I was really pissed off about this last night when I got the email. I was always a little surprised that they offered unlimited storage, but their new plans are way too much of a price hike.

Looking at Twitter, pretty much everyone is just as pissed about it. Personally, I currently have around 325GB of data up there, and the bulk of that is in my photos and my wedding video and home movies. Currently I'm on a plan of two years of service for $100, and under the new plans I'd be paying $140 per year. That's a 180% increase in price, and I'm taking up more and more space with every set of pictures I take. I still have quite some time left on my two-year subscription, though, so I have plenty of time to think over the alternatives.

But for you right now, Cris, there are definitely alternatives.

Mozy has actually always been the lesser twin of Carbonite, which offers basically the exact same product for nearly the exact same price. I'm pretty sure it's used by more people, too, as they do far more advertising than Mozy does (if you listen to anything on TWiT they've advertised with Leo for years). Now, there's nothing to say that Carbonite won't change their plans too, but I'd say that half of the people angry at Mozy on Twitter are jumping ship to Carbonite.

One product I'm a little interested in trying is the Pogoplug. I could put one of these in my mother's house (along with a large external drive) and back up all my stuff to that. Because we both have Fios, one benefit is that backups will go much faster.

Edited by Dignan (02/02/2011 13:14)