Originally Posted By: msaeger
The house is 2K square feet and with the location of the current setup I can't get more than 50 feet from the router. I never had a problem with signal strength with the old router.

I'm not 100% what you're saying here. Are you talking about the router that just died and one before it?

Regardless, if you get the WRT54GL and put Tomato on there, you'll be able to boost the signal strength so people two doors down will see it (or not, it's up to you smile ).

Quote:
Newegg review

Quote:
Pros: As the others have stated before me the WRT54GL benefits from the ability to be flashed with third party firmware. I would not recommend this router to someone who plans to use just the standard firmware, if that’s your intent I would go with the WRT54G. However, that being said this router is an excellent buy for someone with networking experience who wants an inexpensive router to do expensive networking tasks.

Ah, it took me a couple readings of that to see what they mean. The L version is generally about $10-30 more expensive than the non-L version, depending on where you get it. That reviewer isn't saying the stock firmware on one is better than the other, he's just saying (rightly so, IMO), that if you're not going to flash it, just get the cheaper one.

And I'd say that if you're not going to flash it, just get the cheapest 802.11g router you can find (as long as it has WPA/WPA2). They'll all do the job these days.