Originally Posted By: Dignan
[quote=adavidw]Aaron, you mentioned that the Kensington device gave you a bad ground loop. So the Tunelink did not?

No ground loop with the TuneLink. Their site says they have some sort of extra circuitry that either prevents that or combats that or something. I don't know exactly how they do it, but I have absolutely no ground loop with the TuneLink.

Quote:
Also, is that app necessary? I'm a little wary of a device that works on a standard (bluetooth), but touts itself as only being compatible with one device or another. Why couldn't they have made the same device work with apps on either platform? Because they wanted different colors? What if I don't want it to be a green LED ring? Sorry, I just find that odd.

It's odd indeed. I would really like to know if the two devices are the same inside save for the LED. I wouldn't be surprised if they're identical firmware even and just packaged with different manuals and boxes in a misguided attempt to make things easier for people.

I have the iPhone model, and I can take the TuneLink out of the box, pair the iPhone and start playing music through it to my aux in without ever even installing the app. I can't imagine the Android model is different. The app allows you to do a little more, like set the frequency and output level for the FM transmitter or set whether other devices can connect while you're connected. The app enables an intriguing mode that sounds fun for road trips where multiple devices can connect at once and queue up songs, and the device will rotate between them. Sounds cool, although I haven't had the chance to ever see if it will work in practice.

I don't have any non-iOS A2DP devices, so I can't tell you from experience whether Android or other devices can connect to the iPhone version, but their website FAQs say yes.