Quote:
For me, the ability to do REAL web stuff while away from home is a slam dunk. I've never seen another device do this as well. Those that are naysayers - do you NOT have a need for this functionality, or have you found soelutions that work well for you? If it's the latter, I'd like to hear what you use.

I use a Treo 650. It obviously falls well short of Safari on the iPhone, but it gets the job done. When I need to do real web things, I fire up my Macbook Pro and use my Treo's data connection.

I think some of this really comes down to the very subjective nature of the "is it worth it?" question. Some of you guys have more expendable cash, some of you needed a new phone anyway, some of you were already on AT&T/Cingular before, etc. My response to adavidw was just trying to state that there are reasons that one might come to the "it isn't worth it" conclusion, even if they could potentially afford the device and pay the insane monthly bill, and those reasons go well beyond being confused or lying to themselves.

Regarding typing speed, my suspicion is that the average iPhone user's effective typing speed will be around 50% of that of the average Treo or Blackberry user. Again, I base this on my experience (and the experiences of others) typing on a full-size multitouch keyboard and hitting a very low ceiling on the learning curve. But, we'll see.