Quote:
The only wierd thing is that the time and date have reset to 1994, I wonder if that has anything to do with it? I am doing a software update now so I guess I will soon find out if it was something to do with an update

If you reset the PRAM, this likely did it. PRAM is Mac speak for BIOS in the PC world (at least the popular term, not the nitty gritty tech details). PRAM holds the clock setting, along with some other things.

Quote:
Overall I am not very happy with OS-X at the moment, it leaves you high and dry without any idea what to do. I guess this is to make you take it down to your local Apple centre and pay them to put it right.

Any more high and dry compared to a Windows PC? It is different to troubleshoot an Apple machine. I find recovering from an error on an OS X machine generally easier, due to the unix underpinnings. That combined with the ease of reinstalling without losing things is very handy.

The links above were some pretty decent documentation on how to recover from a problem on Apple.com. I can't say I've ever found similar on any other major computer maker site without digging deep down. 3 clicks from Apple.com and I have a detailed list of things to try if my Powerbook doesn't turn on. 8 clicks on HP.com for my desktop here at work, and I can't even find a similar document. I'm stuck instead sitting here looking at things like "HP PC or Workstation - Why Does the Cursor Behave Erratically?" trying to find a document explaining why it might not power on.