Originally Posted By: Dignan
I have the Off Topic forum bookmarked as it's the only one I post in anymore. I have not noticed any slowdown at all. None. Not when getting to the forum, not when reading posts, not when posting. It's all as fast as I could ask for.

However, yesterday I wanted to go to the "General" forum to see if anyone had posted about the empeg.com site there. Simply clicking on the "empegbbs.com" top-level navigation link left me waiting for at least a minute before anything happened. During that time I even opened an unread thread in Off Topic (since it was frozen on the screen for an eternity), and THAT took ages to load too.

Anyone else doing this? Hopefully the SQL optimize run will help here, but I found this is one potential way to run a really expensive SQL query. Basically when you go to the normal front of the boards, it calculates how many unread messages you have in each section based on your last date visited in each. If it's been a really long time since you visited the front page, it's going to do a query that will hit a lot of DB rows that aren't likely to be in memory cache.

If you do only want to visit the off topic section of the boards, please hit "mark all read" at the bottom of the page from time to time. That should help avoid some of the expensive SQL queries. Hopefully version 8 will address that one with a better setup.

Keep in mind that in doing this, you also will miss out on any announcement threads and such. And it's lead to a number of "on topic" threads going to off topic.