Quote:
I tried one from either Linksys or Netgear, I can't remember which, which was just so slow and clunky that it wasn't worth having, I got my money back from Amazon.

I have a D-Link unit. It's terrible. The interface is slow, and the PC software completely inadequate.

I also have an Avel Linkplayer. That worked fairly well for me, but it still has issues streaming and it's also slow.

The absolute best solution I've found for playing computer video files is the LG LDA-511 (link, link). It's played all of my XviD encoded files, and [most importantly for me] it decodes AC3 audio streams. Best of all, it has decent speed when it comes to browsing through a disc of video files. It's really a great DVD player. The downside, of course, is that it is not networked. That's no big deal, though. I've found that it turns out to be less of a hassle to just burn the files to a DVD-RW and bring them to the player. I like this DVD player so much I bought a second one for my bedroom. You can find them for a little under $100.

One last note, I haven't experimented with it much, but the card reader in the LDA-511 isn't the best method for showing off your pictures. That part is pretty slow.