Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Originally Posted By: canuckinOR
Are you being snide, or just condescending?

Neither. I'm just astounded at the dismissal of trying to sell used books to a used book store.

My (closest) used book store specifically asks for "Any new releases from the last few months hardcover or paperback." They have lots of hardback books, as do the other five used book stores in town that I can think of.

Ah, see, I wasn't dismissing the notion -- we've obviously had very different experiences with our used book stores, and I was trying to suggest there might be a reason why even the Goodwill folks weren't interested in the books.

Quote:
I mean, are you going to get a huge amount of money for them? No. But it's better than throwing them in the dumpster.

Agreed. In our case, the book-selling was a way of helping to recoup the cost of purchasing clothing for a new infant (I can't believe that people spend so much money on brand new baby clothes, when they grow out of them so fast), and we've actually made more money from the books, than we've spent on the clothes.

Quote:
And most of them will take your books and donate them to charity if they don't want them to sell themselves.

I prefer to donate them to a charity directly, so that I can get the tax write off, but if you don't have one as handy as we do...