The next tool is Hiveminder.

It also supports task dependency, and, in a nice addition, you can set forward and reverse dependencies. It doesn't require that you go into a special edit mode to assign them, either. And by default, it only shows you the tasks you can complete, which is nice.

But, in order to assign a dependency, you have to enter a task ID. There's no dragging or any other gesture-like selection. And task IDs are short alphanumeric strings, like "3O8XO". Notably, it doesn't even offer a way to autocomplete a task ID based on entering the title or anything like that. You have to know the task ID. Since it hides dependent tasks, the task ID you need may be hidden. But even if it's not, it displays it in hard-to-read light gray.

Also, if you do want to look at all of your tasks, you're forced to use a search. And while you can save searches, that's only a feature of the pay version.

That's just the tip of the iceberg for UI problems, really. Okay, most of them are not problems, but newer apps (albeit without the feature I need) do so much better on this front. They're nice to look at and work with, and Hiveminder is just not. I tried to use it for a day, and it was just really a pain. Everything felt like a struggle.

But the thing that bothers me the most is that the last time that the developers mentioned Hiveminder on their blog, it was 2009, and even that was only the announcement of a third-party iOS tool. I feel like it's basically been abandoned.