Originally Posted By: Archeon
I thought about that scenario as well. I even found a way of distributing the TV signal over UTP cable. The only problems is indeed: this only works if you always only use one TV in the house at the same time, or watch the same channel on all connected TV's. Once you want to watch different channels on different TV's (not all that unthinkable if you consider the average home with parents + two children, which means at one time you will need at least 3 decoders!) It's exactly that scenario I'm trying to avoid, or am trying to find a solution for.

Nope. Not much you can do about it. Buy more set top boxes or tuner cards + smartcards. The companies want you to buy more anyway. I don't know of any single device that will tune to all available channels, decode them all and then distribute them around the house. They do this in a hotel by having a stack of receivers.

Originally Posted By: Archeon
Yeah, that's what I figured. It would not be easy, but at least the technological possibility is there, which is not the case with DVB-C. frown

Some DVB receivers have a CI slot to add a special PCCard + smartcard to enable decoding.

You'll still need multiple receivers and multiple cards however.