systems! I've got an ASUS A7N8X ... this error is completely at random....

Yep, we've got identical hardware... For me, it started happening at random times (playing HL2), eventually it started happening after every bootup (about a minute into running). I searched the web with my best google-fu and found a lot of dissapointing info. One, it seems to only apply to AMD and AGP based ATI cards (nVidea shouldn't have a prob). Second, it was a Intel/M$ deal... something to do with memory managment (read security, aka DRM) designed for Intel's chips and it was only back ported to support AMD late in the development cycle (man, I hate M$ and DRM) So, I decided to cave in and completely scraped the system (i'm still struggling to get it to work) and buy a new P4 w/ hyperthreading and a cheapo PCIxpress video card. The strangest part was that it was happening when I installed linux on the machine, too. After alot of digging, it appears as though SP2 actually updates the firmware somewhere in the memory controller (on the motherboard for Intel, AMD does it in the CPU, I didn't realize CPUs could be updated)... I'm convinced that it is no longer fixable (can't reflash the mboard) and it's all SP2s fault! (but I'm biased against M$)... I havn't tried swapping out a different CPU or memory... Changing out the hardware could eliminate those causes...

If I were you and I really needed this hardware, I'd start from scratch... load the latest mboard firmware... install XP (without sp2) and install the latest ATI drivers (from ATI)... There is something of a chicken-egg situation where the motherboard uses SP2 memory managment, but the video drivers are all screwed up... Good luck!