Quote:
Well, you could at least have it fold all the hands you don't want to play.
That would be very useful. I've often wished for such a program. However, if I used that then I'd be missing valuable information from watching the other players (more important in tournament games than ring games).

Quote:
Also, you're using a pretty fixed algorithm in order to win. There's no reason you couldn't program that into a computer, or, again, at least enough that it knows when to hand it off to a real person.
When playing tournaments I am certainly not using a fixed algorithm- not for the big hands anyway. It's true that 90% of the hands I play fall into a pretty standard series of plays, but it's the remaining 10% where you win the most money (again, in NL).

For instance, say you have a pair of 9s and you hit K, 9, 5 on the flop, all different suits. You have a really great hand now, but certainly not unbeatable. MOST players on line would check here, no question, hoping to trap other players into betting, either as a steal or a legitimate hand (1 or 2 pairs). But if you always check, people will start getting more suspicions of a check than they will a bet. Plus, you're giving a free card and someone might draw to a hand that can beat you. It's a complex decision, and I play it differently depending on the trends at the table, the sizes of chips tacks, and any number of other variables. There's way too much of a human factor in this for a simple program to handle, I think.

A program might be able to stuble along winning some decent pots, but it's going to miss the really big ones that make the game really profitable. Of course, I should probably go read the article now and see how the bots really work . . .