Originally Posted By: hybrid8
in the layout nothing is visually changing except the point I'm moving, while the numbers all change.

Yes, true. As you move things around, the scale changes.

Wile moving point B around there's no way to keep BC1 at a fixed length - am I guessing that as long as it's 1.0 then it represents 100% length?

I don't know; are you? If you are, you're guessing wrong. BC1 is, again, ***ALWAYS*** the length of the extended spring.

What I was describing was having only the single line representing the spring and to see it closed you'd change the angle of A. In other words, it would be more like a simulation of the real product rather than plotting simultaneously both open and closed.

Which is less useful than what I've provided you, unless you really have a burning desire to move mount points, then check the open setting, then move it to closed and check the closed setting.

the distance from A to C also needs to change

And it does, depending on the length of the extended spring and location of B. If you want it to be a particular length, just move B until it reports being that length.

If you want to be fancy, you could then define a circle with center on C1 that passes through B and then modify B to be required to be on that circle. (That's a circular definition, though, so you'll be required to create some sort of intermediary object before you modify B.) This will prevent the scale from changing.